2" 223Hz tractrix horns

Guest David H

Guest David H

These are going up for sale as soon as the paint dries, the weather has been freezing reglarly, we got 2 feet of snow tuesday so the paint will take a day or two.

Guest David H

I may make a circle hole baffle on the one you sent here and see if that does anything on the FR. Probably not but for some reason.....I like the circle idea.

I can't believe how fast you are with these.

I would be curious to see if the FR changes with the circle also. Let me know

I dont know about fast, these big suckers have 12-14 hours invested. I need to start building these 3-4 sets at a time, to cut down setup times.

The tops and bottoms are 3/4 ply the sides are triple laminated 3/16 masonite.

Have you looked at 'bendable' wood? This may cost a little more, but should speed up the build time, instead of the laminating you are doing. If you go to:

http://www.hardwoodgroup.com and save the pdf of the wood section, they have a few things on the last page (28). It's good just for the info in the document, too.

Bruce

The tops and bottoms are 3/4 ply the sides are triple laminated 3/16 masonite.

Have you looked at 'bendable' wood? This may cost a little more, but should speed up the build time, instead of the laminating you are doing. If you go to:

http://www.hardwoodgroup.com and save the pdf of the wood section, they have a few things on the last page (28). It's good just for the info in the document, too.

Bruce

I've ordered some bending Lauan and bending poplar from this site http://www.curvolutions.com/index.html it should be here any day.

EDIT - IT NEVER SHOWED UP, DON'T ORDER FROM THIS COMPANY.

Greg

The carpenter/cabinet maker at the college has some bendable ply that is pretty nice, also lauan. I'm sure he got his locally, but I don't know the source. I was thinking someone told me you could veneer it first, to have a nice wood on the face of the horn.

GotHover-

How are you laminating the masonite? Epoxy?

Bruce

Guest David H

Where do you get aliphatic resin? Is there a brand name? Would contact cement work?

It's just Titebond, I am sure you have some in the shop. I have also used Liquid nails as a damper, but it really makes no difference.

Titebond Original is the fastest setting, high-quality aliphatic resin emulsion adhesive. It dries very rapidly to give a short clamp time and has high solvent-resistance. Original is excellent for sandable general purpose assembly for particle board, MDF, plywood and other porous materials as well as edge and face gluing of hardwoods and softwoods. It is preferred by musical instrument makers around the world.

Where do you get aliphatic resin? Is there a brand name? Would contact cement work?

It's just Titebond, I am sure you have some in the shop. I have also used Liquid nails as a damper, but it really makes no difference.

Titebond Original is the fastest setting, high-quality aliphatic resin emulsion adhesive. It dries very rapidly to give a short clamp time and has high solvent-resistance. Original is excellent for sandable general purpose assembly for particle board, MDF, plywood and other porous materials as well as edge and face gluing of hardwoods and softwoods. It is preferred by musical instrument makers around the world.

I have Titebond II, is that different?

Will wood glue hold up over time? In my mind, I think it might dry up, become brittle and crack apart. I have no scientific basis for that, I guess I'm just thinking about how pieces of dry wood glue feel. It can get very hard, almost like ceramic.

Greg

Guest David H

Titebond II will do fine, the sides are also screwed or stapled in position. I have a 100+ year old rocking chair in the house here my wifes great granfather built glue only, still rock solid. I may give the gorilla glue a go on the sides as it is gap filling and tough.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest David H

how does it sound

I have been running these 2 inch horns for a week+ with 1"-2" adapters and my K-55's on my Cornscala's, and I have to say I am very pleased.

The overall presentation is huge, voices present themselves realisically. Midrange clarity is excellent and near holographic imaging.

This JW Cullison design horn is my new favorite, and I am still using a 1 inch driver. I may need to build new top cabs for my Cornscala's to handle the massive mid horn, and step up to a 2 inch driver.

post-24405-13819436183208_thumb.jpg

I have been running these 2 inch horns for a week+ with 1"-2" adapters and my K-55's on my Cornscala's, and I have to say I am very pleased.

Gothover,

You do beautiful work.

You are doing exactly what I want to do with my K Horn project. Build a horn for a 2" driver and then make an adapter to use my JBL 2470's. This will allow me to use 1", 1.4" or 2" drivers if I ever feel like changing them.

A couple of questions.

No degradation is sound quality using adapters?

Is the 225Hz the way to go for a K Horn bass bin crossed at 400 Hz?

Guest David H

A couple of questions.

I imagine there has to be some degradation by using adapters. althought I can't hear it and have no evidence to support my statement.

I would hope with the correct driver, the crossover point could be lowered to 300hz with this horn. I believe JWCullison has a 300hz JBL driver provided by Jeremy for testing to verify this horn capability.

Guest David H

Wonder how would these sound compared to the 402's ?...Or am I comparing aplles to oranges ?

This horn is designed for use in a 3way configuration where a 402 I believe is for a 2 way.

However I would also like to know what combinations this horn would be best suited for. ie. Jub,Khorn,Hornscala....

Hornscala was a typo, but I like the way it sounds.......

A couple of questions.

I imagine there has to be some degradation by using adapters. althought I can't hear it and have no evidence to support my statement.

I would hope with the correct driver, the crossover point could be lowered to 300hz with this horn. I believe JWCullison has a 300hz JBL driver provided by Jeremy for testing to verify this horn capability.

Yes. The JBL 2482 midrange only driver. Reportedly goes down to 300Hz. I've seen the spec sheet. If anyone wants to post it here.....go ahead.

I've decided to skip the outside curves. It is going to keep raining all weekend and I'm not risking any injury to Jeremy's wonderful driver.

I like what I see....so I don't feel the urge to go outside. I did not do off axis vertical curves.

jc