Foam surround repair question

MitsuMan

I picked up a pair of Boston Acoustics A100's locally for $20.00 but one of the surrounds has a dime-sized hole in it. The surrounds themselves are soft and pliable and really don't need to be replaced. Any suggestions for how to "patch" the hole? I've repaired treated cloth surrounds before but never attempted to patch a foam surround. Any help would be appreciated. [:)]

If you don't want to spend the time or money to replace the foam, patch it.

I have used Weldbond and patches cut from a thick plastic bag (it may have been a ziplock type). If it's not thick enough you can use multiple coats of Weldbond to build it up (allow to dry between coats).

If you don't want to spend the time or money to replace the foam, patch it.

I have used Weldbond and patches cut from a thick plastic bag (it may have been a ziplock type). If it's not thick enough you can use multiple coats of Weldbond to build it up (allow to dry between coats).

Thank you for the suggestion. [:)] It's not the money, more the time, as they will probably end up in my workshop system. I just hate the idea of the hole being there.

I have to add that the Weldbond works great. I did a repair on the foam surrounds of some JBL L56 woofers and they sound fabulous. While it is true that the compliance probably changed, they sounded way better than having a lot of splits in the foam. It only took a weekend of having them out of the cabs while I worked on them, i.e., put a coat on, do some yard work, put a coat on... Let them dry well...Put them back in the cabinets and WOW! For the splits, I used tissue paper (Christmas wrapping paper, but cig. paper will work too).

Bruce

Mitsu, after you finish rewelding your surround, come on over and listen to some Thiels and Klipsch stuff. I think I finally have the KHorns working well with the active crossover and three amps, and need a second and third set of ears. Grab Dave on the way if he has time! Paul will probably be heading down as well.

Will weldbond work on Klipsch surrounds? I ask because I have a KG3.2 with a tear in the passive radiator surround. When playing music through it, I hear no unusual sounds or distortion of any kind, no matter the spl. Soft or loud it seems to sound fine. I would just like to make it look better without replacing the surround or passive radiator.

Tom

Is there any of the surround missing? What is the surround material made of? As I mentioned, I used a tissue paper that is fairlly substantial to begin wih. It just holds the Weldbond, and must stay in place until dry.

Is there any of the surround missing? What is the surround material made of? As I mentioned, I used a tissue paper that is fairlly substantial to begin wih. It just holds the Weldbond, and must stay in place until dry.

It's a type of rubber and there seems to be none of it missing. It has been ripped somehow. It looks as if something sharp has come into contact with it somehow.

These were given to me by someone who had moved into a new home and no longer wanted to use them in their HT setup. They went with some little bitty things. I hope they sound as good as these KG3.2's.

I have never tried anything like this repair before. Ant tips to make it easy?

It's a type of rubber and there seems to be none of it missing. It has been ripped somehow. It looks as if something sharp has come into contact with it somehow.

These were given to me by someone who had moved into a new home and no longer wanted to use them in their HT setup. They went with some little bitty things. I hope they sound as good as these KG3.2's.

I have never tried anything like this repair before. Any tips to make it easy?

Tom,

I wish I had taken pics when I did the repairs on the JBLs, but I didn't have a digital camera at the time, and it was so simple to do.

The Weldbond is water based, and I took a tiny bit and thinned it out. Maybe 50-50, or more. With the woofers out of the cabinets, and face down on some clean surface, I placed a small piece of the tissue over each split, and wet the tissue with the Weldbond, using a small artist paint brush.. I put a coat all the way around the back side of the surround, let it dry and then another coat.

I then put the woofs on their backs and brushed on a couple of coats on the front of the surrounds. It does dry with a slight gloss, which is one reason you want to do the whole surround. You can have it thinned to where you think it won't do any good, and goes on like water. Perhaps go over the split itself a couple more times to make sure it seals well.

It you keep grills on these, it won't matter if you are a bit messy, but the JBLs came out fine and you can't tell from the listening position.

Bruce

MM,

Seeing as how the BA100s are sealed cabinets and there's a lot of pressure on the foams I doubt a repair will hold or even properly work.

The surrounds on most of these were only good for 8-12 years or so at most and should be replaced and the woofers resealed in the cabinet.

If the foams completely split or even partially split and let the cone "short out" against the frame it's like shorting your speaker wires together with the amp on. Not a good idea.

Best advice here is replace the foams on the A100s. The 10" woofer is an easy repair. Glue removes easily and the voice coils have more than enough play in them to "float" fit the new surrounds.

This is NOT a woofer I'd patch up the surrounds on. Replace the foam. Properly repaired and sealed up they are a good sounding speaker.

If you need help I'd be glad to walk you through it. Nothing to it actually.

Best of luck,

Harry

The JBLs are a sealed box as well. They have been back in use for three years now, and are holding up very well. If the Weldbond doesn't hold up, you aren't really out much and could go ahead and spend the money on new/replacement surrounds. After you put a couple of coats of Weldbond on the surrounds, they do very well.

The Weldbond is inexpensive, you are mostly putting in a little time. This isn't to get into an argument with Harry, as his advice is also good. I'm just too cheap.

Bruce

Well, deep down I know I should just refoam them. If they were going in any of my 4 main systems, I wouldn't even ask and would just buy new surround kits. Since they're going to basically be a garage/workshop speaker I wasn't going to bother. But on the other hand, they would be good candidates for my first DIY surround project as I paid less for them than what the new surrounds cost. [^o)]

I think I'll try the repair first, and go ahead and order the kit. Again, thanks for the input gents.

Craig