Suggestions for HT equipment

mark1101

Looking to the HT experts over here for some recommendations. I am interested in learning what a 2K budget might be able to do as far as getting into HT. I have speakers and subs and am just interested in the control center and power. I am wondering about all-in-one AV Receivers vs. a pre/pro + multi ch amp. What is better and what are some brands that sound good with lascalas? Thanks

It's probably an antiquated jalopy by today's standards BUT.... if you're ever up this way, or my next way down to my sisters (in Oxford, near Covington), I've got an old Yamaha DSP 2070 that you could try out to at least, get a reference point.

Of course, it's got zero XLR inputs, zero HDMI inputs, zero HDMI outputs. It's got traditional RCA and I think....drats... I forget the little 3/8'th inch round pin.... anyways, it's basically an RCA input/output based thing.

It's designed as a 7.1 system instead of 5.1. It's been sitting in a closet of mine for probably 10 years now....

Don't feel bad when you tell me "HECK no!!!" lol, my feelings won't be hurt.

[:D]

Richard (God love you)[Y] ......HECK NO [:D]. I appreciate the offer but I have a Denon 5.1 AV receiver from the 80s that my son still uses on his heresys and we have an HT in a box system in one room.......so I have a pretty good point of reference.

What I am looking to do is use the Peach HT pass through feature and create a sports bar environment in my very rough basement. Spilling of beer is sometimes allowed. I REALLY want HDMI, USB, optical, coax, THX, multi ch pre outs, and all the HT buzz acronymns I've gotten rusty on. I'm looking for something nice and I will couple my 3 lascalas with my avatar speakers. I have a couple of old subs that will work for HT. So I'm already part way there. Just want to hear form the folks here what control/amp combos and brands or higher end AV receivers are recommended and will sound good with lascalas.

Yammy 663 or the H-K AVR254 are 2 very current, full-featured receivers with all the current codec's and what not.. THX - well, I could care less about. That's not a format, just a standard. It's mostly marketing babble for the masses. I mean hell, my 4-channel computer speakers are "THX-certified"and I know damn well my HT is far better.

I'm using an Emotiva XPA-5 to power the 5 main channels, it's a steal at $699 shipped right now, and a Behringer EP2500 for the subs.

I looked at the Emotiva site and the business model and equipment line up look interesting. Prices are good and it sounds like no risk whatsoever to buy from Emotiva. Is anyone here running any of their models? Comments? Comparisons? What speakers have you tried this stuff with? Thanks for the tips.

Mark

fish hangs out in here. He is very familiar with Emotiva running reference. Don't know if he's got any heritage. I think Dean's looking at one of their amps. I've been running Outlaw separates for 3 yrs in the theatre & like them very much. Their new model is due out any month now. Excellent company & service, similar business model to Emotiva.

I may try them when I get a hankering to change. Also the new Integra looks interesting. There is a couple threads on it in here somewhere.