A really good rock LP is . . . thread

Chicago_Pete

AC/DC - any one of their albums. I like mostly their earlier stuff especially when Bon Scott was the lead singer but even after his passing in 1980 they were/are still fantastic. and to this day their songs are still played in bars all over Australia and they still rock on.

The best Rock group that ever was and is anywhere in the world IMHO. I know I am going to get hammered for that massive bold statement.

Songs like:

Hells Bells
It's a long way to the top if you wanna rock n roll
Dirty Deeds
High Voltage Rock N Roll
Back in Black
Jail Break
Highway to Hell
You shook me all night long
Who Made Who
Shoot to Thrill
Thunderstruck

These are just some songs that come into mind, and all fantastic ROCK songs. Like how can you go through the above list and not agree IMHO..

And I would think all would be available on LP. though the ealier stuff maybe a bit hard to come by as they are very sort after especially here in DownUnder.

Rock On.

Just played Humble Pie's Don't Need No Doctor live.
Recording sucks but that is a smoking tune!

Hmmmmm.....interesting. I spun a New Riders of the Purple Sage version of that tune last night....good stuff.

How about the Who's "Tommy"? Very good rock work that sounds really good, especially with the full instrumentation this album provides. An oldie I play through fairly often.

Another oldie I have gotten back into in a BIG way is ZZ Top's "Deguello" (furnish your own umlaut), especially with the more recent tweaking of my tube gear. Billy Gibbons' tone and sound here is really fun. A simple pleasure I never tire of.

AC/DC - any one of their albums. I like mostly their earlier stuff especially when Bon Scott was the lead singer but even after his passing in 1980 they were/are still fantastic. and to this day their songs are still played in bars all over Australia and they still rock on.

Oh, they are played here too - and in various ways, both Bon and Brian eras are soundtracks of people's lives here. Back In Black from my high school days was just - the anthem, ya know.....that was until I discovered the Grateful Dead about year or two later.

But gimme Bon Scott ANYTIME, above all other AC/DC. His bluesy voice added a character that Brian cannot fill....while I "tolerated" Brian but still enjoyed the band in later years, Bon was the spice that made them cool. And Bon did that "bad boy" thing in an especially devilish yet endearing way that Brian just was never quite right for. Like your mom would NEVER let Brian in the house....but Bon was just shrewd enough that he might talk your mom into liking him - even though mom would never admit it. Bon was better at that. Like when he used to quip about concert security that "they ain't 'rock and roll' ". He just had a way....

For me, High Voltage is the superlative statement of that spirit....it's that "getting away with just enough to be trouble but not enough to be really harmful, ya know"....like "Standin' in line at the Odeon, all right......can I sit next to you, Girl? Hehehehehehe.....and The Jack is just a hoot. "She gave me the King...." High Voltage was the initial release here in the states - although I am well aware that the homeland Aussies had those initial releases packaged differently.

Tommy Bolin - Teaser.

One of the most prolific writers/guitarists of the 70's. Played rock, jazz (jissss..), and mixed genres with James Gang, Deep Purple, Billy Cobham before launching out on his own at the end of his short career.DP brother Glenn Hughes had convinced Tommy to do his own vocals on his albums and the result is a growly, tender sound that has soul.

With Stanley Sheldon of Frampton's band on bass, Toto's prolific Jeff Pocaro, Prarie Prince from the Tubes, and Phil Collinson drums, Jan Hammer and Narada Michael Walden on keys and Dave Sanborn on occasional sax, it's a Who's Who of greats.

post-10755-1381943620291_thumb.jpg

Not to Hijack the thread or anything but...I got Led Zep's Mothership on vinyl and Metallica Master of Puppets on (45rpm) vinyl for Christmas. The Led Zep is superb, but the Metallica sounds very 2 dimensional and bright. Do you think it was recorded with the wrong equalization, or is it just the way the master was cut? Or maybe just my system? I think MOFI is doing the actual pressing of the old Metallica stuff for the other labels. I'm afraid to buy the other Metallica vinyl if it's all going to sound like this. Anyone else have the same results with the new Metallica releases?

Barnstorm, Joe Walsh

Hell yeah, forgot about this one.

How about Joe Walsh's "So What." I'm kind of partial to that LP's version of Turn To Stone.

A few more of my all-time favorites from my early teen years:

Jethro Tull, Thick As A Brick

ELP, Trilogy

Jerry Garcia Band, Self-titled (sometimes referred to as "The Wheel")

Not to Hijack the thread or anything but...I got Led Zep's Mothership on vinyl and Metallica Master of Puppets on (45rpm) vinyl for Christmas. The Led Zep is superb, but the Metallica sounds very 2 dimensional and bright. Do you think it was recorded with the wrong equalization, or is it just the way the master was cut? Or maybe just my system? I think MOFI is doing the actual pressing of the old Metallica stuff for the other labels. I'm afraid to buy the other Metallica vinyl if it's all going to sound like this. Anyone else have the same results with the new Metallica releases?

