Which Blu Ray and Why?

vandec54

I have also heard others complain about PS3 fan noise as well. Personally I don't own one and have no interest in owning a game console (I am not a gamer).

I prefer a stand alone rack style player which blends well with my other components of my system.

Not that many people won't be happy with a PS3, I hear a lot of people praise them for their Blu-ray ability. It just is not the kind of component I want for my own system.

I have my mind set on either the Sony 350 or 550. can someone explain the difference with the updates? I am not familiar with them or how it works. what is being updated? Is the unit being updated so it can "read" special disc trailers/features. Please explain, thanks.

I have my mind set on either the Sony 350 or 550. can someone explain the difference with the updates? I am not familiar with them or how it works. what is being updated? Is the unit being updated so it can "read" special disc trailers/features. Please explain, thanks.

While I have not run into this myself, I have heard of people not able to get some new movies to play without the newest updated software installed. Just as with computer software updates the updates to the software do several things and I always keep my player updated with the newest updates when they are released.

I see this is done via a USB port. do i take my usb travel drive, insert it into my pc, go to sony's web site, download latest updates then plug the usb into the back of my blu ray? that's the only way that makes sense to me. is this correct??? or is there some kind of chip that has to be purchased? also once the updating device is inserted into the back of the blu ray player how is all this initiated? is there on screen menu's that pop up? thanks again for the great info.

Posted Image

Sorry, I couldn't resist. [6]

Yes, most devices such as Blu-Ray players that have a USB port will have the capability of going online and downloading a firmware update onto a USB drive and then uploading it through the USB port of the device. Make sure to follow all the instructions to a T otherwise you run the risk of bricking your player.

I went with the Sony S550 because of the 7.1 outputs and internal decoding of the DD HD and DTS HD that the PS3 does not have. It also brings standadrd DVD's to 1080i resolution via the HDMI output. Not to mention I got it for $318 on Amazon.com. It also has the BD Live and the 1GB onboard storage and ethernet input. The S550 also looks nicer and blends with all the other gear in my rack. It sure felt cheap in comparison the Denon 2900 that is replaced but once I heard it and saw the picture I did not look back.

• Moderators

I went with the Sony S550 because of the 7.1 outputs and internal decoding of the DD HD and DTS HD that the PS3 does not have.

This article explains that the PS3 does support both DTS-Master and Dolby True HD via PCM over HDMI. My receiver has both so either way, the sound will get decoded by one or the other. The PS3 upconverts standard DVD to 1080p and 80 gig storage vs 1 gig storage is a definite plus for me as well as BD Live and ethernet input. It really just depends on what you are looking for.

I chose the Sony 350, I got it for 220 with free shipping from amazon. seems like it has good reviews.

Let's talk about somethings that it is missing. It doesn't have the 7.1 or 5.1 audio inputs some players do. my question is what are teh benefits of these, wouldn't all speakers just come out of the receiver?

Also, it doesn't have have onboard DTS. Is this a huge deal? Not many discs have DTS doe they?

One last thing. I have a dillema, would I hear any benefit hooking the Blu Ray (as opposed to my Samsung DVD I would move down there) up to my system in the basement (please see profile). I know I wont see a difference on a tube tv and i would have to hook it up either through a digital coax or fiber optic because my receiver isn't HDMI compatable.

Ummmm, my 350 has onboard DTS? As for the sound, you can just set your player to PCM in the settings, and to my understanding, it's the same as the inputs you mentioned. I have mine set up like that, and it sound awesome! but as far as no onboard DTS, that's odd. Are you sure you set your settings correctly? And yes, many discs do have dts....................

• Moderators

It doesn't have the 7.1 or 5.1 audio inputs some players do. my question is what are teh benefits of these, wouldn't all speakers just come out of the receiver?

Those are outputs, not inputs. Those are used to connect to a receiver that does not have HDMI. The Blu-ray player would decode the sound and send it to the receiver already processed through the 5.1 or 7.1 analog outputs. Then the receiver would just pass that info to the 5.1 or 7.1 speakers.

Also, it doesn't have have onboard DTS. Is this a huge deal? Not many discs have DTS doe they?

From what I can see from online sources, it has "built-in audio decoding to PCM for Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD, and DTS multichannnel PCM output via HDMI and bitstream audio output for Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD, DTS, DTS-HD, and DTS-HD Master Audio"

From Cnet = The bad: Recessed USB port can be difficult to access; no onboard DTS-HD Master Audio decoding; quick start option uses power even when player is off.

http://reviews.cnet.com/video-players-and-recorders/sony-bdp-s350/4505-6463_7-32868775.html

what do you think, are they misrepresenting the item or am I not understanding something correctly.

Also, if I get a kick but receiver the 5.1/7.1 outputs from the Blu Ray player are really no use??? Am I correct in this thinking?

• Moderators

Also, if I get a kick but receiver the 5.1/7.1 outputs from the Blu Ray player are really no use??? Am I correct in this thinking?

Well I don't know about the kick butt receiver but if you purchase a newer receiver that has HDMI 1.3 capability, yes, you would not need the 5.1 or 7.1 outputs on a Blu-ray player. Also, if you are using an older receiver that does not have HDMI and you want to take advantage of the new HD audio formats, the Blu-ray player has to have the 5.1 or 7.1 outputs and the receiver has to have 5.1 or 7.1 inputs. They are often called Multi-channel inputs on receivers.

As far as misrepresentation, they are probably correct in saying that the 350 does not have actual DTS-HD decoding. It simply takes the DTS-HD and sends it uncompressed as PCM via HDMI cable to your receiver. So technically, it might not be able to decode DTS-HD. Either way, if your receiver has HDMI, you will be able to hear it in DTS-HD.

Someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. I'm new to the new audio formats myself. I know just from what I have researched online, not from personal experience. My PS3 arrives tomorrow! Then I will be able to speak from firsthand experience....at least after I purchase my side and rear surrounds.