KLF-30's and Mr Crites crossovers...

HRDROKN

So for a little recap.... I'm running a CT28v with either a TFM-35x.2 or M1.0t MKII.2 (both are modified amps) to my Klipsch KLF-30's. Of the two amps it is my feeling (hearing) that tells me I like the sound of the M1.0t a little better overall. My biggest complaint if you will, has been my speakers. They have been anything from a bit forward to somewhat grainy and annoying. I have been messing around with different DSP (hall) effects, but that has caused other problems such as the "droan" I spoke of in another thread. Also have been relentlessly working on speaker position.

So the latest change has again produced something not quite expected..... I purchased new passive crossovers from Bob Crites. Upon receiving them I decided that I didn't like all the crimp connections so I replaced them all with soldered connections and just a couple other changes with wire size on the LF network.

I just hooked up the first completed speaker to compare against the other unchanged speaker.... the new mod has made a very noticeable difference in the sound. The easiest way to describe it is what my wife said "one speaker sounds like it is in a bare room and the other sounds like the walls are padded". I concur with that... the moded speaker sounds warm and is producing a better low (deeper) end. I also notice that the tweeter seems to be almost enjoyable and somewhat musical, compared to just being tingy.

So I'm going to get started on the other speaker.... hopefully done tonight!

"I purchased new passive crossovers from Bob Crites."

Wow Bob. I didn't know you were making new networks for the legend series. That is great. So there are available options for the KLF-10,20 and the 30??.

jc

"I purchased new passive crossovers from Bob Crites."

Wow Bob. I didn't know you were making new networks for the legend series. That is great. So there are available options for the KLF-10,20 and the 30??.

jc

We have built some for the KLF-20, KLF-30 and KLF-C7. I don't think anyone has asked for a KLF-10 crossover yet.

Bob

Hey JC,

If those KLF-20's are anything like (or better) than the 30's... they will be a great pair for pounding on! I have to say that I have owned these 30's for 10 years now and have beat (abused) on these speakers regularly! The only problems that I have had, was a burnt tweeter... looked like the coil was slightly misaligned and was rubbing the structure. Then recently I was adding some dampening material to the backs of the K-703 horns and noticed that the structure was cracked where the driver screw in. The K-703 replacements had an aluminum insert for the driver mount, so I don't expect this to be a problem again.

m

• 2 weeks later...

We have built some for the KLF-20, KLF-30 and KLF-C7. I don't think anyone has asked for a KLF-10 crossover yet.

Bob

Well we finally cured that lack of a KLF-10 crossover build didn't we Bob

I just got my Crites crossovers and tweets for my KLF-10's delivered this morning, after about 2 hours of install time, they are in, and I'm listening to them right now. The upgrades definatly brought out the highs, made the bass a bit more defined and tight, and they image and throw a soundstage a whole lot better than they did before. I'd buy them again, and deal with Bob again in a heartbeat

Posted Image

• 2 weeks later...

Hey JC,

If those KLF-20's are anything like (or better) than the 30's... they will be a great pair for pounding on! I have to say that I have owned these 30's for 10 years now and have beat (abused) on these speakers regularly! The only problems that I have had, was a burnt tweeter... looked like the coil was slightly misaligned and was rubbing the structure. Then recently I was adding some dampening material to the backs of the K-703 horns and noticed that the structure was cracked where the driver screw in. The K-703 replacements had an aluminum insert for the driver mount, so I don't expect this to be a problem again.

m

The klf 30s [Y] Rock and Rock hard

• 1 month later...