KOA La Scala - Update - Now with cane

greg928gts

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thank you everyone for the kind words. Yes, that veneer is just awesome. I wish it had come out more brown instead of the greenish hue it has to it, but maybe that will change over time, as it often does with these woods. Wait till you see the Khorns!

I love cane grill cloth, maybe I'll take a look at that before I proceed with the Khorns.

Richard - no work here this winter, so send em right over!

Greg

Greg: stunning work on the veneer, honestly man, you have a talent for that, just unbeleiveable. On the grille cloth.... not sure if I really care for it that much, but whatever floats yer boat. Usually the fabric stores close by have a good selection of thin polyesters that will do fine for grille cloth, in a multitude of colors, and cheap to boot.

I would go with black for the grill covers.

I like the KOA and I would want to see more of it when looking at the LS. So I would leave off the bottom grill covers so you can see more of the KOA while sitting down.

That is what I like about the KHorns you see the whole front of them with whatever veener you use.

Wonderful work, of course.

I think something is a little wrong. But please know that my major source of knowledge on this is from "What Not to Wear" and home decorating programs on the tube. Below I'm an engineer rather than a decorator. Take it with a grain of salt.

The foreground pattern in the wood is red/purple and curved.

There is also a triangular theme with the front of the dog house; which is an okay geometric contast (and classy) which can not be avoided.

Then the grill cloth color matches the foregound in the wood and is of square pattern which also matches the box but that might be what we don't want to give attention to (these are big boxes). And the grill cloth has almost as much impression from some viewing angles as the wood.

The bottom line is that there are three themes themes with closely matched in eye-impact. But because of this, they are at war with each other, on an equal footing. Do we have curves, and triangles, and squares? Two themes are contrast; three is confusion.

Consider men's suits. Pants and jacket have the most real estate, the shirt is smaller in presentation, the tie is smaller still. They don't have to be the same color and pattern. They can contrast. But this is mostly a matter of balancing area, pattern, and color. If you have a stripped suit and a wild tie, only a white shirt will do.

- - - -

We can only change the grill cloth here. I don't know the best choice, but consider:

Grill cloth color to match the background of the wood. Tan or whatever. That way the patten of the wood (the star of the show), is not distracted from.

No pattern to the grill cloth. Smooth. Again, reduce the war issue..

If there is a square pattern to the grill cloth, turn it 45 degrees to make a diamond to match the dog house. I know, grill cloth is expensive, too.

Gee, your work is so beautiful. Maybe you should consult the local decortator and ask what to do.

Best wishes for the New Year.

Wm McD

• 3 weeks later...