2" 223Hz tractrix horns

Guest David H

And how about the wider 2.5kHz one? They look real easy to address with EQ, but I was wondering if it's even audible.

Yea, I noticed that peak centered around 2.4khz and wonder if it's measurement method related or really there.

If it's really there and audible directly on axis then a small eq circuit might help or from the looks of the off axis responses maybe just make sure the horn's axis cross slightly in front of the listener.

Since this peak would be audible on vocals I would suggest a person use vocals from known good recordings to find the best off axis angle to listener to use for the most natural vocals.

mike tn

Oh cool, I see you posted a raw one. Any chance of raw on-axis too? A lot of the craziness in the low end is probably boundry related, but do you think that 1.1kHz resonant looking spike is real? And how about the wider 2.5kHz one? They look real easy to address with EQ, but I was wondering if it's even audible. The curves look real nice - was this from in the middle of the room or the corner?

Yea...I can post the Raw on axis later.

Not sure about those spikes. Didn't notice those when I did the other JBL 2446 outside.

The horn is elevated from the ground about 3 feet sitting close to the center of the room.

jc

Guest David H

Hey jc and GotHover I thought I would try to combine your curves into one picture to make it easier to see the response changes.

Bottom curve is On-Axis

Second curve up is 22.5 degree

Third curve up is 30 degree

Fourth curve up is 45 degree

Nice, That makes it much easier to compare, I wonder if those can be superimposed on top of each other.

Jeremy......Have you seen everything you want to see? I was gonna package this driver back up again to send back.

jc

I'm really pleased with your results. It is all I had hoped for. My plan for these drivers on my horns is to cross them over at around 300hz to JBL 2245H in a 12 cu. ft. ported bass reflex enclosure. On top I plan to crossover at around 4500hz to Bob Crites CT 125 tweeters. I still need to finish the enclosures and design a passive network. I would like to use an extreme slope design, but have no experience with that yet. Anyway the results you have posted have solidified my confidence in my driver selection. And this horn design should be the cat's a$$ with that JBL 2482 driver. I am impressed with the off axis plots. I expected worse. I'm never too concerned with off axis results for my listening room and habits.

Again thanx a ton for doing this jc.

Jeremy

Jeremy......Have you seen everything you want to see? I was gonna package this driver back up again to send back.

jc

I'm really pleased with your results. It is all I had hoped for. My plan for these drivers on my horns is to cross them over at around 300hz to JBL 2245H in a 12 cu. ft. ported bass reflex enclosure. On top I plan to crossover at around 4500hz to Bob Crites CT 125 tweeters. I still need to finish the enclosures and design a passive network. I would like to use an extreme slope design, but have no experience with that yet. Anyway the results you have posted have solidified my confidence in my driver selection. And this horn design should be the cat's a$$ with that JBL 2482 driver. I am impressed with the off axis plots. I expected worse. I'm never too concerned with off axis results for my listening room and habits.

Again thanx a ton for doing this jc.

Jeremy

Thanks to you as well.

I need to look for some of these 2482's for myself. If you hear of a pair up for sale in the future....shoot me a note.

Jeremy, I may have your address...but if you don't mind PMing me your mailing address again.

Thanks

jc

Guest David H

JW, it was great talking with you this evening, I am going to work on the kit you suggested. I will post pics asap.

The 223hz horns are excellent, thanks for the great design work.

The more I think about building the other project you suggested the more I cant resist the offer. Let me know when the plans are ready, I will make the time to get them done.

My plan for these drivers on my horns is to cross them over at around 300hz to JBL 2245H in a 12 cu. ft. ported bass reflex enclosure.

12 cubic feet might be a little large for a 300Hz xover. Better stuff the crap out of the cabinet and make sure it's not too deep (assuming you go with a rectangular prism for the enclosure).

I'm never too concerned with off axis results for my listening room and habits.

Until it comes time for tweaking the xover [;)] but then I guess that's one of the benefits to DIY (you can dial in for the boundary conditions of your own listening room).

The more I think about building the other project you suggested the more I cant resist the offer. Let me know when the plans are ready, I will make the time to get them done.

I worked on it a little tonight. It will happen. Thanks for considering it.

Thanks to everyone else for the input.

Keep an eye on GotHover's posts.....cool things to come.

jc

So these curves tell me that I could do 300 to 3khz. with this driver/horn Combo inside a 5db envelope which is pretty tight, the smoothest being at 45 degrees, which makes sense because you would want to face them inward for stereo.

JC, can you try the same driver on your 402's? Wonder how those would compare. How about k260?

As I've said before...I would be comfortable going out to 5K...real comfortable out to 4K. I never expected the polars to go out 45 degree (90 coverage horn).

But yea....if you wanted to have 90 coverage....300-3000 is there.

Look very similar to the K260. This JBL won't fit on the K402.

I'm done with curves for now.

jc

Oh cool, I see you posted a raw one. Any chance of raw on-axis too? A lot of the craziness in the low end is probably boundry related, but do you think that 1.1kHz resonant looking spike is real? And how about the wider 2.5kHz one? They look real easy to address with EQ, but I was wondering if it's even audible. The curves look real nice - was this from in the middle of the room or the corner?

Yea...I can post the Raw on axis later.

Not sure about those spikes. Didn't notice those when I did the other JBL 2446 outside.

The horn is elevated from the ground about 3 feet sitting close to the center of the room.

jc

Did you post measurements of the 2446 too? Just wondering if I missed those are not.

3ft from the floor would explain the spike at ~400Hz and the dips to either side. (1132/3 comes to ~380Hz, so you're measuring 1 wavelength from the floor).You should also see a spike at ~800Hz and dips to either side if the polar pattern is wide enough (which I think is apparent in the plots). And if your ceiling is 8ft, that also puts you at one wavelength at ~230Hz. So there should be a spike at 230 with dips to either side as well as 460, which I think shows up in your unsmoothed plot too. Maybe the spike at 1.2kHz is the two combing together with some polar lobe that's a bit higher from the angle you were measuring at.

Above ~800Hz you can tell that most of your polars are off the floor and the response smooths out.

I wonder what it'd take to get the polars better behaved above 2kHz. I know you're not caring about it in your application, but I still think it's an interesting problem to try and tackle.