Opinions on my HT system, please...

CharlieTuna

Hi,

I would like to get some feedback on my HT system. This system was put together over a few years and I have not been following A/V stuff recently.

A/V components:

Pioneer SD-P4565 45" projection TV

Monster HTS-5000-MKII HT power center

Yamaha DSP-A1 AV amp

Toshiba SD-3109 DVD player

Panasonic PV-4663 VHS VCR

Nakamichi CDC-300 (200) CD-changer

Speakers:

mains - Klipsch Quartets

sub - SW-10

center - KG2.2V

effects - (4) Quintets (rear and front DSP), swapped out (4) KG1.2s because of size

Connections:

Monster Video-3/MK-II/optical audio

Monster 12 gauge OMC speaker wire

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

------------------

=========================

I can't believe Denise Richards dumped me for Charlie Sheen!!!

Ok, I see some views, but no posts. Specifically, I'd like to know the following:

1) Is it worth upgrading to the RF-7s from the Quartets?

2) Should I maybe go for an RSW-12?

3) Are the Quintets inadequate for surround speakers?

4) Should I go to a KSC-C1 center channel?

I love my Klipsch speakers and am just looking for some advice about whether it's worth upgrading. Thanks.

------------------

1) Is it worth upgrading to the RF-7s from the Quartets?

Yes, most definitely

2) Should I maybe go for an RSW-12?

yes, most definitely

3) Are the Quintets inadequate for surround speakers?

They would do for now

4) Should I go to a KSC-C1 center channel?

No, you want all the speakers to be timbre matched. You will want the RC7 for the center channel.

Whether it is worth upgrading is totally up to you. No one here can place value on that for you.

Most of us here are continually upgrading. It's a disease.

------------------

deanG

Ok, lets see if I can help....

In order:

1) I have not heard the Quartets, but I do have a set of Forte II's and a set of Chorus I's, which are the big brothers of the Quartet. The RF7's seemed to compare pretty favorably to my Chorus I's, and have a bit stronger bottom end. I think they sounded pretty similar to my Forte II's. That should put them a step or two above the Quartets, but you might not deem the improvement necessary when cost is taken into consideration. You would have to hear the RF7's in order to make that decision.

2) The RSW-12 should be a considerable improvement over the SW10....on the other hand, the general consensus here on the board is that if you have the room...check out SVS.

3) If you really want the best out of your system, especially with the Quartets or the RF7's, you should look into better speakers for your rear surrounds than the Quintets. The KG1.2's were probably a better bet. The Quintets would probably be fine for your front surround channels though.

4) I'm not sure, but I don't think the KSC-C1 would be an improvement over your current center. The best match for the Quartets would be the elusive (and expensive) Academy. If you go to the RF7's it's a no brainer...get the RC7

Hope this helped.

Speed

------------------

Klipsch Chorus I Mains

Klipsch Academy Center

Klipsch Forte II surrounds

Marantz SR19EX Receiver

Yamaha 5 CD Changer

Mitsubishi WS-55807 55" HDTV

Playstation 2 for games/DVD

The Yamaha is a cool beast!

I think the SC1 is a wee bit small for a center. There are tonal matching issues between center and mains BUT the RC3 is a real nice speaker, I have never heard the RC7.

Kipsch subs do not come cheap in the new models. Many people who are big on Klipsch mains enjoy SVS, HSU, and use Adire Audio for more economical high performance subs.

I do not know much about the Nak CD player; consider an outboard digital to analog converter(DAC) if you have a digital output to improve the sond of CDs.

We will not discuss speaker wire that is a wild topic.

Happy Klipsching

Great! I'm liking (and appreciate) all the posts. I've had my speakers for a while (was new to stereo gear) and have upgraded other components except for them. I just drool over the new stuff, but there are no dealers where I live (cow town), so I look for leads from others to continue researching. I do know that I really like Klipsch. Even the Quartets have a beautiful horn sound and outclass my friends systems.

Keep it coming. Thanks!

