OT:Do you know anything about life in the Little Rock, Arkansas area?

Trey Cannon

They call it California except for the housing market and earquakes.

The housing market is a very mixed bag in California. There are pockets of total devastation - like Stockton and Sacramento. And, there are areas that took much smaller hits, like city of San Francisco. Generally speaking, the unchecked suburban sprawl areas filled with nothing but vast expanses of cheap stucco boxes and endless strip-malls did very poorly, whereas communities with useful infrastructure and solid ammenities faired better. Of course, everyone took some loss.

So how do you think a custom home builder from Maine would do there in the upcoming years?

Starting over in business takes a lot of energy, I don't know if I've got it anymore. Pretty settled with a 20 year old business here in Maine.

Never seen a bear (excluding my mother in law) here in Maine and I've lived here 44 years.

Greg

well, I've never been accused of being "normal;" but, during my Coast Guard career I had to choose what I believed were the "lesser of two evils" those being moving to Grand Haven, Michigan or Fort Macon, North Carollina. I choose Grand Haven because I had already served on an Icebreaking ship on the Great Lakes. Coming from the Los Angeles area--it was culture shock and I hated it. I remember saying that I'd finish out my enlistment (one year remaining) then I'm going back to California. When that year ended, I had grown to love living in Grand Haven and reelinsted so I could finish the four-year tour. When it came time to transfer I was given the choice of Long Beach, California or Boston--any Laker fan worth his weight would never live in Boston, so I chose to return back "home." It was harder leaving Grand Haven to come home than it was to leave home to go there. But, I moved back home and after two weeks of visiting the old haunts, i asked myself "why was I so eager to come back here?" After a year of being back though, I was back being happy living here and didn't want to leave California again.

I don't know how normal that is to be unhappy, then happy, then unhappy, then happy again pertaining to where one lives--I guess when you realize that "this is where I live now" you start looking at the good stuff that place offers--or maybe I'm just neurotic. After all people do tell me that I have plenty of speakers and wonder why I want more.

Having living here in Virginia for the past 15 years, I found I am really liking this area:

No Severe Weather: Actually don't get very much in this area. It can occur, but very rarely.

4 Seasons: Yup, get that as well, although the winters tend to be milder than farther up north (and being from Wisconsin as well as Northern PA, I know what a "real" winter is like!)

No Snakes: I've never had a problem with snakes in this area. Yeah, I sometimes encouter them along the river, but they seem to be more scared of me than I of them.

No Tornados: Yeah, the do occur, but very rarely, although this past June was particularly nasty - had an F-3 come and tore up a neighborhood just north of my place pretty good.

No Hurricanes: By the time they reach this area, they are pretty much petered out by then and more or less just make a lot of noise more than anything. Was actually kinda fun playing in the rain during that one we had come through this past summer.

Mountains: Yup, can get to the Blue Ridge mountains and Shanandoah Valley within an hours or so drive. I like to go hiking up in the Shanandoah National Park. In fact, where I ski patrol is up in the Shanandoah Valley (Massanutten Resort).

Lakes: Yup, got those too. In fact, the OCEAN is within a couple of hours drive from here as well. Lake Anna is only 20 minutes as well.

Natural Beauty: The aformentioned Shanandoah National Park. Not only that, but the Rappahannock River right here in town is actually very nice to spend time on as well.

Good Housing Market: The housing market in this area has actually been pretty good, although I've not really paid much attention to it as of late (I am quite happy with what I got right now and don't see any reason for me to move - been in this same place for the past 13 or so years).

The only real downsides is the traffic, which really sucks as times (I've been hearing the traffic is only second or third worst in the country, with LA and San Francisco being the two worst (or this area ahead of S.F), depending on who you talk to). Also, the summers here can be pretty brutal as well, with the 90+ degrees and humidity.

I'm from Memphis. Believe it or not, it's a VERY rough city! In the military, I meet a lot of people who think it's all country, and with Graceland it's a nice place to live. I'm sure it has its nice parts, but I haven't seen them. On the other hand, if you get outside of Memphis, there is some really pretty country and civilized living. Anyway, I hear that LR is a lot like Memphis, which in my book isn't a good thing. I wanted to leave that city for a reason............

Thanks for the info.

Sorry I had to edit the thread. I just want the fatcs about Little Rock not the politics from there.

He will be working about 30 min south of LR on HWY 167. Young guy, first big Eng. Job.

HWY 167 is no fun to commute on to Little Rock. I'd live as close as I could from work but it is a beautiful area.

Sounds like Sheridan or East End?

Your right Buddy, Sheridan.

But he thinks he wants to live in the city...

Actually if he were commuting to Sheridan from Little Rock that wouldn't be so bad as the traffic would be going the opposite ways on commutes. I would look at the Downtown RiverMarket area and maybe Argenta because he would be really close to the hwy to get to Sheridan. If he doesn't like that there are lots of apartments and small houses off of Riverfront Drive down by the river. The Hillcrest area is very close as well. Hillcrest and Riverfront are really good areas IMO. I've lived in both.

Trey,

Unless this guy is young, single and wants quick access to night life in a wet area, his best bet is to just live in Sheridan or in the country near Sheridan, IMHO. I have been staying in the LR area for the last year or so and reallty hate it, but I never have liked city life much to begin with. If he has kids and intends to school them in public schools, Sheridan is a much better deal than LR or NLR, IMHO (I'm a former teacher, too, hint, hint). He will come to hate the commute if he lives in LR area, especially if fuel prices begin to climb again!