Kevin,

I thought Mothership was really bright, even when I tried them on my Cornwalls. I like the 200 gram Classic reissues much better than these although I admit the detail is spectacular. Just not much bass and sort of thin-sounding IMO. I've had them for a couple months but only played three or four sides so far. Maybe I should give them another try. Thanks for reminding me.

Stephen Stills "Manassas" is one of my favorite recordings.

Absolutely!

I'll third that! I love that recording so much that I spent $35 to get the 200 gram Classic reissue last year. Spectacular pressing of an already spectacular pressing. It's tough to beat even the original of that LP.

Speaking of great original pressings, here are a couple recommendations:

New Riders of the Purple Sage, The Adventures of Panama Red

Blood Sweat & Tears - I don't recall the title, maybe self-titled? The LP with Spinning Wheel, etc.

Chicago Transit Authority

These last two have great sounding half-speed reissues but the original Columbia 2-Eye pressings are amazing, even the later solid red label pressings sound great! Highly recommended.

What about Ten Years After recorded Live? "One of these days..." is great on that one! (Maybe I'm the only Alvin Lee fan on the forum??)

A Space in Time is one of my all time favorites - not a weak song on the album. I saw Ten Years After 3 or 4 times in the 70's. Once drove from DC to Philly just to see them. Those were the days.

How about Hot Tuna - Hoppkorv - a great album esp. side A

Little Feat, with the late great Lowell George - Down on the Farm

Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon & Wish you were here

Queen - A night at the opera

Robin Trower - Bridge of Sighs

Led Zeppelin II

Collective Soul - Collective Soul

The Kinks - One for the Road (quality is average, but the performance is first rate)

Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers - Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers

• Like 1

• Moderators

The best Rock group that ever was and is anywhere in the world IMHO. I know I am going to get hammered for that massive bold statement.

I love 'em, they are the best Scottish rock band of all time and have the greatest rock song with bag pipes in my opinion.

I'm 48, and it has been hard to bet folks to go with me to shows on their latest tour here in the US. I'm even planing on catching them in their native Scotland for their Glasgow show.

Travis

I love 'em, they are the best Scottish rock band of all time and have the greatest rock song with bag pipes in my opinion.

I'm 48, and it has been hard to bet folks to go with me to shows on their latest tour here in the US. I'm even planing on catching them in their native Scotland for their Glasgow show.

Travis

Travis they sure are amazing. Here in pubs when they play their songs, well the pub just goes off, people go crazy. the guys and girls just go crazy It's amazing. We love our acca dacca (that's what many of us call them), the song with the bagpipes that is 'it's a long way to the top (if you wanna rock n roll' and yes the bagpipes is very surprisingly a fantastic touch to the song. It was mixed in brilliantly I thought.

But I must clarify. AC/DC is definitely 100% Australian. The band was formed in 1973 in Sydney Australia. Bon Scott, the original lead singer of the band was born in Scotland. I tell ya if you brought yourself a ticket and flew to Australia went to a pub and an ac/dc song played you would see what I am talking about. I know in Melbourne the pub scene is fantastic. You can do a pub crawl. That is like a group of people on a bus takes you from pub to pub all night long.

Audible Nectar - when I read your post I sang to my self.. "HIGH VOLTAGE ROCK N ROLL!!!!!" great song. One of their best.

A mention has to also go out to Angus Young on lead guitar. Also born in Scotland. He is AMAZING on guitar and performance IMHO.

post-29998-13819436282898_thumb.jpg

If you are allowed to squint at little between the rock and blues genres I would like to suggest

• JGeils: Full House
  • The Allman Brothers Band: Live At Filmore East
  • Paul Butterfield Blues Band: East West (admitteldy blues)
  • Rolling Stones: Let It Bleed
  • Neil Young and Crazyt Horse: Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere
  • BB King: Live at Cook County Jail

+1 for the Who Live at Leeds suggestion, as well as Who's Next

Of course, who could forget one of the granddaddies of METAL. After all, could not let a discussion ofrock go by without at least throwing some metal in there.

In this case - JUDEST PRIEST! In the form of thier latest and greatest on vinyl. Yup, these guys still got it where it counts! I am actually quite impressed with this (and being the first new vinyl I've purchased in something like 20 years or so). The recording quality on this album is pretty darn good (despite it being on a Sony/BMG label - didn't think they were still capable of putting anything out that is decent, especially after that whole rootkit/DRM fiasco of a couple of years ago - but I digress....):

Judest Priest - Nostradamus:

JudestPriest-Nostradameaus001Medium.jpg

A Space in Time is one of my all time favorites - not a weak song on the album.

For a studio-recorded album, whoever the "recording engineers" were did one helluva job on "A space In Time" because it is one of the very cleanest rock recordings of all time...Alvin Lee's picking on "I'd Love to Change the World" makes it one of the greatest classic songs of rock!!