Why no stuffing in la scala dog house?

jdm56

One of the purposes of damping material inside cabinets is to reduces internal standing waves. In a LS doghouse there isn't that much internal volume and very little parallel surfaces, therefore not an issue.

Stuffing a cabinet with polyfill material increases the apparent volume of the cabinet (to the cone) by a certain factor. In the LS doghouse the cabinet volume isn't a highly critical design parameter, so again not an issue.

Why do it if it doens't make a hill of beans difference.

"In a LS doghouse there isn't that much internal volume and very little parallel surfaces, therefore not an issue. "

yep.

what little parallel surfaces that do exist, has a woofer in the way to break up reflected waves.

Like I said, just curious! I saw some pictures on here somewhere of la scala's for sale and the owner had taken pics inside the doghouse. It just got me wonderin' why there's no absorptive material in there. I'd think if it was stuffed full of polyfil or some such thing, that it would make some audible/measureable difference, but I guess not.

Like I said, just curious! I saw some pictures on here somewhere of la scala's for sale and the owner had taken pics inside the doghouse. It just got me wonderin' why there's no absorptive material in there. I'd think if it was stuffed full of polyfil or some such thing, that it would make some audible/measureable difference, but I guess not.

jdm56,

Neither the Klipschorn nor the LaScala bass bins use any absorbitive material in them, reason is extremely simple- they are horns and are supposed to resonate. It is part of their design and efficiency.

Roger

Neither the Klipschorn nor the LaScala bass bins use any absorbitive material in them, reason is extremely simple- they are horns and are supposed to resonate. It is part of their design and efficiency.

When a horn loads the driver's diaphragm that loading is resistive, therefore non-resonant. Below Fc the enclosure behaves like a sealed box and is a resonant system in that range. In some horn designs output below Fc is a significant part of the performance of the system.

I think it's because the rear chamber is undersized and putting in some stuffing can make it appear larger....I wonder if it looking larger is merely the effect on the Q?

I think it also helps attenuate the vertical standing waves that build up in the rear chamber too (since it is the only set of parallel walls).

I'm trying to remember where I read this, and I won't remember the correct terms, but...

I thought I had read that an ideal horn loaded speaker would have the impedance caused by the horn to be equal to the loading/reactance (whatever the correct term would be) from the sealed chamber the driver is mounted in.

Mike, have you read this anywhere? I have been thinking about how you calculate the size of the cabinet (apart from the horn on the front side)

Bruce

As I understand things in the Jubilee, the rear chamber volume is determined for reactance annulling (increasing the output at the very low frequencies). In the Jub, the chamber is a bit small relative to calculation. The stuffing will have little effect on standing waves since the thickness of the material is tiny compared to the wavelengths at low frequencies (as someone suggested). However, the velocity of the waveform will change due to the stuffing material (changes density and consequently changes the velocity). It is this change in velocity that will make the chamber "seem "larger.

As I understand it at least,

-Tom