Interesting IRS figures

Tom Adams

The IRS recently released some data covering income figures for the 10-year period from 1996 to 2005. The bottom one-fifth of income earners saw their income increase by 91%. And the top one-fifth of income earners went down by 26%. For all taxpayers the increase was 26%. Interesting..........

Tom

We keep being told how bad things are, how is Obama going to get elected if you keep publishing facts like these??? According to the IRS, 86% of all federal income taxes were paid by the top 25% of wage earners, the top 50% of wage earners pay 97% of federal income taxes. Data from the most recent Tax year info released by the IRS.

I'll play. The bottom one fifth is what most of us would call poor. Most of that increase might be due to the mandated increase in the minimum wage. As for the top fifth, well a lot of middle management has bit the dust lately, deservedly so in terms of cutting the fat. Look at the numbers, it's not all that hard to crack the top ten percent especially in terms of household income. I'm glad you guys are so comfortable. Most people are one injury or major health issue away from bankruptcy. At least you guys have no debt and can get by with your current plan.

Almost any mathematical computation of figures can be manipulated and professionally interpretated for a political agenda. For instance: The inflation index minus food and fuel? Give me a break.

JJK

No.....you give US a break and can the paranoia political agenda crap. Did you actually READ what I wrote?? It was a 10 year period from 1996 to 2005. How in the hell do you infer that some IRS statistic that doesn't include THE LAST THREE YEARS is a political agenda?? Good lord......maybe you should put your aluminum foil hat back on.

Tom

All politics aside the facts posted in the first post can be checked. whether you want to claim they mean nothing or you want to claim they show how great our economy is really doing. It is an easy matter to prove or disprove whether the statements are indeed true. As to the issue of most people being one major injury away from bankruptcy. I'd love to see some hard facts that show that.

The IRS recently released some data covering income figures for the 10-year period from 1996 to 2005. The bottom one-fifth of income earners saw their income increase by 91%. And the top one-fifth of income earners went down by 26%. For all taxpayers the increase was 26%. Interesting..........

Tom

Care to cite your source for the "data"? I think someone's been lying to you.

I'll play. The bottom one fifth is what most of us would call poor. Most of that increase might be due to the mandated increase in the minimum wage. As for the top fifth, well a lot of middle management has bit the dust lately, deservedly so in terms of cutting the fat. Look at the numbers, it's not all that hard to crack the top ten percent especially in terms of household income. I'm glad you guys are so comfortable. Most people are one injury or major health issue away from bankruptcy. At least you guys have no debt and can get by with your current plan.

I might propose that any economically stable country requires that there be both poor and rich.

I agree that it's not as comfortable to be poor, but riches are by no means a natural human right. I also don't believe that riches bring the level of satisfaction that many imply in these conversations.

And btw, many rich people can also be one major health issue from bankruptcy, or even one major financial issue from bankruptcy as well. No, not everyone has the same amount of risk in this life, but then life was never about being fair to begin with. Manipulating social systems to achieve personal gain is not what the government is for (and both sides seem to be guilty of this).