recievers?

cokid

I'll wrap all the reply's you'll get into one answer. Check out all these manufacturers. You won't go wrong with any of these: Pioneer Elite, Yamaha, Marantz, Onkyo, or if you want to go higher end than that....... there's always used items. Just go to the websites and check out the specs on all of them.

I don' know that more power is what you need. Maybe better power?

Are the RF15 difficult to drive? A sonic advantage can be had with a better amp section if the speakers have low impedence dips. There might not be a great sonic benefit of swaping out a receiver for another if the speakers are an easy load to begin with. Sorry to be a wet blanket here.

Hi, I just signed up. I would like some opinions on changing my reciever.

I before E except after C. That's my opinion on your "reciever".[:D]

Nah, I'm just being difficult. I don't know how accurate that 85W rating is. So many receivers can't come anywhere close to meeting their advertised power with all channels driven. But, assuming it's close to the truth, you'd have to get a lot more power to notice much difference driving the klipsch set-up you have. I'd upgrade somewhere else. Like Blu-Ray!![H]

Thank you all !! The RF15's are 96db 100 watts, RS35 97db 125 watts, RC25 96db 125watts all 8 ohm. These are efficient speakers. Maybe better power as was mentioned or a reciever that is delivering the rated wattage to all channels which was also mentioned. No blue ray yet, I have a 35 inch CRT tv that is 20 yrs. old. My DVD is svideo, digi optical and so is the STD def. DTV.

The reason I was asking for opinions is that I was told at two big box stores and two local high end stores that a newer, more pwerful reciever would improve my sound. I was told it would improve the low end and help the mids and highs. The brands were pioneer elite, yamaha, onkyo, marantz, nad. I think they wanted to make a sale. Maybe they are all correct and I would hear an improvement. The only way to know is to try it and that will have to wait for now.

Thanks again

• Like 1

Yes, it can help...the Onkyo 806 seems to be a very nice selection. I would go out on a limb here though.....If you REALLY want an upgrade at a VERY reasonable price, try getting a used pair of RF-3 II's for your mains. I guess you can get these for about $300. I've not heard the RF15's, but I am imagining they may be a little "thin".

The good news about your system is that you can make upgrades on everything...the bad news is it'll cost you.

My personal feeling is try new mains...RF-35's, RF-3's...something like that. Then down the road, try a new receiver if your happy with the receiver you have.

Welcome to the forum. Here is my suggestion:

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/ONKTXSR705/Onkyo/TX-SR705-THX-100w-x-7ch-Theater-Receiver-BLACK/1.html

http://emotiva.com/xpa3.shtm

Both of these for about $800.00. The Onkyo has pre-outs for the external amp. Use the Emotiva(3-channel @200w) to drive your left,center,and right speakers and the Onkyo amps(100w) to drive your surrounds. The Onkyo has 3 HDMI ins and 1 HDMI out and decodes all of the new audio formats. Both the Emotiva and the Onkyo come with factory warranties.

Bill

UPDATE !! I read a lot of the info on biwiring on this site and elseware. My center and fronts are biwireable. I decided to try it. Two days ago I biwired them. More detail, better low end, improved clarity. A cheap improvement in sound. Worked for me !!

• Like 1

My 2 cents worth- look for recently discontinued/upgraded models- buy the old one for half of a new one. All of the brands listed are good. I also like Sony as long as you stay with the ES series.Also look for authorized dealers going out of business. make sure that you get plenty of HDMI inputs and pre amp out jacks to upgrade to separates later on. For 1k you should be able to get a really kick @ss receiver in todays buyer's market. I would agree with the R F 3 comment. I am running an 2001 set of RF3s until I can find some RF 83s to complete my HT system at a deal. My other stuff is several notches above the Rf3s but they do a fine job of keeping up with the other stuff. The better cond rf 3s that I have seen are in the 400-450 range(pair) but they are better than many speakers that cost several times more. I have several people interested in mine when I get ready to sell them.The last set I saw on e-bay brought 450.00. You may want to take the speaker upgrade advice and wait on the receiver. To answer your question- Yes your system will definitely sound better with more power-clean power. The 130 watt Onkyo would be a nice upgrade. I know several people running then with absoultely no regrets or complaints.Personally, I think you need a min of 100 WPC to run any mid level Klipsch reference system.

Onkyo is alright for sound, but I heard from several sources that the upconversion feature on these receivers are not up to par with say Denon. Last I checked, the Denon 2808ci is on sale at BB for $599.99 on sale from $999.99. This is an outstanding deal.

[Y] That is a DEAL!