Budget Tweeter

kg4guy

Genuine Motorola/CTS piezos sound great (with a proper crossover).

Like what balled up wire and a few electrolytics? I will stick with my JBL's. These piezos have been used for years in low buck pro gear, and are not well suited for home use.

And that low buck pro gear didn't use proper crossovers... I think Dennis has that covered.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest David H

Genuine Motorola/CTS piezos sound great (with a proper crossover).

Like what balled up wire and a few electrolytics? I will stick with my JBL's. These piezos have been used for years in low buck pro gear, and are not well suited for home use.

Johnny 5, don't get involved here, it's all opinion based and a no win situation. I'm out.

that graph I presented for KSN1016 isn't just an opinion.... unfortunately I've not felt well enough to put a measuring rig back in place to do it better and record spl at 2.83vrms (IIRC that was ~103dB at 5KHz sine wave 1M) - for Klipsch style (Khorn/La Scala)application it could use a better worked out highpass than the 1uF I presented to the 100uH/8R Zoebel - seems like the little piezo peak around 5K and its nasty if not worked out - whether this is worthwhile compared to APT50 on a small lens = up to the experimenter - -maybe DJK will elaborate (?)

Fred, all these yahoos have decided it can't sound good, so what's the point?

Doesn't matter if it's politics, religion, or hi-fi; if the person has an opinion, find out what it is. If it's negative, wish them a nice day, and move on. If it's positive, preach to the choir a bit and move on. If they have no opinion, present them with the evidence (frequency response graphs, shots of tone bursts, etc), let them listen and evaluate, and then let them come to their own conclusion.

I have graphs of the Motorola KSN 1016A showing a response that is ±1dB from 4Khz~20Khz (it's actually +1dB at 20Khz), much flatter than a JBL 2405 (of which I always keep a pair on hand for reference purposes). I have spare NOS tweeters for my own use, and replacements for the large number of local customers that I replaced their K77s in their Klipsch speakers. I also have replacements for the Dahlquist DQ10 tweeter, although it is a different NOS Motorola that is better (and I recommend a better network than the DQ10 used).

Main Entry: 1prej·u·dice
Pronunciation: \'pre-j?-d?s\
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Latin praejudicium previous judgment, damage, from prae- + judicium judgment — more at judicial
Date: 13th century

2 a (1) : preconceived judgment or opinion (2) : an adverse opinion or leaning formed without just grounds or before sufficient knowledge

Main Entry: big·ot
Pronunciation: \'bi-g?t\
Etymology: French, hypocrite, bigot
Date: 1660

: a person obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices;

Please select any that apply, please ignore if none apply.

Doesn't matter if it's politics, religion, or hi-fi; if the person has an opinion, find out what it is. If it's negative, wish them a nice day, and move on. If it's positive, preach to the choir a bit and move on. If they have no opinion, present them with the evidence (frequency response graphs, shots of tone bursts, etc), let them listen and evaluate, and then let them come to their own conclusion.

Then if they disagree with you tell them their opinion is worthless and call them prejudice bigots.

Nice work - you are a real class act.

"Then if they disagree with you tell them their opinion is worthless and call them prejudice bigots. "

You haved proved yourself to be in that catagory by putting words into my mouth.

Did you just identify yourself?

"Please select any that apply, please ignore if none apply."

The nature of my last post was to bring a certain kind of person out of the woodwork.

Are you that type of person?

Lest anyone acuse me of plagiarism, I paraphrased Robert Heinlein from:

71N63AZ2BJL._SS500_.gif

When I said:

" if the person has an opinion, find out what it is. If it's negative, wish them a nice day, and move on. If it's positive, preach to the choir a bit and move on. If they have no opinion, present them with the evidence and then let them come to their own conclusion."

Take Back Your Government!: A Practical Handbook for the Private Citizen Who Wants Democracy to Work was an early work by Robert A. Heinlein. It was published in 1992 after his death in 1988.

