MC2200 or BBX

mowntnbkr

I had sold my BBX a few months back. Now I am ready to start playing vinyl again. What is everyones opinion between the two. I loved my BBX, I just sold it because it wasn't being used and to be honest it didn't have remote capability. I also will be using it to play CD's on my Marantz SA 8001 and occasional PPV movies/events.

I like the BBX but have never heard it head-to-head with the 2200. Since you loved your BBX, why not go with the new version that includes a remote? I heard it at RPlace's house and it sounded great. I also like the new looks, the improved build quality and the new tube compliment that eliminates that pesky 6DJ8. Check out Mark's website if you haven't seen it already.

Also depends on the amp you want to drive.....no problem with tube amps, but the minimum input impedance for the BBX is 36K ohms...that eliminates several SS amps...for example almost all of the new Mcintosh Poweramps are 10K OHM's unbalanced input inpedance...So if you want JM with say a mac SS amp you'd need to get a Peach with it's (super LO Z mode) and a separate phono preamp.

That being said My newly redone BBX I>II is on the UPS truck and on the way to me now........really sweet with vinyl....

so I say get ye to the merry ole Mac dealer and hear the C2200 and see if it's worth double the price.

It will be used in conjuction with my VRD's, which I almost sold a while back for a MC275, glad I didn't. Unfortunately there are no Mac dealers anywhere near me, but I have listened to one hooked up to a MC275 with Jubilees and Tannoy System 15 II DMT's. It was impressive to say the least. Right now I am using a highly modified EAD ovation, only problem in no phono stage. I put alot into my TT to just have it collecting dust

It will be used in conjuction with my VRD's, which I almost sold a while back for a MC275, glad I didn't.  Unfortunately there are no Mac dealers anywhere near me, but I have listened to one hooked up to a MC275 with Jubilees and Tannoy System 15 II DMT's.  It was impressive to say the least.  Right now I am using a highly modified EAD ovation, only problem in no phono stage.  I put alot into my TT to just have it collecting dust

Sounds like your in the same boat as me.... finally pulled the plug on the BBX and have been on the fence about the VRDs........from every report that I have heard the combo for vinyl is amazing

Well, at 5Grrr vs. 2Grrr, the Mac would have to be a lot better to justify the jump in cost.

And you already know how the JM works with Craig's amps.

Speaking of the VDRs, probably the weak spots in all (nu2toobs, fenderbender, and mowntnbkr) your systems.
How could a basically homemade amp compete with real amps like Mcintosh and the likes?

[^o)]

Speaking of the VDRs, probably the weak spots in all (nu2toobs, fenderbender, and mowntnbkr) your systems.
How could a basically homemade amp compete with real amps like Mcintosh and the likes?

LOL, that is what my MIT educated, NASA employed/retired EE buddy said.....until we hooked them up to his test equipment and then gave them a listen. BTW, he has a complete MAC setup, which I have to say is pretty incredible, his comment was that they are without reproach. He was equally impressed with my old BBX.

I've owned both. The C2200 offers far more features and flexibility than the BBX. It's not really a good comparison. I prefer the C2200 by a considerable margin, both sonically and for it's versatility and features.

Did you have vinyl in either system? I don't see any in your sig. That's where the BBX excels IMO. What's the retail price of a C2200? I assume considersably more expensive than a BBX? I've had a C22, C18 and MX110 in my system and the BBX was a significant improvement over them all. Never had a 2200 though.

I had vinyl in both systems. VPI Scout with a Dynavector 20XH. I prefered the C2200 for vinyl and digital sonics.

The bass and treble controls, balance controls, remote, balanced and unbalanced in&out puts, build quality and resale value are icing on the cake.

I did not pay retail. I bought this unit as a B stock unit with a scuff mark on it. The used market (outside of this forum) will recognize, demand, and pay a premium for the C2200 well into the future, much like the C22, C18 and MX110's that you,ve previously owned. The BBX will not fare as well in the used market going forward, so if you were to factor in the annual depreciation cost and resale value in 5 years, they'll cost about the same.

The BBX will not fare as well in the used market going forward, so if you were to factor in the annual depreciation cost and resale value in 5 years, they'll cost about the same.

That assumes one plans to sell.

You're right. Mac gear holds its value better than our VRDs and BBXs. I've actually made a bit of money buying and selling a few pieces. No Mac I have owned thus far topped my current gear sonically (IMO of course) so I'll stick with my current setup. At least we're both happy with what we have.

I agree completely, I'm after the sound I like. Resell means nothing, untill you've heard each preamp. That's why these forums are a great tool. You can listen to others that have owned and listened to each piece of gear, and go from there.

I've owned both and prefer The BBX with my system. Of course that's just my opinion, trust it or not.

The BBX will not fare as well in the used market going forward, so if you were to factor in the annual depreciation cost and resale value in 5 years, they'll cost about the same.

That assumes one plans to sell.

You're right. Mac gear holds its value better than our VRDs and BBXs. I've actually made a bit of money buying and selling a few pieces. No Mac I have owned thus far topped my current gear sonically (IMO of course) so I'll stick with my current setup. At least we're both happy with what we have.

I am with Gary on this. I have also had a c-22 and a MX 110 in my system, as well a few different Mcintosh power amps. My current set up with the BBX and the Pcats - for the music I like and to my ear - beats combo I have had in the past. I really really really wanted to love the Mcintosh systems as they are what I lusted after before I had the dough to buy them, but that simply was not the case.

Josh

Actually this topic came up several times and in one of is past incarnations I took the time and ran the numbers from a be it small sampling, of the past ten BBX resales and the past tenC2200 resales taken from sources such as Agon, ebay, Klipschforum, .....I did not include Mcintosh dealers because the prices were inflated and JM doesn't have any dealers.

The results were very similar, in that modern Mcintosh lost 28% of its value, while JM products only lost 31%.......so percentage of new purchase was very very close....

Now if you want to talk about added value...Mcintosh warranties are non-transferable......I've sent gear to Mcintosh and while they don't rape you, service can be pricy and take a while.......On the other hand I just sent a second hand 3 year old JM BBX that I bought off to Mark D who upgraded it to the newer BBX II circuitry, tested all tubes, gave it a thorough check-up ....all for the whopping price of $70 !!!!!

I've never spent a penny with JM and for $70 dollars I just got a upgrade to the new model and a factory refurb!!!! Lets see Mcintosh do that!!! Thats add's a lot of value to a product!!!

Now don't get me wrong ...I have owned and loved plenty of Mac gear in my life...It is fine gear that i built like a tank...and if the mood strikes I wouldn't mind owning a C2200/mc402........but don't let the numbers fool you.....go with what you like your system to sound like...there is plenty of added Value in dealing with a "reputable/established" Boutique like JM.......now if Mark decides to pack it up and move to Tahiti tomorrow were all screwed and Mcintosh would be the better choice resale wise [:D][:D][:D][:D]