Need Cartridge Recommendations!

pierceb

The nanny was cleaning where she wasn't suppose to and broke the stylus on my Grado Silver cart.[:@]

I've been wanting to upgrade to LOMC for a while but couldn't justify the expense (now I have a good excuse). I'm running a Basis 1400 with RB250 arm (upgraded wiring). I have a BBX with cream and VRDs. Would like to keep it under $500 if possible.

Any good suggestions? Zu 103 perhaps?

-PB

Last week I purchased a Zu DL-103 through an eBay auction they occasionally run. They had (10) 1% tolerance carts that sell on their website for $499, listed for $299. Then I was offered a 10% coupon from eBay, so it ended up being $269 for a $499 cart. Keep your eyes peeled and you may find a good deal as well.

Jeremy

Thanks.

I've seen the recent promotional deals on Agon and Ebay too. I was difficult to turn away and ignore them (to say the least) as I've spent my audio budge this year. Hopefully Zu put up some more specials before now and X-mas.

However, I thought there was come compliance issues between the heavier 103 carts and RB250/300 arms. I know I will need a heavier counterweight if I go this route, but overall, will the combo work well? Any others out there with similar setups that can comment?

-PB

OK thanks. Zu 103 it is.

However, I think I should hold out for a special on the R. I've seen them on special for about 400 a few weeks ago.

-PB

What is the difference? I know that the R has rubber tabs around the inner body, but that should not make a difference if the body is being tossed and the inners are mounted in a new body.

The output is also different so I assume that there are other differences.

OK thanks. Zu 103 it is.

However, I think I should hold out for a special on the R. I've seen them on special for about 400 a few weeks ago.

-PB

What is the difference? I know that the R has rubber tabs around the inner body, but that should not make a difference if the body is being tossed and the inners are mounted in a new body.

The output is also different so I assume that there are other differences.

Copied from Denon "The DL-103R is an updated version of the classic
DL-103. It provides improved sound by using 6N copper coils wound with
precision to the cantilever shaft. Audio lovers will delight with
detail that is brought out by this outstanding phono cartridge."

I have a Zu 103R and a Soundsmith retipped 103R with an ebony body, and I must say that the retipped cart has the upper hand.

I have a Zu 103R and a Soundsmith retipped 103R with an ebony body, and I must say that the retipped cart has the upper hand.

Sounds like a Soundsmith 103R will be a little above my $500 limit. Does the upgrade include the ebony body?

-PB

EDIT: Nevermind, I found the Soundsmith website.

Sounds like a Soundsmith 103R will be a little above my $500 limit. Does the upgrade include the ebony body?

-PB

EDIT: Nevermind, I found the Soundsmith website.

Wouldn't you get the Denon and then have it retipped when it starts to wear out? That would keep you in your limit.

I still listen to the old Grado Gold. If the economy was not so stupid I would do one of the following:

Audio-Technica OC9

Dynavector 10X5

Grado Statement Platinum

ZU 103

I am leaning toward the ZU but have a great deal of repsct for the two Grados I own.

Neeedle Doctor website has nice shoret reveiws on each except the ZU.

Wouldn't you get the Denon and then have it retipped when it starts to wear out? That would keep you in your limit.

Seems reasonable.

I guess I'm trying to get to my end result as soon as possible. I live in Canada and shipping back and forth across the border for upgrades/repairs is a bit of a PITA. I've learned that it is best to minimize the number of steps possible if one has higher aspirations.

I'm definitely leaning toward the Zu DL103R as my primary option now that I know it will work fine with my RB250 arm, with just the plain Zu DL103 a close second. Somewhere I read that Zu is going to be having these special promotions between now and X-mas. I think I'll just wait a bit and see what comes up.

Thanks for all your help guys!

-PB

PB,

One thing to look into. To get the full performance out of the denon it needs to be resistor loaded properly (so I have read). About 50 to 100 ohms is supposed to be right. The top end and bottom end may wind up rolled off if not set up right. I just bought 6 transformers from Jensen (ouch!) to build a few step ups for me and a friend and take care of some hum in my system. Look into this. If you use a 10:1 you wind up with 470 ohms from a standard MM input. You then run a resistor in parallen across the primary side (the cartridge side) to get your desired loading. I was going to use the secondary side but Jensen's engineer told me to use the primary side.

I assume that you need an extra or aftermarket weight for the Zu on a Rega arm. I just bought a Rega P9 with RB1000 arm and with a Shelter 901 the weight is pretty far back. I don't know if it can work with a Zu. I will probably try the lead tape because I do not want to mod this arm or table at all (I bought the P9 so that I am not tempted to mod it because it already has every mod imaginable except on the fly VTA).