Bah, Humbug...

Mallette

This Christmas business is getting in the way of my audio and I can't wait for it to be done.

OK, mainly kidding.

My Teac PB-64 patch bay showed up and I've already routed a couple of pain points through it. For those who've been here whilst I attempted to re-route one thing or the other you'll like this. Even already have the humbucker circuit on there so I can throw a line to the Frazier Eleven system for that Spring rematch we are going to have with just a change of a couple of patch cords. I should have done this years ago.

Also, my DBX-400 program route selector showed up...such a deal for 80.00 delivered! I am even going to put my DBX NX-40 tape/disc unit on line, since I'll be able to access it with a touch of a button on the 400. I've not begun to figure out all the other things I can do with it yet...

Also, one of the Frazier Patio's I bought from Michael Hettinger (mhett) arrived today. Twice as large as I expected, and darn near mint...even has a badge, which is rare for Frazier's. I expect great sound given the drivers and cabinet size.

The outdoor AM-FM Reciever from Parts Express I am going to drive them with out by the pool showed up as well. Once it is up and running anything I play in the music room will be available all over the house and ground via the Ramsey FM30B.

I remained amazed at the sound quality of that thing, and equally amazed that so few use these as opposed to the pricier alternatives.

Dave

my DBX-400 program route selector showed up

Merry Christmas Scrooge! [:P]

Regarding the 400, I presume you know this but just in case...

You don't need to plug it into the wall. The ONLY purpose the plug fills is for the lights on the front and nothing else. I stumbled onto that by accident.

Probably doesn't matter but I thought it was interesting.

>Merry Christmas Scrooge! Stick out tongue

Well, actually we aren't even going to our traditional midnight mass...but we will be doing it together here before the kids bedtime and I am looking forward to it. While I love a big formal church service, there is something special about just the family and a quiet communion. "Wherever two or three are gathered in My name..."

Anyway, I like the lights and was aware there were no active components. I didn't want any.

But speaking of Scrooge. 100.00 for the Frazier Patios, 63.00 for the Teac PB-64, 80.00 for the DBX400, and 79.00 for the outdoor AM/FM Reciever. Music all over the house and grounds: PRICELESS!

I hope all the Klever Klipsch Klan has a blessed Christmas and the New Year brings the Pilgrimage back on line!

Dave

my DBX-400 program route selector showed up

Merry Christmas Scrooge! Stick out tongue

Regarding the 400, I presume you know this but just in case...

You don't need to plug it into the wall. The ONLY purpose the plug fills is for the lights on the front and nothing else. I stumbled onto that by accident.

Probably doesn't matter but I thought it was interesting.

I always wondered what the power was needed for because it does not have any relays.

Ok, it gets merrier. The MIL (perhaps the PAMIL?) gives me a set of wireless 900mhz speakers that solves the kitchen issue. Never saw the brand before, but they don't sound bad, especially since the adjoining downstairs family room has Frazier Mark IV's that are fed from the master bedroom system that supply bass. I just put the transmitter on a spare out from the Denon down there and was up and running.

Merry Christmas, indeed!

Dave

Well I just got this:

Virgil Fox ( Sealed) Plays Bach Organ command classics 1963.......I have to be my own santa, the wife/kids/everyone else can't take a hint and still get me socks, hats, wallet......I had a list of 15 or so lp's that I wanted, posted on the fridge for 2 months......

I also snagged a 1st pressing mint- Satchmo plays King oliver!!!!

On topic ....the dbx 400 is a great unit....I got one about 3 months ago....very versatile

Dave,

I've been looking for an article on patchbays in a back issue of Tape Op magazine. Really might help you out. It has all the stuff about normalled, half normalled, how to route stuff. Geared for studio use, but the idea is the same. I think I have mine backwards, but you have everything playing back on the top, etc. and inputs on the bottom. It all works out once you see it. Does the TEAC have cards that you can turn over for different setups? I have a Neutrik one I picked up a long time ago, and it helps a lot.

Bruce

Had an '84 dbx 400X for years (bought it new in Stuttgart). Guess when I was downsizing in the late '90s I pawned it off then. What a shame...I put that route selector to good use when I owned 3 cassette decks at once (Nakamichi DRAGON and BX-1, and later a 3-head harman/kardon CD 491).

Glad the Teac patchbay is working out for ya, Dave.

Bruce:

The Teac is not a professional type with normalized functions. Frankly, I was trying to avoid that much work! Once I've used it a year or two I might invest in a normalized bay to keep the clutter down. This one simply is front and back RCA plugs. You normalize the old fashioned way...

Actually, I am pretty sure I have a pricey pro bay from many years ago somewhere up in the garage attic.

Dave

Mine was pretty cheap, but the front panel comes off and you can pull the card out. Each card has four 1/4 inch phone jacks. Depending on which way you have the card changes your config. Pretty slick. Since a bunch of the gear in my audio rack has 1/4 inch jacks, it make it easy to hook up. It sure beats looking in the back of a cabinet with a flashlight to change something.

I only have to keep track of the drawing I made that tells me what jack is what...

Whooo...please review, fenderbender. Those sound like great finds!

Yeah, I've only run my DBX 4BX through the 400 so far, but I am beginning to get ideas.  I am tickled to death with the patch bay.  It's gonna be great at the next gathering.

Dave

I'm chomping at the bit to hear them.....Stuck up in the frozen tundra of Canada....Burrrrrrrr......hopefully will be back in sunny Florida by sunday evening

I also got a few nice first edition Blue notes and Prestige releases from a great shop in Toronto (Cosmo's Records on queen and Bathhurst if anyone is up that way)

Anyway got the new Lyra Cart on the VPI......the Virgil Fox should be heaven!!!!! I'll report back as soon as I listen a few times through.....