2" 223Hz tractrix horns

Guest David H

What are you wanting to do? Like...what frequency range and what kinda driver....2" DH1?? Something like that?

Why not get a pair of the 223 midtrax from GotHover. His build quality is outstanding?

jc

What are you wanting to do? Like...what frequency range and what kinda driver....2" DH1?? Something like that?

Why not get a pair of the 223 midtrax from GotHover. His build quality is outstanding?

jc

Yes, I like my DH-1's a lot. I'm now using the HP940 horns and not the ones in my avatar. I like the idea of a tractrix. I crossing them at 1K with just a cap and an L-pad, letting the natural rolloff occur. I know this Edgar-derived tractrix has some collapsing verticals to provide some EQing, so I would have to move my tweeter Xover point, but no big deal.

I also like the idea of a 223Hz. cutoff (actually 300 according to Edgar and your tests), even though I would cross them at 1Kz. I also want to build my own with a round throat...............it's part of the fun.

BTW, I may be able to get a mintish pair of Gauss HP-4000 drivers, but you have the K-260's, right?

Yes...I have a pair of K260's

The 223 midtrax is like Edgar's and the Trachorn as there is one plane of constant expansion and the other plane is curved. Tractrix yes. However...those horns have an Fc of 300Hz...this one is ~225Hz. This is from a horn design and calculation only.

Yes...collapsing verticles...just as many other horns that aren't CD horns. EQ is up to you. I wouldn't if use somehere close to 300-5000Hz. The idea was not to EQ and use for low midrange.

jc

Very nice! I like your approach on the curved sides. That's what is great about a project like this. With our combined creativity and constructive analysis we can keep coming up with better results. Before it all over I may try to improve on my build and produce another pair.

Jeremy

Yes...I have a pair of K260's

The 223 midtrax is like Edgar's and the Trachorn as there is one plane of constant expansion and the other plane is curved. Tractrix yes. However...those horns have an Fc of 300Hz...this one is ~225Hz. This is from a horn design and calculation only.

Yes...collapsing verticles...just as many other horns that aren't CD horns. EQ is up to you. I wouldn't if use somehere close to 300-5000Hz. The idea was not to EQ and use for low midrange.

jc

My flat front EV HP940's are flat from 1K-6K and are CD. They sound great, but I want to try a horn with no slot that still has 90 degree dispersion since they image better than the 60x40 variety in my room (tried those too).

What do you plan to do with the K260's? I want dibs if you decide to sell them.

I also have the JBL horns that were designed for their phenolic drivers, but they are huge.

Why not put a cone horn on a Khorn down to 300Hz. Anyone interested on this? 6-7" radius throat???????? The snare would have a lot of kick :)

I've been looking for a long time for a cone driver that can cover 100Hz to 1kHz...haven't found anything that models up like I'm looking for. However, if you want to throw polars out the window, then it's pretty easy to accomplish with collapsing polars.

Bentz....explain why your search is difficult. You must be looking for something in particular.

Tell me why this wouldn't work:

http://www.bcspeakers.com/product.php?id=0000000043

jc

After reviewing my notes, I realized that I was originally looking for 80Hz to 800Hz. I've not modelled that BC driver, but I'd wager it would only pass my criteria to 500Hz based on the impedance response. and getting down to 80Hz would probably be cutting it with a tractrix horn. I'll get back to you when I model it.

when I opened up Mike's pdf and saw a full range driver and the low sensitivity rating I started to wig out. :) I was thinking more along the lines of a 6.5 or 8" high sensitivity cone suitable for horn loading. Now you come back with the big 12 and I don't know what to think. I thought the idea was for something that could sit on top of a DR or horn bass bin -- running from say -- 300 or so to at least 5000, and then top it off with a quality tweeter?

You can get 10dB of gain by horn loading a woofer, but I think can only get six with a midrange driver. So I was thinking you really need to start with a driver that's at least 94dB.

I don't think the sensitivity of the driver firing into free air is really all too meaningful...which is why I posted the model of that driver. 107dB into 1/2 space (add 6dB for 1/8 space) with 1W/1m is pretty impressive for a driver starting off at 86dB or whatever it was. I have found that higher sensitivity drivers generally require larger horns, but in the end yield about the same sensitivity.

getting down to 80Hz would probably be cutting it with a tractrix horn

So you are with the belief that tractrix can't go that low? I thought we discussed this on the forum before. What was the reason why it can't?

jc

getting down to 80Hz would probably be cutting it with a tractrix horn

So you are with the belief that tractrix can't go that low? I thought we discussed this on the forum before. What was the reason why it can't?

Negative. I just think a tractrix would need to be extra large for that particular driver. I firmly believe that one should always maximize power transfer, so according to Roy and Post tractrix is always the way to go. I also like how tractrix behaves below the Fc.

I'm gonna be out for most of the weekend so won't get around to crunching any numbers any time soon, but I'm definitely interested in more discussion.

Guest David H

well I need another horn like a hole in the head but couldn't help myself...I blame Jeremy and GotHover....took a little different approach as I do not want to paint these, but will use walnut veneer....

Very nice. Nice work! Is anyone else working on a pair of these, I would love to see pics and hear about your results.

post-24405-13819436715626_thumb.jpg