Originally entitled How to Be a Politician, the book was written in 1946 but never found a publisher, perhaps due to excess candor. Like so many of Heinlein's works, he wrote what he knew. In this case, he based the work on his experience in California politics in the 1930s, particularly his efforts on behalf of Upton Sinclair's End Poverty in California (EPIC) movement and Sinclair's attempt to become the Democratic nominee for governor of California in 1934.

Fred, all these yahoos have decided it can't sound good, so what's the point?

Sorry, I forgot Yahoo's. The fact of the matter is you can't accept the fact that someone disagrees with your opinion. Quit hiding behind a dictionary and the writing of others.

Freedom of the press, is the freedom of communication and expression through vehicles including various electronic media and published materials. While such freedom mostly implies the absence of interference from an overreaching state, its preservation may be sought through constitutional or other legal protections.

With respect to governmental information, any government may distinguish which materials are public or protected from disclosure to the public based on classification of information as sensitive, classified or secret and being otherwise protected from disclosure due to relevance of the information to protecting the national interest. Many governments are also subject to sunshine laws or freedom of information legislation that are used to define the ambit of national interest.

Freedom of speech is the freedom to speak without censorship and/or limitation. The synonymous term freedom of expression is sometimes used to indicate not only freedom of verbal speech but any act of seeking, receiving and imparting information or ideas, regardless of the medium used. In practice, the right to freedom of speech is not absolute in any country and the right is commonly subject to limitations, such as on "hate speech".

The right to freedom of speech is recognized as a human right under Article 19 of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights and recognized in international human rights law in the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights (ICCPR). The ICCPR recognizes the right to freedom of speech as "the right to hold opinions without interference. Everyone shall have the right to freedom of expression".[1][2] Furthermore freedom of speech is recognized in European, inter-American and African regional human rights law.

It is different from and not to be confused with the concept of freedom of thought.

Look, I can do it too.

Main Entry: 1snor·kel
Pronunciation: \'sno?r-k?l\
Etymology: German Schnorchel
Date: 1944

1 : a tube housing air intake2_bing.gif and exhaust pipes for a submarine's diesel engine that can be extended above the water's surface so that the engines can be operated while the submarine is submerged
2 : any of various devices (as for an underwater swimmer) resembling a snorkel in function

post-32986-1381952701273_thumb.jpg

• 2 years later...

KG4 and Gothover,

What do you think of this tweeter after all these years? I just bought La Scalas that will work better in a room in my house, so I now have an extra set of K Horns. I have JBL 2470's and Butt Cheek tweeters that I can use with the La Scalas.

I want to use the K55's and tweeters from the La Scalas or the K Horns but the tweeters are blown. I figure that I can cross the K55's lower to ease their load. This tweeter looks interesting. The K Horns will be put in a shop so I am trying to put this together for really good music, but not critical listeing.

What parts did you guys settle on and is this a good combo?

I could just rebuild the K77's but I like the idea of crossing over at about 4500.

EDIT:

OK I found this, the ATP 50 with the adapter attached: http://www.speakerrepair.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=04-220

They also have it with this horn: http://www.speakerrepair.com/page/product/hfhorns/07-102.html

So the questins are:

Is this a good tweeter for the K Horn (better than the K77)?

What lens should be used with this tweeter?

Did the K94K work out well?

tigerwoodKhorns,

Using the CT125 as a K77 drop in replacement along with balancing network modded to cross at 4500 hz is the cat's a$$. At the time I first tried them was using a Beyma tweeter sitting on top of my Khorns. Also had to use a Klappenberger rig to turn down the Beyma volume in order to blend properly on a Khorn. The Beyma was just too hot on it's own. Anyway, when I dropped in the CT125 I sold the Beymas and never looked back. To my ears, the sound is that good running circles around the K77 and a perfect complement to Klipsch Heritage.

Guest David H

Making this budget tweeter was fun, and worked well. The only issue I have with it is the plastic is rather flimsy.

My suggestion is to get a set of bobs tweeters.

Dave