suggestions for an entry level multi channel amp/receiver

kuisis

I finally have the speakers I need for a heritage home theater. Two cornwalls for the front, Two Heresy's for the rear, and another heresy for the center. This will be my first attempt at home theater, I'm not worried about the speakers, but know nothing about home theater amplification. I'm guessing I won't need that much power and I will be going 5.1 at first. I would like any suggestions?

Thanks

Tom

I look forward to such advice too. I will someday be making a similar choice.

One thought of mine is that we have consider the video aspect of the project. The home theater receiver these days also accepts various video outputs and sends them to the monitor. So we also have to keep in mind the monitor inputs and what type of video sources (outputs) are being used.

For example, both of us will eventually buy a Blue Ray player. I expect that the market has settled a bit and the new budget Blue Ray, budget receivers, and budget monitors will have converged on a coherent set up -- more toward plug and play.

Wm McD

You can't beat the incredible sound quality of an Onkyo. I have the lowly $299 TX SR-501 on my MWM Stack (see my avatar). I can hit 128 db peaks with the front channels with the sides not far behind. Since my efficiency is 108 db/watt, it demands low noise at milliwatt output for normal listening and Onkyo delivers. Crystalline detail in mids and highs, with gut wrenching bass at the same time. Their amplifier technology is second to none as is their signal processing prowess.

For less than $500, I would opt for the TX SR-705, abailable for $449 most places. Best bang for the buck, for sure.

Best bang for the buck in my opinion, is the Yamaha RX-V 663, yep I have one and it sounds great, has all the latest codecs, HDMI input and output, pre outs for outboard amplification (I am using a Fort'e 3 for my mains) easy auto setup YAPO and is in your price range. It is all I will ever need for my HT until they make some new standards LOL

Give it a serious look.