Forte has a Fluttering Passive Radiator

Cut-Throat

A Friend of mine that is located about 500 miles from me has a Pair of Fortes. He has told me over the phone that one of the Fortes Passive Radiators (The woofers on the Back) is "Fluttering and does not work like the other one. He is not technically inclined and has asked me what could be wrong. I don't know anything about Fortes. What kind of problem does this sound like? He claims that there is no obvious damage to the speakers.

First look for physical damage to the passive.

He claims that there is no damage and both look the same. What I was wondering is what is inside a Forte. Is there any Dampaning material? Something that may be getting in the way of the Passive? Is the Passive hooked up to the Crossover at all. Or does it just sit there?

Think of a "passive" radiator as a woofer without a voice coil or magnet structure. When removed, you basically have the basket, cone and dust cover. It is not connected to the crossover and only serves to take the back pressure of the woofer to enhance the lower frequency response. The only damping material is on an angled baffle inside the cabinet below the PR. Have your friend check the dust cover which is the smaller round piece in the center of the cone. Occasionally those come un-glued and can create noise. He should also check the condition of the rubber surround which attaches the cone to the basket. They can become worn and split which could cause this problem also. It is also possible that there is a problem with the woofer that is making it seem like the passive radiator is making noise.

I hope this helps.

Mark