------------------

Glad to see Charlie Tuna making the Klipsch choice... but it't still not likely to put you in the can. But, making the wrong choice at center can make you feel that way. You can probably catch my "spindrift" on the post in this section entitled "C-7 vs. RC-7?"

In the main, the Big 'Bump (aka Speed) is making some good points. Your Klipsch experience is slanted toward the Klipsch of old that so many of us prefer... but you hint at size as a problem that fostered downsizing your "rear." Grand old Klipsch speakers need more room to work their magic than does the younger copper-topped speaker generation.

The old horney sound is less polished but more forceful. The new sound gets more points with the audiophile crowd and comes is smaller, "cooler" packages.

The old 12" sub is not all that bad for its day, I used three of them with a pair of 15"s in an experimental system. Bringing an old system up to speed needs two things... a great center and a great subwoofer. If the new Klipsch 15" doesn't fit your budget, I would echo the 'Bumps SVS suggestion. It worked for me... big time!

I even agree that the RC-7 is a "no brainer" but probably not in the same sense that the 'Bump does!

Remember, your present system was probably chosen before 5.1 (and above) Dolby Digital and dts came on the scene with discrete channels instead of the scanty aural clues of yesteryear surround. Discrete channels beg for full size speakers to do their best work.

The big advantage of discrete channels is that the sound is less dependant on room characteristics because the engineers can create virtual sound space by correctly mixing the 5.1 (or more) channels... giving you more the movie experience that they ment for you to enjoy. Newer receivers convert 5.1 to 6.1 to allow the surrounds to be moved up to just behind your "sweetspot" facing inward from the side walls and putting a rear effects channel on the back wall. Now, the sound engineers mix the movie anticipating five or six speakers of similar characteristics... and, thus, can program a far greater range of ambiance into multiple discrete channels.

You have enjoyed many great yesterdays... but do be careful, you have to keep your ears "pickey" and your brain engaged when you venture into tomorrow.

Enjoy! cwm9.gif HornEd

------------------

"Where Klipsch Legends Keep Sound Live!"

FOREGROUND SOUND STAGE:

KLF 30 Center, KLF 30 Mains, Klipsch SB-2 Front Effects

BACKGROUND SOUND STAGE:

KLF 30 L&R Side/Surrounds, KLF 30 Rear Effects

LARGE MOUTH BASS:

Twin SVS CS-Ultra sub with Samson Megawatt Amp

SPEAKER SUPPORT SYSTEMS:

Mitsubishi RPHD1080i 65", Yamaha RX-V3000 Receiver

Toshiba Pro Scan 6200, Toshiba Pro 6-head SVHS W808

and such... Tweakin' On!

Music Respite Room: Cornwalls & SVS 16-46

Klipsched Motor Home Under Testing/Construction

This message has been edited by HornEd on 01-30-2002 at 07:09 AM

Find yourself a nice pair of Chorus II's (or Forte II's) for mains and move your Quartets to the rear. These speakers can be had for less than half of what a new pair of RF-7's go for (I paid $500 for my Chorus II's and $600 for my Chorus I's and they are both mint). You will also want to get your hands on a Academy but a KLF-C7 sounds pretty good with either of these speakers (not perfect, but adequate). If you can swing it, buy a pair of both (for about the same price as a pair of RF-7's) and move the Quartets to front and rear center channels. This system would rock your world, believe me! Movies will be awesome but multi-channel music will blow you away...

Mike

------------------

My Music Systems

My A/V area is part of a large open space occupying the middle of my home. The room is ~ 20+ ft. by 50 ft., the A/V area is bounded by paneling on the front and back, sliding glass doors on the left(curtains) and open on the right. Eight foot ceiling and terrazzo floor. My rear surrounds ane behind and above me.

Ok, here's my current thinking:

1) I'm gonna keep the Quartets; I like the sound and think the RF-7s will sound too different-no horns. I think they fit my A/V area.

2) The KG2.2V center sounds pretty; I'll have to hear the RC-7.

3) Perhaps a RSW-15 would provide better bass for video and music.

