cartridge recommendation

mdbrien

I 2nd the Garrott P77. I had one on my Technics SL1800 before I dumped that POS table for something decent. I must say the P77 sounded better than most everything else I tried. In the end, the table just wasn't up to snuff IMO. I tried and tried to get it to sound half decent but in the end, the $100 Thorens TD165 that replaced it sounded 1000% better. I've been through about 4 tables since and my advice is to take your time and research to make sure your cart, arm and table are compatible and mate well.

"Here is the best part, pops, clicks and surface noise are lower on this cart than others that I have tried".

Well wait just a minute there youngster. How can a cart sound better yet produce less surface noise?

I mean if it's a really good cart, shouldn't it reveal everything, including that noisy stuff you have to "tune out" in order to enjoy the music.

I would think the higher up the cart chain you go the more background noise you are subject to. Indeed by about a $1000 bucks or so, you shouldn't be able to hear the music over that pesky litle piece of dust hair wrapped around your needle.

Indeed that's why I'm abandoning vinyl for cassette tapes.

FOOD FIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Big Smile

To quote a great man:

"I fart in your general direction. Your mother was a hampster and your father smelled of elderberries."

Don't even think of building a large wooden badger in seeking your revenge!!!

I 2nd the Garrott P77. I had one on my Technics SL1800 before I dumped that POS table for something decent. I must say the P77 sounded better than most everything else I tried. In the end, the table just wasn't up to snuff IMO. I tried and tried to get it to sound half decent but in the end, the $100 Thorens TD165 that replaced it sounded 1000% better. I've been through about 4 tables since and my advice is to take your time and research to make sure your cart, arm and table are compatible and mate well.

That being said, a cartridge mass in the 4.5 to 5.5g range should work well with the op's arm.

Hey garymd,

Do you think I'd do better to find a different turntable than playing around with the Technics SL1200mk2? I would hate to spend any money on a cartridge and find that it just won't sound good with the Technics. I would be willing to spend up to $500 on a turntable including the cartridge.

Thanks,

For $500 I would stick with what you have and get a good cartridge, several have been recommended. Save your money for a vpi scout, don't bother with anything in between. I say this out of financial efficiency, i.e. buzz per dollar. JMO obviously.

I agree with OT. Don't bother buying another entry level table at this point. Get a decent cart and play around with your new toy. The next table you buy should be one that will last you a very long time. It's good to get your feet wet the way you are. I didn't care for my Technics but many here like them a lot and you may also.

Thanks jay, I figured as much. I probably will too. Had the AT being shipped to me a while back, the shipping jerks lost it. I'm think of trying the denon dl110 or 160 next.

OT the AT440 is a great value!!! I don't think you can beat it with anything in or near it's price range. Really a nice cart. for the money.

Jay

Thanks jay, I figured as much. I probably will too. Had the AT being shipped to me a while back, the shipping jerks lost it. I'm think of trying the denon dl110 or 160 next.

Yea, that was mine. Fed Ex is fun to deal with. That took a while tpo get the refund.

I replaced the AT440 with a loaner Micro that has some milage on it, which was much better, but cost significantly more (like $500 or so). I then bought the Denon DL160 and Sumiko headshell. The Denon is as good as the Micro if not better and much better than the AT440. Much more dynamic, quieter (surface noise) and the midrange is far better. The AT440 sounds dull and muffled in comparison (at least on the Technics Sl1200).