Jolida vs MC 2105

Avinator

I started my tube journey with a Jolida. (Integrated... 502b I think?)

I ended up selling it because of the noise it had in the volume knob.

I'd personally venture to say that if you buy something and compare it to a McIntosh unit...you'd probably be able to get your same dollars out of the Mac unit before you might the (insert other brand) unit.

Just a thought for you and by no means, does it mean I'm right.

I currently run my Khorns with a Mc2125 and often wonder how a tube amp would sound in it's place. I am really happy with the Mac's sound, so I'm hesitant to change. I'd be interested to hear your opinions on which route you take and why. -kevin

I am not sure which route to go myself. The Mac which I borrowed from my friend brought my kg 4s to live .. It was solid state - the 2105 I think. From all the people I spokek with they seem to think the Jolida would be a good entry level tube amp. Some other people recommended that I try the mc 1500 which is an all tube receiver. I did read some reviews on Ayon which seem to be produce class A tube amps. The prices are a bit 2 rich forme at this point. I will shop around and see where I can get the best bang for my buck. I would not hesiate to go he MAC route if I can get a good deal.

Cheers

I don't know how it might work on your KG's... but when I had Khorns, I had a little OTL amp (4 wpc). Of all the tube amps I had, the OTL amp sounded the most natural to me.

If I EVER get another amp, the first one I think I'd have to try again would be another OTL, although I would like to get more power than the little one I had.

I suppose there are pros/cons to an OTL amp that I'm unaware of because of my ignorance. That said, I also think there has got to be some logic to getting rid of the transformers and hooking the drivers up to the tubes themselves.

Ya know...now that I think about that more... I'd almost think that the purists who want minimal stuff in their system might find intrigue with an OTL since it gets rid of yet another part. (just babbling out loud there)

Avintor:

FWIW I sold all my mac.......

A very reasonably priced "modern" high quality integrated are the Cayins....exampl: (no affiliation)

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?intatube&1233869395&/Cayin-A-70T-Excelent--conditio

I have heard several of these through various speakers and they sound excellent....the build quality is very good and they perform way out of their price point for a chinese built unit....

by far not the be-all or end-all in amps....but for the price a nice way to get into reasonably trouble free, transparent, musical, modern tube sound......Just my opinion

Just to chime in on China made stuff--many people on this forum know me as being one to preach" buy American", since I'm a proud UAW (laid off) worker and builder of the finest trucks in all of USofA. BUT, I recently bought a Shanling CD player used on e-Pay, and I am amazed at the build quality and the sound of this unit. I wouldn't hesitate to buy other equipment made in China. Even Stereophile Magazine raves about a China made tube amp in it's latest issue. Just my 2 cents.

Fender.....is the radar detector still for sale?

[:D][:D][:D][:D][:D]

Avinator:

Hollywood sound is local to me and he carries VERY high end gear....10K monoblocks...20K turntables ....etc and proudly displays and auditions the Cayins right along with the big boys......I know the Cayins are made in china ....but the build quality is far superior to anything I've seen in comparable price range...

just food for thought.......as I would never impose upon any one as to what sounds "good"........I just know that in the past I have spent mega bucks trying to restore vintage gear up to modern specs and sound....and to my ears even the "budget" modern gear is light years ahead of restored vintage *****CAVEAT **** that is my taste, some would never think of trading their MC 30 monos or HK or Scott for anything in the world........

So If I were you, I would Listen to as much vintage and modern gear as possible before dropping $$$$ and see what you prefer......

Just to chime in on China made stuff--many people on this forum know me as being one to preach" buy American", since I'm a proud UAW (laid off) worker and builder of the finest trucks in all of USofA. BUT, I recently bought a Shanling CD player used on e-Pay, and I am amazed at the build quality and the sound of this unit. I wouldn't hesitate to buy other equipment made in China. Even Stereophile Magazine raves about a China made tube amp in it's latest issue. Just my 2 cents.

Shanling is high end gear from China and priced accordingly.... I would not suggest using it as a gage for all gear being marketed from that country.. That would be similar to using the Chevy Corvette to review the Chevy Chevette.

Craig

Shanling is high end gear from China and priced accordingly.... I would not suggest using it as a gage for all gear being marketed from that country.. That would be similar to using the Chevy Corvette to review the Chevy Chevette.

Craig

Good Point, Craig. I really don't know bad stuff from good stuff coming out of China, so I really took a gamble when I bought this unit "blind".