Need Help With New TV

jamesV

I am really thinking about getting a new TV, which means I am driving my gf crazy. I would like to stay around $1000, this will be for everyday use and movies in a 20x20 room. I sit about 11' from the TV with two windows behind the TV, this should not be a problem as I am getting room darking shades and curtains. I have seen three choices and they are.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8723045&type=product&id=1200703056300

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8749438&type=product&id=1202649424626

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8753734&type=product&id=1202649765525.

I know the DLP is phasing out but it does look good and is the only one to offer 1080 at this price point. My real question is, would I really benefit from getting a 1080 over a 720 at my sitting distance.

Thanks in advance,

James

• Moderators

Before I decided I was going to go with a projection unit, I researched a lot on 50" displays. I ended up finding that the Panasonic that you mention has extremely great reviews. I was wanting a Samsung but was convinced after much research the Panny would provide a better picture. As far as 720 vs 1080...I have heard different opinions. Some suggest that with a screen that small, you wouldn't notice that much difference between a 720 and a 1080. I wonder myself if you will see $700.00 worth of difference going with the 1080. But please don't take my advice on the 720 vs 1080. I have never owned a flat panel before. I still have a 32" CRT and have not purchased my projection yet. Online reviews of the Panny will tell you it is a good unit.

Youth,

Thanks for the feedback, I remember that thread that you started about TV choices. I also remember seeing that same statement also, about the 720 and 1080 difference. I also currently have a 32" CRT Sony that is over 10 year old, so I think that I got my money out of it.

James

James,

If you wait 3 to 6 months you might have more options in 1080 resolution. I've noticed that 1080 is becoming a lot more common. I've also noticed that DLPs seem to be disappearing and LDCs seem to be taking over. Besides their other shortcomings, the LCDs do appear to be improving quite a bit in their handling of motion with faster response times down to 4ms and many now refresh at 120 hz instead of 60 hz.

At 50" DLP may still be a good option though they do seem to be losing favor ...

Let us know what you end up choosing. Our old 32" RCA tube will probably die (again) one of these days and I'll need to be shopping for a new TV or put up with an old 19 or 20" tube.

At the distance you will be sitting 1080p has very little advantage (almost none at all) and the thing to remember is 1080p is not the end all in picture quality you are much better off getting a display which excells in other aspects of picture quality.

Plasma is the best picture and the best choice, Panasonic plasma is the superior plasma in your price range and one of the best period. The consumer Panasonic plasmas are very good and highly recommended, the professional model Panasonic plasma is Panasonics best performing plasma with Panasonics best picture quality. The Panasonic pro models are excellent and compare and compete with displays selling at much more than double their price.

The Panasonic pro models feature Panasonics very best picture quality and have a very realistic beautiful picture. The Panasonic pro models are the best built most reliable plasmas with the lowest failure rate and best warranty available. The Panasonic pro models feature a very sleek thin bezel frame the best looking plasma display in my opinion (and many others I have heard from). I own the Panasonic TH50PH9UK now a 2 year old Panasonic pro model, when I bought mine there was a special free 5 year in home warranty direct from Panasonic. I have owned my display almost 2 years now it still is like new in every way and I would not trade it for a new model of any other model plasma display, yes even those selling for far more.

Make sure you check Sears for price before you buy. I shopped hard for my new Panasonic 50" plasma TH-50PZ85U and Sears had a deal with a Sears charge you could pick whether to have no interest for a year or an immediate 10% off- and they were cheaper than BB an CC already with no delivery charge. Couldn't be happier with the TV. They say 1080 is only noticiable with a BluRay player, so I went out and bought a BluRay. Had to rationaize the extra $ somehow.

Hi James. Too bad I didn't have my new set yet when you stopped by to pickup those LPs for the Pilgrimage.

I looked at the sets you listed as well as many others. I had my heart set on a Panny 50" plasma. But then I read something about LED/DLP sets and ran across a great deal at The great Indoors on a closeout/display model. I went with a 61" Samsung DLP w/LED light engine and I don't regret it at all. IMHO it has an absolutely fanstastic picture!

Where did you hear about DLP being phased out? My brother-in-law is a district/regional manger at Optima & as far as I know they have no intention of phasing out DLP. In fact they are going to be introducing new LED light source DLP projectors by the end of the year.

