Guys, help me make a decision about the purchase of a 1977 pair of K-horns

pythagore

I have a fellow Canuck selling a pair of 1977 Klipschhorn for $2500CAN (Approximately $2100 US). Do you guys thing it is a good deal?

The seller is 320 miles away, so a 640 miles round trip to go pick them up.

How do this 31 years old pair of klipschhorn compares to the new 200x pair?Any difference in materials, design?

Is it ok to buy a 31 years old pair, or should I put more money into buying a brand new pair?

How much a brand new pair cost?

The problem with buying a brand new pair is, there is no klipsch heritage dealer here in Ottawa Canada. There are 2 Klipsch Ref series dealers, but they only cary up to RF-82, if RF-83 is needed, it has to be a special order, and usually with a special order they try to charge you 30-50% more. The problem is Klipsh don't ship directly to Canada.

I curently own RF7(pair), RF83s(full 7.1) , Cornwall(pair), Heresy(pair).How do the K-Horns compare to the cornwalls sonically?

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

'77s are just fine but we need more details before telling you whether or not $2,100 is a good deal. Condition, finish, etc. Pics too if you can. You'll want to eventually upgrade the crossovers if they haven't been done already. Lots to read here if you search.

You might initially be disappointed if you expect them to blow away your Cornwalls. They are more different than better. Khorns are much more sensitive to what you feed them then Corns. You'll need good components and good recordings to get the best from them. You also need good corners! Once you figure all that out, you'll love them!!

Here is the original info from the seller. I just sent him an email asking for pictures, and more detailled info regarding the condition of the speakers.

" Yes I have a pair Built 1977
in walnut alnico magnets. Not perfect because of age but darn close.
I
can't decide if I want to sell when we downsized my audio room is now smaller.
My room is border line to small so I have periodically thought of reluctantly
parting with them."

For Components, they will be driven by:

Audio processor: Arcam AV9

Amps: Classe Ca-400A (400 Watt/Ch)

Source: computer with Lynx2B audio card in digital out. (music collection are all lossless FLAC, APE or WAV)

post-10735-13819427467002_thumb.jpg

Here is further info from the seller.

" I have read pros and cons of changing oil
caps etc and just left them ,,as some said great others said leave alone,,. that
was a while ago.. I may have done it now if they had worked out.I purchased
years ago from a friend who's father had passed away.

Original owner was very easy on them and I
have been also. Small tube amps have been used almost
entirely.

They have not really been used since we
moved here 7 years ago.

I would rate them 8 their are some very
small corner nicks that are not visible until you very closely scan and really
look,,, Fronts and tops are perfect insides are clean and as new. They have been
lemon oiled regularly Like I said I don't think you will find a better
pair I am pretty fussy."

Your in luck. The crossovers are Type AA. About $50 in capacitors (plus one small modification to change them to Type A's and a $5 mod to add fuses to the tweeters) and you are ready to go. Oh yea, you will also need to use Aluminum or Brass screws on the inductor so add another $1.

Nice equipment, it sould sound great. Does yoru Arcam have a digital input for yoru server? I heard some Arcam equipment locally and it was really nice.

Your Classe amps have a sound similar to the McIntosh sound. Your should do very well. I have heard that the CA 400's are just awesome sounding amps. Let us know how it turns out.

Guys, thank you.

Yes, the Arcam has a myriad of digital ins. My PC is connected to one of the digital coax input, the arcam performs the D/A, and the sound is awesome. But, the Lynx 2B audio card is also an awesome sounding card, very expensive audio card, but well worth every penny.

Yes, the Classe amp has a warm sounding that matches well with Klipsch.

I'll try them with the current crossover to see how they sound, and then I'll make the change

He is the second owner. He bought them from a friend many years ago, who sold them after his father passed away.

He said, he hasn't used the speakers for about 7 years after he moved out to its current. His current home can not accomodate the speaekers. He recently took them out after he responded to a WANTED AD from me on a local Audio website for Klipschorns

Hi pythagore,

I saw those ones, they do look nice.

This seller seems to be selling a lot of gear in the last week or so, a buddy at work inquired about a Copland 505 amp that Paul was selling last week.

I have a pair of '75 K-B-WL Klipschorns that I bought here from a fellow forum member and I paid $2000 usd, delivered from Detroit to my place in the GTA.

I would think the $2500 cnd price is not out of the ballpark, his listing price at $2800 is starting to get a little on the high side.

Paul's look to be in a bit better condition than mine are and they are an oiled finish [:D], which I would have paid a little more to get if I could have.

I had Corns prier to the Khorns and I would agree that the sound is not necessarily better, different, for sure.

Wish I had kept my Cornwalls, along with the Klipschorns.

I think you will enjoy them, I know I am.