DOES AN UP-SAMPLED CD SOUND BETTER?

russ69

I just bought a new DVD player for my second system. It can upsample to 480i,480p,720p,1080i and 1080p. I can't really say I hear (or see) a difference between the different settings with my 2 channel setup. Anybody notice much difference?

Thanx, Russ

More: Reading the manual it looks like this only works through the HDMI cable, which I'm not using at this time (only one input and the sat box is using it). It also has LPCM rate settings of 48K,96K AND 192K, again I think they only work when you are feeding to a HDMI input on a reciever. I haven't owned a reciever since about 1974 so I guess this stuff is wasted on me and my basic rig.

Russ:

I have an Ah! 4000 tubed cd player with the optional upsampling board....

While the cd player sounds far better than any other that I have owned, I have tried to "a/b" with and without the board...but it takes me about 20 min to switch out the boards, so I may be fooling myself as 20 min is a lot of time .......anyway on most recordings I have tried I do see a small difference.Seems more detailed and smoother all around.

I't not the OMG!!!! difference I experienced on my analog set up going from a Dynavector to a Lyra Cart....that blew my mind from the first needle drop!!!!!

Hope this helps

Upconverting=Video

Upsampling=Audio

Looks to me like your new DVD player will upconvert a standard signal all the way to 1080p if your TV can handle it, but you need a HDMI switchbox such as the one oppodigital.com sells for not much coin, also appears it will upsample the audio up to 192k and you should be ok with this using the RCA outputs on the DVD player, but

you need to set the audio output on the machine to two channel if sending the signal to an older stereo reciever.

Like others here, I too purchased an Ah! Joeb 4000 CD player (not a DVD player) with the Upsampler option. I owned the player for 2 weeks w/o the upsampler. Then when more became available they shipped mine. In response to your questions...YES, I most definitely hear a difference. Increased detail or dynamics was immediately evident..... I can't remember what the sampling rate is though.