Hiding wires

wsu99999

I wanted to ask everyones opinion on hiding wires. As most on the forum, I'm an electronics geek. I have about 10 components hooked up to my tv, 5 speakers, computer, etc all in the same area. It looks like a nightmare! I have big balls of wire everywhere. It looks like Im a cat with more yarn then I know what to do with.

How do you all combat the wire situation at your home:? Any good items from Parts Express you use to help? Any ideas are appreciated.

I recently bought an expandable wire loom from Parts Express. It's 1 1/8" in diameter and made of a braided nylon that is very flexible (it was $20 for 6ft if I remember correctly). I use it for the video and speaker cable between my audio rack and video cart. It lays neatly on the floor and can be purchased in different lengths, and there is a velcro zipper for adding wires later. As far as the mess behind the audio rack, do yourself a favor and take a day and separate everything. I use one side of the back of my rack for just power cables and I neatly tie wrap (or you can use those nice velcro wraps) the power cables together. The other side I use for all interconnects and speaker cables and again I neatly tie wrap things in place. Just a simple tidying up of wires will make your system quieter and much more enjoyable to use and look at. Loop the extra wire neatly and tie wrap to avoid a birds nest, and avoid large loops of extra speaker wire as this increases inductance.

I guess one suggestion would be to use HDMI or digital cables instead of standard RCA interconnects whenever possible. It will help decrease the amount of wires needed and also help in lessening or eliminating signal interference with the other cables you have.

One trick if you have a large amount of exposed wires running along the floor against the wall is to use neoprene pipe insolation. It is basically a black neoprene tube slotted so the wires can easilly be inserted. It is available in different diameters and different lengths. It is very inexpensive and available from Home Depot or many other hardware stores.

Use velcro tie wraps to bundle and organize wires behind equipment.

pipe-insolation.jpg

• 2 weeks later...