4) re-evaluate my surrounds; maybe break out the KG1.2s again or maybe some RS models. Do these work good behind you?

QUESTION: could someone explain or URL me to some info on LFE inputs.

This is a fairly active forum and I appreciate the info.

------------------

Charlie,

First of all, all Klipsch speakers have horns. The RF-7's only have one horn for the upper octaves, whereas your Quartets have a midrange and tweeter horn. Secondly, if you are going to keep your Quartets as your mains, the RC-7 will not be a good match for that speaker. You can get yourself a KLF-C7 off of Ubid for $249 delivered that will be a much better match. I am using one for my Chorus's at the moment and am very satisfied with it. As for the surrounds, if you are happy with your KG's, then stay with them but you can do much better. If you like multi-channel music, you will want a full range speaker for your rears (Quartets, Heresy's, Forte II's, etc). Personally, I would try to find a pair of Forte II's and use them as your mains, and move the Quartets to the rear. As for subwoofer choices, I would seriously look at SVS as one of your choices. As far as bang for the buck goes, these guys are tough to beat...

Mike

------------------

My Music Systems

This message has been edited by Mike Lindsey on 01-30-2002 at 10:25 AM

Mike,

Yeah, bad call on the horns comment. Sorry. Right now, my system is used more for movies than music; I tend to be moving around the house and doing things while listening to music. You really think full speakers are best for rears? I guess I always thought of rears as supporting movies and only provided "ambient sound". Never had full speakers as rears. May be a space issue with me; they'd be real close to the sitting area.

I've seen used Forte IIs for sale ~ $550.00. Are they that much better than the Quartets?

I'll look at the KLF-C7 and check out the RSW-15 and SVS subs.

BTW, we're almost neighbors (Oviedo, Satelliet Beach)

Thanks for the info.

CharlieTuna

------------------

Where is Sattelite Beach? My Chorus II's are in the rear and are only 1 foot away from my couch and sound great! You just have to adjust the levels on your receiver to get the volumes to balance. If you would like to hear what movies and multi-channel music sound like, come on over and have a listen. I am home all day, as I work from the house...

Mike

Edit: here are a couple of pics...

------------------

My Music Systems

This message has been edited by Mike Lindsey on 01-30-2002 at 12:47 PM

Mike,

Satellite Beach is on the east coast just NE of Melbourne. Actually, your A/V area doesn't look any bigger than mine. I could fit some rears as you have done. I'd have to find another power source to drive two more speakets in the back. My Yamaha is maxed out (which supports front DSP effects). Maybe I should have bit for the RS-3s. Hmmm.

I'll send a picture of my system later.

CT

------------------

Mike,

Here is a small pic of my system, minus the quintet rears:

DCP_1004r5.JPG

I'm sure the quintets look rather whimpy. A local has a pair of Chorus for sale for about $700.00. Don't know whether I should bite. I feel at worst, all I'm lacking is better bass and surrounds.

Question: when you have a full set of rear speakers, what signal is carried to them? Is it the same as the mains?

Thanks,

CT

------------------

=====================================

Always looking for some good advice.

Ok, I was trying to use the paperclip button. Anyway, third time's a charm?

Question: when you have a full set of rear speakers, what signal is carried to them? Is it the same as the mains?

CT

------------------

CT - The signals going to the rears are, of course, the rear channel signals, which will be different from the mains.

I'm guess you're wondering if you would set the rears to large or small, as far as bass management goes. And that's an imprecise science. Some (like HornEd for example) feel that they should all be small, so you don't run into standing waves and collisions and cancellations and all that stuff. Others think you should take advantage of the bass abilities of your speakers, and augment it with the sub. It's up to you!

Doug

------------------

My System

Doug,

I was commenting on Mike's (above, see photos) system. He has a set of rear floor speakers as well as rear surrounds. I'm assuming the surrounds are carrying the normal rear signals and thought the floor speakers were carrying the same signals as the mains. Of course, much of this stuff is new to me. Thanks for your comments.

CT

------------------