TT for a "budget" vintage system - What are some good choices??

tlarwa

I am in the process of putting together my "vintage" 2-ch system, on a budget, of course. Tube integrated amp, heritage Klipsch (hopefully Cornwalls, I keep looking), a Sony X55ES CDP and a nice vintage TT to mark my return to vinyl after selling it all off in the late '80s[:'(]

I'm trying to compile a list of "desirable" turntables to keep my eyes and ears open for. I'm not in a huge hurry, so I'm willing to wait for the right deal to come along ... I'm just not sure what to look for. I really like the look of wood bases, as they are the TTs from my youth. I especially like the older Marantz and Denon TTs. I'm all ears for suggestions and opinions as to what might be a table to suit my needs that I can hopefully find for "cheap" if I keep my eyes open. Dual, Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, AR all have models I'm attracted to, but I'm not sure which ones are/were any good. Help???

Tom

Some of the Pioneer tables from the era are better than average, thinkin' of the PL 530 in particular. I have one that I use now and again, they can be found for under a hundred and when equipped with a decent cartridge (shure M97xe) are pretty good performers. I know that I was very surprised when I got mine from a yard sale this year, instead of "passing it along" I kept it to listen to my less than stellar vinyl.

I really like the look of wood bases, as they are the TTs from my youth.

If you really like the look of a wood base, you can get one for a Technics SL-1200 (or SL-1210, if you prefer black to silver) from KAB USA, in walnut, cherry or maple. Scroll to the bottom of this page to see them. Also lots of other Technics info.

http://www.kabusa.com/frameset.htm?/

I would have to say that since my purchase of my Thorens 160 and Shure M97xE I have been very happy. I believe that I spent about $200 for the setup and only had to buy a new belt for the Thorens. This is my first real TT and I couldn't be happier with this setup and the Cornwalls that it plays thru. Good luck on your search.

James