What does your login name mean?

tommyboy

Roger,

That is some funny stuff, as I know from first hand experience that it is fun and easy to mess with drunk people.

But you do realize that the comments in my signature are from the movie "The Goonies", a very funny movie and that part still makes me laugh every time I see it.

James

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Speaking of spelling, Twisted: Nowhere in Islander's post did he question your intelligence regarding spelling. I think he had a good point due to the following reason: The subject of engines of a certain kind and where they are manufactured is a specialty of yours. One you have been intimately familiar with for many years. It is not really asking too much that from simple repetition over time that you might be able to spell these cities correctly. After all, you have managed to learn how to spell most of the words in your posts just fine. Reach up with your unoccupied hand and remove the chip off your shoulder dude.

I would bet most of us here have IQ's in the higher range compared to the general public, simply because we have the capability to figure out that Klipsch speakers offer one of the best values for sound and in many cases some of the best sound at most any price. Lesser intelligence types (such as management, see another thread) are satisfied with bose because they well, as you might put it, just are not smart enough to figure it out.

The tone of some of your posts brings no surprise to me of your revelation that you were involved in lots of fights in school. Blame it on whatever you want.

Oldtimer,

You are correct in that I have a very large chip on my shoulder that I still carry arround to this day from being different and NOT fitting in, and I will tell you emphatically that it is NOT a badge of honor to me.

Your statements about that I should be able to learn how to spell better denotes a clear missunderstanding of what dyslexia is and how it happens in the brain.

But I wont let you off quite that easily, as I can admit that I have a chip, but I am not the only one in this conversation that does. It is quite evident that you are carrying some excessive baggage in that you felt inadequate as well in some fashion.

Roger

Roger,

That is some funny stuff, as I know from first hand experience that it is fun and easy to mess with drunk people.

But you do realize that the comments in my signature are from the movie "The Goonies", a very funny movies and that part still makes me laugh every time I see the movie.

James

James,

I DO NOW!!!![*-)]

Roger

Tom, the thing that I think you don't get is this. During each and every case. The foley is identified within the bladder. It needs to be in order to imobilize the bladder off of the anterior lower uterine segment. If it is not moved down, the incicion for a c/section would go down right thru the bladder. Bad form.

The bladder also have to be immobilized and disected off of the anterior lower uterine segement on a hysterectomy. If you dont, you send a large chunk of bladder, along with the uterus to the Path dept. NOw there is a suckhole day for all involved. It I have a student in the room, I pull the balloon up. If the student is at home, sleeping in late or something. I still pull the catheter up. The surgery is done the same exact way each time.

So, if a student is in the room. First of all the patient meets my student face to face in the office, then at the hospital before going to sleep. They understand that he/she will be there. The student and I will then feel and examine parts of the internal anatomy. They sign a form stating that this is fine. If they have the slightest hesitation, the student is not in there. NOTHING, NOT ANYTHING is slipped by the patient. No need to be secretive, we are doing anything that harms the patient.

So, student present, they get to see and feel what a normal/abnormal uterus, ovary, appendix, bowel, large and small, bladder, aorta, vena cava, Psoas Muscle, masses, expected or unexpected are. And yet, I have them feel the Foley bulb without telling them what it is. It is an unexpected finding, this little round thing in the bladder. Now, forgive me all involved, but at that point I have fun with them and ask them, OH MY GOODNESS< what could that be?

To see them stumbe around for some off the wall crazy diagnosis, yes we giggle. It is funny, was funny when it happened to me. I will sometimes ask. If you were doing this surgery, what would you do about that mass there? More that a few will say, well, we need to disect it out in case it is a cancer.

BAD MOVE. This bad mood would indeed leed to a very poor, and unneccesary complication. If I then teach them that this is normal while a catheter is in place, my students had better NEVER come back to my OR and say that they accidently biopsied the cather. To date, none ever had.

Few more things: Would I do this with the family in there. YES

Would I video myself doing this for the family and patient to see later? YES again.

And, for the record, doctors sometimes do use bad handwriting to cover up for poor spelling skils....

Paul

Tom,

You mentioned a gang up mentality here, but that is not true. I mentioned several very real problems in surgery as well as telling you that what Paul was discussing was NOT impropper. 8 years for PHD and another 4 GYN, yet every "TOM", Dick and Harry [:)] thinks by doing a little reading in magazines and watching TV, that they have an idea of what is going on. Magazines and most Segments you will ever see are done by laymen, and the fact is that the general public is CLUELESS! I am not putting you down for not being in the medical field, but I am sure you meet people all the time that "THINK" they know what the hell they are talking about in your area in knowledge, but they clearly don't without formal training, and how arrogant is it for you to think that you know enough to lambast someone for that which you only have a laymens understanding.

A physician who will perform surgery needs to know all of the anatomy they will be working on by feel as well as sight. Everyone has variances in their personal anatomy and believe me, women in particular are quite often very screwed up in their physical body structures. My wife has been an O.B. nurse at the hospital for 20 years and runs an OBGYNs office 3 days a week for the last 13 years. She has had two patients that had two vaginal tracts, two uterus, and one falopian tube and ovary attached to each uterus. So it is very important to distiguish all body parts by feel. Those residents were going to have their hands in there anyhow, but an abnormallity in what was felt was permanently imprinted via humor.

All patients who think they know their own bodies better then their Physician are free to leave AMA. Tom, you are free to leave AMF.

Paul,

I used the Psoas statement as that although the Psoas is attached to T12 through L4 and attaches at the other end to os femoris, I learned its location by thinking "it sews your *** to your back", not technically correct, but close enough to easily recal on a diagram or model where it was located at. Just another piece of humor that helped solidify my memory. [8-|]

Roger