Also I might mention that in most stores the picture resolution is usually 720. You won't see the "high definition" in HD without a 1080 signal. My Comcast set top box up converts to 1080i. The HD channels are far better than anything I saw in the stores with the exception of BlueRay (1080p). But even here, in the stores you have to be careful. They may be using BlueRay as a source, but because they are multiplexing to a number of TV sets the resolution is often still only 720.

After I got my set home and got it connected to digital HD I was amazed, way better than anything I had seen in the stores. Many DVD players will also upconvert the resolution to 720i and 1080i but usually have to be told to do so manually.

To me there's a big difference between 720 and 1080i, maybe it's the 61" screen, I don't know. I'm getting a Playstation 3 w/blueRay for Xmas. Then I should be able to see what this LED/DLP can really do. This set is also "3-D ready" so a few games should be interesting. I've read mixed reviews on the 3-D BlueRay movies.

Wow,

Thanks everyone that posted to my question. I will have to sit and think if I can go higher in the price range to get the 50" plasma 1080. Other then that keep the information flowing.

Artto, I am sorry that I missed the TV also as it would have been nice to see outside of a store. I looked at the 61" DLP LCD TV's, but I am pushing the space limit with the 56" that I mention above. So if I do get a DLP it will have to max out with the 56" one.

James

BTW, that is also my thought about blueray, I was thinking about getting a ps3.

Passed by the TV's at Wal-Mart tonight (wouldn't be my first choice to shop for TVs but we went there as our youngest daughter neeeded something) and remembered that even though the LCD's are getting much better at motion, the clearest motion was from the 2 plasmas they had on display, a Panasonic and a Sanyo. The Panasonic was better than the Sanyo but it still had smoother motion than even the best LCDs.

I hope the rear projection and projection DLP systems aren't dead as they seem to be the best affordable option if you want something bigger than 50".

Artto, I am sorry that I missed the TV also as it would have been nice to see outside of a store. I looked at the 61" DLP LCD TV's, but I am pushing the space limit with the 56" that I mention above. So if I do get a DLP it will have to max out with the 56" one.

James, IF you decide to consider the 56" LED/DLP Samsung just be aware to carefully check the picture quality. On the smaller DLP sets I've read some complaints about a "hot spot" in the middle of the screen. I haven't noticed it on the larger screen so possibly this is an artifact caused by the LED lamp projecting onto a smaller surface area/closer distance. Just a thought.

Artto,

The 56" DLP isn't the LCD one, the LED DLP is the 7 series from Samsung and are only the 61" and 67". Here is the link, http://www.samsung.com/us/consumer/subtype/subtype.do?group=televisions&type=televisions&subtype=dlptv

The one that I am looking at getting would be from the 6 series and be the 56" DLP, without the LED technology.

I will indeed take a good look when/if I do purchase the TV, and thanks for the heads up on that issue.

James

Artto,

The 56" DLP isn't the LCD one, the LED DLP is the 7 series from Samsung and are only the 61" and 67". Here is the link, http://www.samsung.com/us/consumer/subtype/subtype.do?group=televisions&type=televisions&subtype=dlptv

The one that I am looking at getting would be from the 6 series and be the 56" DLP, without the LED technology.

Hmmm, that's interesting. Mine is last year's model (second generation LED, model HL-T6187). Samsung used to have a 56" LED/DLP, in fact there was even a 50" (HL-T5087). Maybe there were some issues as mentioned with those smaller DLP sets. I'm sold on this 61". The picture is stunningly beautiful. The only question that remains for me is reliability, which should be (knock on wood) superior to any arc lamp. But as you said, it can be too big/close. The 61" is about max for me in this location. I thought it would be to big for the distance from the couch (although not from the dining room) but it works fine most of the time unless the movie wasn't recently converted to HD (or done properly) and them you'll see some motion artifacts.

Another thing to consider: With a digital HD set top box such as those from Comcast, the picture format is automatically scaled, and it doesn't always fill up the whole screen, so effectively, on some broadcasts, even HD on Demand, the resulting image is equivalent to what I would see on a full 50" screen edge to edge. When this happens on a 50" screen you're down to a 40"-42" effective screen size, maybe less.