Help,I May Need A New Crossover and Cabinet Reglue For A Heresy II, 1986

nola

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can also spray lacquer.... Unfortunately... in order to do it you will need a compressor, a finishing gun, proper nozzle (DeVilbiss fine spray, 1.2 mm max), respirator, gloves, etc. This gun is a HVLP (high volume, low pressure) which operates at about 45 PSI. The compressor is set at 50-60, and there is another pressure regulator which screws on the bottom of the gun (not shown). Notice metal cup. You must use metal cups for lacquer. In this case, I will spray the motor boards and add some flatting agent to the lacquer to make them a satin, almost flat appearance which contrasts nicely with semi-gloss finish.

The good part is that spraying usually comes out perfect.... Bad thing is that all of the equipment (to do it right) can set you back over $1000 by the time it’s over.

Here’s the H-I motor boards sprayed with the "flattened" laquer. I used the gun to show the results when laquer is sprayed. Perfectly even, and absolutely no brush marks, etc. It can be done with a spray paint can of lacquer if you are really good at using spray paint..... Don’t laugh, if you know what you are doing, spray cans for small jobs are a quick and effective alternative.

Here’s the reverse of the PSA along with the tools necessary to do it. Cutter to slice the backing to peel; scissors for excess overhang and to clip the corners once applied; big fat nylon paddle to push the veneer out as I peel the back; and my trusty veneer block. It’s a piece of 2x4 that has been sanded with 600 grit, with the edges on the face side rounded.

Take the scissors and cut off the excess overhang. The remainder will be removed with an edgebanding trimmer. You can also use a router with a flush cut bit, but a good router and a flush cut bit will set you back $150+ even for a cheap set-up. Inexpensive method with scissors and the edgbanding trimmer is what I’m showing for the readers because of the cost involved.

Trimmed and I now "ease" the edges. In this case, I use the block and using a downward angle of about 75 degrees (almost but not quite vertical) I "ease" the edge sloping towards the rear panel. This does two things; first it removes any strings, glue squeeze-out, and sands the edge. The second thing it does is that it makes the edge much less likely to catch on a fingernail, etc. when lifting the speaker.

I follow the instructions.... and rolled that contact cement on the veneer backs and on the cabinet sides. Gotta’ work fast with contact cement because it is ready to do it’s thing in about 10-15 minutes. In this case I used regular contact cement shown in the previous picture. It will work just fine if you are careful..... Once the stuff is properly "tacky", I simply "peel" up my panels and head to the cabinets.

Positioning is critical, because once the stuff touches, it’s stuck.... In the photo, but hard to see are pencil marks on the veneer and the cabinets. I align the panels with those marks, and lay the sheet down in a "curve". This causes the center to contact first and then I carefully "roll" the rest of the sheet out. This prevents bubbles, etc. It’s not hard, but if you decide to use contact cement, you should practice the technique with the panels before applying the glue.

Once it’s down, I use my wood block and push it back and forth to make sure the veneer has a good contact.