Guys, help me make a decision about the purchase of a 1977 pair of K-horns

pythagore

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They look great in their new home... Yes

So, what was the first thing that you pumped thru them?

James

James,

I currenttly at least 300 CDs, starting from hard rock, Canadian french rock, to Jazz to even movies soundtracks

I'm currently enjoying my collection of Diana Krall albums. Later on, will put some Eric clapton.

I placed an order with Bob Crites for the A/4500 crossovers , and the pair of CT125 tweeters.

Bob said he'll start working on them right away, and get them to me as soon as possible.

Don't blink, you might miss the UPS guy. Bob's that quick.

I placed an order with Bob Crites for the A/4500 crossovers , and the pair of CT125 tweeters.

Bob said he'll start working on them right away, and get them to me as soon as possible.

Jeeze, that was quick. Better order a pair of Tractrix midhorns right away while your at it.

Congrats on the speakers, they look really nice.

They look great in their new home... Yes

So, what was the first thing that you pumped thru them?

James

James,

I currenttly at least 300 CDs, starting from hard rock, Canadian french rock, to Jazz to even movies soundtracks

I'm currently enjoying my collection of Diana Krall albums. Later on, will put some Eric clapton.

Diana Krall - nice choice.

pythagore,

The Khorns look very nice in your room.

It looks like from your pics that the speakers are on your short wall, I realize that this may be the better
configuration for HT but you should see if there is any chance that you can move things around so that
you get the KHorns on the long wall.

My room is 15' x 20' and I up until last week had my speakers on the 15' wall.
This worked very well for HT and not bad for 2 channel but I tried the KHorns on the 20' wall and was shocked
at how much better things sounded.

See my thread for my situation:

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/t/111977.aspx?PageIndex=1

I have everything done except for a bit of trim (chair rail, baseboard, etc) and will be posting a couple of pics
when I get home from work tonight.

I don't know if this would be the best for you, but I am glad I tried it.

Just a thought.

HPower,

My room is almost the same size as yours. It is 14x19. I currently have them on the 14 wall. This room is my main HT room, I wanted to try them there first to see how they sound. Eventually, I will move them to my family room as a remplacement of my existing RF7 (18x15, open to a 18x16 kitchen). I'll put them on the 18ft wall.

But they currently sound so good.

I agree, they will not sound bad at all on the short wall.

What got me thinking about moving to the long wall was when I got my "new to me" JM Peach pre I was fine tuning the balance gains.

I would make a quick adjustment and step back to about the middle of the room instead of going all the way back to my main listening

spot, listen, go make another gain adjustment...did this a few times to get the balance and gain dialed in.

While in the middle of the room, I noticed that everything sounded much better in this location.

This prompted me to look a little closer at the geometry of the room and thought why not drag one of the KHorns to the other

corner and see how it sounds.

When you do move the horns to the other room, let us know what you think / hear.

I would be interested to see if you get the same results as I did... it pleasantly [:o] me.

I'm starting to get use to the current sonic signature, let me perform the crossover upgrade first to compare, and then I'll move them upstair to a bigger room.

I noticed that the Klipsch documentation suggested a distance of at least 8ft and no more than 20ft for the two corners.