Cabling help - I've gone brain dead. :-(

Tom Adams

I don't know what's going on that I can't figure this out. Maybe it's like that dam math word problem that you read over & over and can't solve and some one comes up, reads it, explains it you, and you slap yourself in the forehead for being so dumb. Anyhow.........

In my garage/workshop I plan to have a simple system composed of a receiver, DVD player, TV, and a pair of Heresys. Now, I haven't gotten so stoopid that I don't know how to hook-up the speakers or the DVD player - it's the TV to receiver that's causing my brain cramp.

I'll have a HDMI cable from DVD to receiver and plan to have a HDMI cable from the receiver to the TV. Is that all I need to have TV audio playback through the Hereys if the TV is on and I'm watching cable/SAT/OTA broadcast or will I need an audio cable from TV to receiver??

Thanks.

I'm going to go take some aspirin........

Tom

• Moderators

I think you will need a L & R audio from your cable/sat box to the receiver, if the cable box doesn't have that connection you could go from your TV to your receiver with the audio L & R .

Your HDMI will get the sound to the receiver from the DVD and out to the TV but you don't have any sound to the receiver from the cable/sat without the L & R from cable/sat box.

I'll have a HDMI cable from DVD to receiver and plan to have a HDMI cable from the receiver to the TV. Is that all I need to have TV audio playback through the Hereys if the TV is on and I'm watching cable/SAT/OTA broadcast or will I need an audio cable from TV to receiver??

Thanks.

I'm going to go take some aspirin........

Tom

pretty much you just need the hdmi, unless its hdmi 1.0 or so which did not support audio. At worst, just get out the red and white rca cables to hook it up.

• Moderators

pretty much you just need the hdmi, unless its hdmi 1.0 or so which did not support audio. At worst, just get out the red and white rca cables to hook it up.

He has no signal from the cable/sat box, just from DVD and out to TV.

hmm this gets complex with different tvs and such. On my tv there is a digital out which allows for 5.1 when available which uses a optical out to my reciever. I do not know much with cable and sat boxes as my parents never got one and in college its built into the system so all i have to do is put the coaxial into my tv. My method always has been tv out to reciever for my needs. hope that helps

What Jay said. Theoretically.... I have an Onkyo AVR; it has several HDMI inputs. One HDMI is assigned to the sat box (DTV), and the other is assigned to the DVD. The output HDMI is sent to the TV. So when I switch the AVR to "cable/sat" I get picture and sound; same when I set the AVR to DVD. Not all AVR's have the HDMI input that "passes" sound as Jay said. Mostly earlier ones with HDMI version 1.0. In that case you would use the RCA jacks on the back of the cable/sat box and plug them into the RCA inputs on the back of the receiver marked "cable/sat".

Now that you are thoroughly confused....... a message from our Subliminal Sponsors....

"take your aspirin.... It will be ok.... Just wait until someone comes to visit who knows what to do..."[;)]

I'm just using the RCA outputs on the TV, connected to the DTV/CBL inputs on the receiver with a regular RCA interconnect. Sounds fine.

The digital coax cable from the DVD player goes directly to the receiver, so I can only get movie sound from the stereo, not from the TV speakers, but that's okay with me.

No HDMI with my older system.

I've got to throw in a dumb question because I don't see where it's been asked or stated. Maybe it was, and I missed it but.............. Is the satellite box output fed to the TV or receiver? It can work either way but will be hooked up differently. For example, I feed over the air HD from my antenna to my TV for picture, and from the TV to the receiver for sound. My cable, on the other hand, goes from my cable box to the receiver (for sound) and it routs the picture to the TV.

Seems simple to me . Since your just using a pair of Heresys your not going for surround output . I would run the dvd player to the reciever and the cable/sat box to the tv and audio out from tv to reciever . This way you won't have to fire the system up just to watch the news etc... Any cable box I have had this century has had optical and digital coax out and that is what I would run to the reciever instead of the tv's audio out . Either way you will get sound from the tv whether the reciever is on or not .

HA! Enough responses and follow-on questions make me think I'm not so brain-dead after all!

OK - I slept on this last night and had the following revelations:

- Because the workshop is so far from the house, there will be no cable/SAT feed from the house and because I'm a cheap SOB, I won't install a SAT just on the workshop.

- The TV will either display video from the DVD player or the local OTA channels via an antenna of some sort.

So......I'm thinking that what I need is an HDMI cable from the receiver to the TV and an RCA stereo pair cable from the TV audio out to the receiver audio in. And that should do it.

Which now brings up the question of whether I can run a stereo pair 35+ feet without an issue. Hmmmmm........

Tom

• Moderators

Which now brings up the question of whether I can run a stereo pair 35+ feet without an issue. Hmmmmm........

Should not be a problem, the vocals may sound a little out of breath that's all. [:o]