TT questions: inexpensive cart or new TT?

kevinmi

Hi Forum Friends,

I have an older JVC TT with a tonearm that was very expensive in it's day (around $450.00 in the 70's). My question is do you think I should upgrade to a whole new TT or could I get by with upgrading my cart? The replacement stylus for my cart is about $275.00, but I don't know if my cart is too old to justify replacing the stylus. Has modern analog technology improved greatly since the 70's to warrant replacing everything with new? I don't have anything to compare the turntable sound to, but it sounds OK to me. I'm just a little leery because it has been in storage for a decade, and I don't want to ruin any new LP's I might buy. The TT is a JVC QL-50 direct drive, and the tonearm is a Signet XK-50, which is basically a rebadged AT 1100. Thanks in advance for your input. -Kevin

Hi Kevin.

It's hard to give advice, when we don't know your budget. It's a fact that analogue technology has improved enormously since the seventies, like any technology. I would not pay $275 for a replacement stylus. There is a JVC QL-50 on ebay for $300,- Maybe if you sell the lot, add some savings and then buy a good, more modern set. Prices could be low due to the crisis, altough I haven't really compared.

OTOH, there are good carts available for not too much. This forum raves over the Denon 103. If the arm can take that cart and be finetuned to it, definitely an intersting option. Tim.

Groomlake's advice seems unbeatable to me -- the Shure is a very good, "neutral" cart with no bad habits to cross you up. I agree, don't pay that much for a replacement when you can get a current cart for less than a third of that.

The Denon is a low-output moving coil (LOMC), which brings LOTS of complications into the picture. The Zu version is very heavy, to boot.

If after getting the Shure it turns out the table is the weak sister that needs replacing, you have the cart and haven't misspent anything -- you can just go from there. My $0.02.

I just ordered a Shure M97xE cartridge, so I'll try that out first before dumping the old turntable in favor of buying a new one. Thanks so much for everyone's input!-kevin

P.S. I ordered from Garage-A- Records, and got the cart for $74, but ended up spending $261 after buying a test record, lp cleaning machine, stylus force gauge, protractor, etc. Analog sure is fun!

Kevin,

Great pickup, I got one this past year for my Thorens 160 and it sounds great. I guess that really doesn't mean anything since this is my first real TT. I was in the same situation, I ordered the cart and a few other things that made the purchase about $150, but it sure is fun to listen to some vinyl from the Corns.

James

I just ordered a Shure M97xE cartridge, so I'll try that out first before dumping the old turntable in favor of buying a new one.

Don't be surprised if it takes a little time to break in. My M97 sounded odd and flat in the bass until I'd played it for a while. After 15-20 album sides it was sounding much better and after about 30 album sides it was sounding really good and hasn't changed since.