Just got my Hsu MBM-12

wuzzzer

Man, its bigger and heavier than I thought it'd be! Going to spend some time setting it up and integrating it with my SVS. For now I'll place it directly behind my couch as recommended by Hsu. I think I'll have to toss in the Eagles on HD-DVD first to try it out.

great job wuzzer, let us know how it goes...after having an SVS what made you try anything else?

The downfall of subwoofers such as my SVS is that it handles the lowest of bass frequencies really well but because the woofer is so heavy it doesn't play the upper bass frequencies quite as well. Enter the Hsu...

The Hsu MBM-12 only plays bass from 50Hz up to 150Hz. It uses a very lightweight woofer that responds very quickly to sound input. I have my SVS playing from 50Hz down and the Hsu is playing from 50Hz to 80Hz. I have the Hsu directly behind my sectional and man does it give music the SLAM factor that had been missing. I haven't been able to watch any movies yet to see how it does there but so far for music it is incredible.

Ok so I had a little time this morning for some movie action. War of the Worlds on DVD. The lasers feel like they are going right through me. The experience is unbelieveable.

Currently watching Transformers on HD-DVD. The 'Ironside Flip' scene had me just shaking my head. I'm going to have to reinforce everything that's not bolted down in my house. Gunshots in the scenes are the most realistic that I've ever heard and felt. I think I have the levels a little higher than they should but I like the effect. It makes everything come alive and the realism is out of this world.

Having my SVS crossed over at 50Hz really makes it come alive. Since it doesn't have to waste any watts on the upper bass frequencies it really makes it much more efficient in the lower bass information.

I can't wait to have company over to watch a movie! [8-|]

How exactly is it hooked up? Does your sub cable go to the HSU and then SVS? In other words, does the HSU have an adjustable crossover that allows you to tailor it to your main sub?

I have a y-splitter from the single sub/LFE out on my receiver. One interconnect goes to the SVS, one goes to the HSU. I have the SVS's crossover set at 50Hz. The HSU has an internal crossover that filters everything out below 50Hz. I have the HSU crossed over at 80Hz at the top end. The Hsu can be adjusted up to 150Hz. I tried bumping it up towards 100Hz but it was very easy to localize and didn't have as tight of a feel or sound.

At first it did seem kind of odd having two bass devices that each play a pretty narrow part of the range of sound - 12Hz to 50Hz for the SVS and 50Hz to 80Hz for the Hsu. But, after experiencing it firsthand I am glad I did it. As mentioned before, each device gets to stay in the frequency areas where they really shine and makes their output that much better in those ranges.

The guy I bought the Hsu from just got an SVS PB-13 Ultra and he said it does not replace the MBM in the 50-100Hz range. He said he's probably going to re-order another one right away. [:D]