Klipsch THX ultra 2 or RF 83 system

viggnesh

dear klipsch fans and home theater enthusiasts...i currently own a klipsch RB 51 system..however am moving into a new home that has a dedicated theater room with dimesnions 14 feet wide 20 feet depth...

I am mainly a movie fan and i have zeroed in on the 7.1 THX ultra 2..but i heard a few of my friends say that RF 83 is better valuse for money as it has a better soundstage and comparatively it is good with stereo as well which might be a bonus..am not able o Do a side by comparision of the two..

So guys please share your expertise with me and help me out in this. thanks in advance

• Moderators

I have not had the opportunity to demo the Ultra2 series but am thoroughly pleased with my RF-83 setup. Have you heard each system? If so, let your ears be the judge. The Ultra2 is supposed to be excellent for HT, not sure how musical they are for 2ch though.

the ultra 2 system is designed for 3000sqft. i believe your room would be a little small from them. you wouldn't be able to fully enjoy them. you could even go down to a rf-82 set up and be just as happy. depends on how much you want to spend. i personally reccemend any of the older reference series, rf-7, rf-5, and rf-3 before i would ever suggest 82's and up.

if you want to stick with the newer reference, have you thought about the rf-63's?

the ultra 2 system is designed for 3000sqft. i believe your room would be a little small from them.

I believe that spec has more to do with being able to hit the maxSPL's that refernce volumes require....a smaller room just means you turn the volume down a little bit.

The Ultra2 package was designed to ensure that you get the same sound over multiple listening positions - not just one single sweet spot. Of course, Klipsch usually always has that as one of their design goals. It's one of the advantages that horns give you.

As far as which system to go with...all I gotta say is that's a really hard question. Having heard both in a few different situations, I can only say that you would be very pleased with both. What kind of budget are we looking at? There might be some other options to consider too.

thanks a lot friends...i dont mind spending that much on the ultra 2 if its sound is superior to the RF 83....wat inclines me towards THX is its subwoofers and its wide soundstage..coud not hear RF83... if money is not an issue is it worth the extra money on the THX?? thanks in advance

V,

Congrats to you, for being able to afford a THX system............Wow ! But with the economy being what it is, you would be just fine with the RF 83 of even the RF 82 system. Take the difference and save it for a "Ah Sh**" day.................Good Luck and post pics when you get set up................

Bill H.

Viggnesh,

If you are talking about something strictly for movies and money is no object then I would say the THX Ultra 2. That is the main purpose of the speaker.

Post some pictures when you get everything setup. Remember whatever system you get just sit back and enjoy. [Y]

James

hello Drwho..my budget on the speakers can go upto 10,000 to 12000 dollars.....thanks

Since this is a dedicated room, do you think you can swing 3x lascala II along the front and then 4x Heresy for the side/rears?
http://www.klipsch.com/products/details/la-scala-ii.aspx

http://www.klipsch.com/products/details/heresy-iii.aspx

That
would be $12,200 at MSRP. You might be able to swing that and a pair of
the Ultra2 subs for about $13,000 at dealer pricing. If the Heresy is
too big for the surrounds, then the Ultra2 surrounds would achieve a
good timbre match (albeit more expensive). This would be a whole heck
of a lot cheaper if you took advantage of the used market - not sure if
you wanna go that route or not.

You'll also want to make sure
you're a good 6-8ft away from all of these speakers - not sure if
that'll work in your situation or not. Do you have plans for the layout
of the room, or is this starting totally from scratch? I think that might dictate what is the best option actually...

hello Drwho..my budget on the speakers can go upto 10,000 to 12000 dollars.....thanks

Since this is a dedicated room, do you think you can swing 3x lascala II along the front and then 4x Heresy for the side/rears?

http://www.klipsch.com/products/details/la-scala-ii.aspx

http://www.klipsch.com/products/details/heresy-iii.aspx

That

would be $12,200 at MSRP. You might be able to swing that and a pair of

the Ultra2 subs for about $13,000 at dealer pricing. If the Heresy is

too big for the surrounds, then the Ultra2 surrounds would achieve a

good timbre match (albeit more expensive). This would be a whole heck

of a lot cheaper if you took advantage of the used market - not sure if

you wanna go that route or not.

You'll also want to make sure

you're a good 6-8ft away from all of these speakers - not sure if

that'll work in your situation or not. Do you have plans for the layout

of the room, or is this starting totally from scratch? I think that might dictate what is the best option actually...

Sound advice (no pun intended) from the good Dr. Who. I could not agree more with his recommendation. OTOH if it is just a choice B/T Ref/THX Ultra 2 I'd go with the THX Ultra 2's

If it was dedicated movie room I would get theTHX system over the RF-83 and look at my sig and you will see that I own a RF-83 setup. I think the THX are better at movies, while the RF-83 are all around good too but more for asthetics and good sound and music while the THX primary reason was for movies.

BTW you should be able to get lower than msrp by a double digit percentage.

• 1 month later...

Dear friends...i have decided to go ahead with the RF 83 system as i got a great deal on them...i hope i have made the right choice...jus i have these doubts..

The THX at first place impressed me for it extraordinary BASS...will i be able to get such an output from RT 12 D??

I have zeroed in on two REceivers for this package...onkyo 905 or sunfire TGR 401. please help me out..

Thanks in advance

• Moderators

Did you already purchase the RT-12D? If so, just try it out. If it doesn not perform like you need it to, sell it here or on Audiogon, or Ebay and then get the sub you really want, which sounds like the THX Ultr 2 sub. You could even go with an Epik Conquest, Elemental Designs or an SVS Ultra sub. All great performers. Let your ears be the judge and go from there.

good news....i got a great deal on THX ultra 2..the dealer has agreed to take back my order on RF 83 system and give me a thx ultra 2 7.1 with two subs....he gave me a great deal..( remember am from india and AV is very dear here) i got an offer to take the THX ultra 2 and sunfire TGR 401 for 12500 dollars...and i am taking it.....

does these two work well together??

I own RF-63 RC-64 RS-52 and YAMAHA RX-V1900

My friend has Ultra2 system and runs with Integra 9.8 & Theta 5ch amp.

I prefer my RF-63 system. RF-63 is good in music and nice in movie for me.

Ultra2 system can generate a powerful movie theater and RF-63 can deliver very tiny sound.

I have no idea about the difference between RF-63 and RF-83 except the bass.

But RF-63 is a little too big for me..

i got the THX over the RF 83 was because of the deal....i know the floorstanders are too good for music as compared to the THX..but am a movie person and am not really that mellowed down to enjoy stereo currently...may be when i do get the maturity i will invest in a decent two channel setup specifically for music..

Guys, please let me know if the sunfire TGR 401 and THX ultra 2 works well together