Help,I May Need A New Crossover and Cabinet Reglue For A Heresy II, 1986

nola

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now I make up small batches of the bondo. Use very small amounts of the hardener or it will harden before you can get it applied. Only make small batches, or just enough for one or two corners, etc.. The bondo can now be used over the resin/ epoxy stuff, because that stuff made the MDF hard. The bondo which is a polyester resin will chemically bind to the epoxy stuff you saw used earlier in the massive "surgery".

This next part is critical to the success of the re-veneering. One of two things have to be in place for the veneer to work: Both relate to the final sanding.

If I am going to use Heatlock glue and iron the veneer on, I will only final sand the wood to a 180/220 grit surface. I need some grain surface for that glue to adhere to. It is water based, fairly thick and does not easily penetrate the wood if the sanding is too fine. The stuff has to penetrate into the wood so when it cures, it binds the veneer to the wood.

In this case however, I am going to use PSA (pressure sensitive adhesive) backed veneer and in the case of Carl’s H-II’s, veneer contact cement. PSA and contact cement require a finer, smoother finish so the majority of the adhesive does not penetrate or saturate the wood. Not only will I use 220 and then 320 grit for a very smooth finish, I will also use an oil based sanding sealer when I’m finished to make sure the surface is ready with a chemical coating that will bond with the contact cement/ adhesive, etc.

The tool? Random orbital sander and the pads...

For beginners to the world of re-veneering.... I mentioned "Heatlock" glue and an iron. Very easy to work with. Surface prep is easy, and it’s easy to tell if you have not got it right. You can also use the iron to touch up where veneer is lifting, etc. If you are interested in technical details of the different methods of veneering, you should also go to www.joewoodworker.com and read his reference library regarding how to veneer.

I will do one of the cabinet panels of the H-I's later to demonstrate how to use the heatlock.