Selecting 1st system components

Clay270

I am in the process of purchasing my 1st home system and have narrowed the brand to Klipsch. I am considering the KF3's, KS2's & the C3 center, with a sub-10. is this a good combo?

Also can anyone tell me the difference between "Synergy" and "Reference" (unfortunately the salesperson at hhgregg never heard of Reference). I am a basic listener and probably don't have the "ear" to notice subtle differences in speakers...

I am thinking about driving all this with a Yamaha RX-v363 ????

Looking for some expert opinion

Thanks in advance

Reference is the higher quality line, Synergy more mass market. I can't help with your selection, I don't shop in this segment that much. I much prefer a quality 2 channel setup but much like buggy whips, I'm out dated, I guess. At least I'm not stuck on mono..........

Thanx, Russ

Hi Clay270,

Welcome to the Forum. You have certainly decided correctly on your choice of brand. Now, the decision about specific speaker models should be based on your budget, imho.

Decide on your budget, then buy the best system you can afford. Klipsch models will be the best sounding, best value at each price point. Rest assured you will have the best bang-for-your-buck at any budget point.

I was told to pour more of my hard earned cash into the speakers not the amp...

Amen. Nothing wrong with a better amp but better speakers will provide the biggest bang for the buck. Of course, the better the speakers, the more you might realize you need a better amp.... that said, some of the old amps / receivers are supposed to work very well with Klipsch speakers.

Have fun!

As a rule of thumb, the lions share of your HT speaker budget should be spent on your center channel speaker and your sub. That's where most of the info is. The dialog and most of your movie sound track will come out of the center and the impact that you "feel" and what makes the movie experience real will come from your sub. Fill in the side and rear speakers as you can. As a side note, there's been some great deals lately on the Sub-12. Grab one of those instead of the Sub-10 if you can swing it.

It's much safer not to mix. For critical listening the fronts should be of the best quality you can afford. I'm sure somebody will chime in and and say otherwise.

Russ is correct about that. You would want the front three speakers to be the best that you can afford and come from the same line. That would make a better timber match across the front and that is what you are looking for. For movies you want the sound to be seamless from left to right, or right to left, so the fronts don't over power the center or the center doesn't over power the fronts.

James

Reference is the higher end of the two. Synergy is an outstanding product at the price point they're at. I love my system; as does everyone and anyone I let hear it. But, on the other hand, if I had the money for it, I would have most definitely went with the Reference series........