2" 223Hz tractrix horns

Guest David H

Guest David H

My question is... how does it sound to you? What are your ears hearing?

Bruce

Might be a little rough for JW to answer that question as he is testing a single horn. I am thrilled with the sound. I have been waiting for a few freinds to come over and give an opinion. Oddly enough my better half really likes them.

Bruce. I don't know. I'm gonna leave that up to you guys.

On axis and out to 15 degrees off axis....good to 5000Hz.

As you can see after 22.5 off axis the 5000Hz isn't as strong.

Now before anyone gets crazy on this....this is kinda what I expected. I have some curves with the Klipsch MCM K-260 horn that is worse. It falls off down to 2000Hz of axis at 30 degrees.

I'm not a pro...but I would be comfortable XO at 5000Hz....but most comfortable at 4000Hz.

The low end.......oh yea....comfortable with 300Hz easily.

jc

EDIT. Wait...I looked back. The MCM K-260 is about the same. I take that back.

jc

I have been waiting for a few freinds to come over and give an opinion.

What am I? Cottage Cheese. I love the way they sound, just need to find a place in my shack for them.

My opinion is they are better overall than any other horn I have heard, voices are just real and image excellent. I have no idea what that off axis jargon is, but I know I like them. Then again I am a little off axis.[:S]

Guest David H

Then again I am a little off axis.

Sorry Johnny I didn't exclude you, but I was hoping for a few more auditioneers before posting.

Preferably some that don't work in a shop with impact wrenches buzzing 24-7 so loud that you keep picking up the phone for no reason.

For in room test those look very good jc! What size room are you testing in?

How much smoothing have you applied?

Did you maintain the same drive level and approximate distance as you moved off axis?

Really nice looking horns GotHover!

I thought I would post the graph from the pdf of JBL's curve with their horn.

post-14473-13819436272258_thumb.jpg

I forgot how much smoothing. I'll have to check. I can post the raw. Takes awhile as I have to covert to JPEG. I need to find a quicker way.

Found it. Smoothing 1/6th.

Did you maintain the same drive level and approximate distance as you moved off axis?

yes

I thought those were pretty good for in room too. Surprised by that. Saved me some time that's for sure. Also less backache.

Size of room....~20' W x 26' depth. The back of the room opens into another room that is ~20 x 20.

jc

Guest David H

Perfect thanks.

I want to know how much smoothing JBL used on that graph. Does the anechoic chamber make that much difference?

Hey jc I guess you probably didn't want to bother with it but if you decide to test vertical just flip horn 90 deg. Although you will have to watch for interference from the floor/ceiling versus normal orientation.

I would guess though that based on these measurements that the vertical coverage is pretty well behaved also.

mike tn

Hey jc I guess you probably didn't want to bother with it but if you decide to test vertical just flip horn 90 deg. Although you will have to watch for interference from the floor/ceiling versus normal orientation.

I would guess though that based on these measurements that the vertical coverage is pretty well behaved also.

mike tn

My smoothing was 1/6th. I just posted a RAW at 45 degrees off axis.

Yea.....I could easily move the mic up and down too....just got lazy.

No good excuse there.

jc

Perfect thanks.

I  want to know how much smoothing JBL used on that graph. Does the anechoic chamber make that much difference?

That's either smoothed or an average of many drivers. However, the anechoic chamber still makes an insanely huge difference. Heck, even going outside into nature's anechoic chamber can make a huge difference. I guess you just gotta try it out to see for yourself - it's crazy.

Oh cool, I see you posted a raw one. Any chance of raw on-axis too? A lot of the craziness in the low end is probably boundry related, but do you think that 1.1kHz resonant looking spike is real? And how about the wider 2.5kHz one? They look real easy to address with EQ, but I was wondering if it's even audible. The curves look real nice - was this from in the middle of the room or the corner?