Nice Cornbreadwalls on AudiogoN...

Deang

cwm13.gif

CornBreadWallz are mighty fine speakers,while they will never win any looks contest and are not the most refined Dynaudio Evidence type speakers we solid state junkies prefer,the Cornwall is a fine speaker.

With the right power amp,like a tube Cary for example it shines.And I tell you it really makes you wonder if the fat brutish boxes can produce this exquisite sound.

Yes they can

The Cornwalls are great speakers.

Or Cornbreadwallz like I call them,the Promedia line was renamed LoudMedia by me also! Klipsch should hire me. NOT

Its I am just not a fan of delicate tube amps,I do love tube preamps and recomend AudioResearch and CJ tube preamps to any SS amp owner.

If an amp cant double as an arc welder in the GE submarine yard its not good for me.So far Krell makes the meanest and baddest musical arc welders around.

And I like them Smile.gif

www.krellonline.com

Check their new lineup of speakers!Very impressive but may be a wee bit overpriced in my view.I like their MRA monoblock and the MRS sub is one moghty super Sunfire monster.

TheEAR(s) Now theears

The guts on that KAV-280 cd player are pretty chunkified.

These guys like those Big 'Ol Toriod Transformers.

Can't feel the heat without a good overkill power supply.

I noticed you can't see the guts of the Class A stuff.

What kind of drivers you think they use in their speakers, Theears?

THANX!

Mike,

The Krell LAT speakers use custom ScanSpeak drivers(mid bass and woofers).I am quite sure of this.

The Krell Master Reference Sub(or MRS)uses some overkill drievrs(over 80lbs per driver,was I told by a Krell MRS owner,over 80lbs per driver!!cwm3.gif ).

The LAT speakers are a thing of beauty,they feel as solid as blocks of steel!Resonance is almost elimnated,but the price will scare 99% of buyers away. Frown.gif

The Krell FPB series amps(well the FPB600) features two giant torroids(by looking at them I will say 3-4KVA per torroid)and multiple mid sized caps,the old Krell KSA and KAS used bif fat cans(two or four).

I like Dan Dagostino way of amp design,the amp must be capable of driving any load(well down to 1 ohm)and double its output.This shows how good his PSU and output stage are,great design.And the Krell amps are dead silent,S/N ratio is damn good.

All in all well designed amp,over built Krell style.

TheEAR(s) Now theears

They sure are some Monster Torroids.

I wonder if they source those transformers in Europe,

or if they are made in North America.

I kind of thought the speakers were Scan Speaks, just had a hunch, I guess.

I think you getting just as much of a speaker with the Dynaudio's for a lot less, Am I correct?

Feel the Electromagnetic Force, Brother!

You should go for a Vintage Analog System, then you would have the HT system, the SS reference system, and a Vintage Analog system with a Turntable.

You would be set for life.

A system for every mood.

THANX!

This message has been edited by mike stehr on 02-11-2002 at 01:02 AM

TBrennan,

The word respect has many definitions. It sounds like you're hung up on the "reverence" track. Respect also may be defined as appreciation, esteem. Appreciation and esteem for excellent industrial produt design is not a new concept. In fact, they have awards for such. So if you've got a thirty year old Whirlpool or Vegi-matic that is as competent as it's modern counterpart, and still in demand thirty years later, they may qualify. Though I may not challenge you on audio techinical subjects, I know the english language very well.

Klipsch out.

PS. In case you can't tell, this is a humble apology for the vague usage of the word "respect".

This message has been edited by jazman on 02-11-2002 at 02:11 PM

mdeneen,

"specially good for all those 1-ohm speakers on the market these days!"

Yes yes!You are right,the 1 Ohm speakers. LOL

I know you like fragile,microwatt amps with 10% THD and bottled sounds that glow like a firefly.Its your taste.Yes the small tube wonders are more delicate,more airy.I can enjoy this too you know.

I prefer my amp solid,heavy and able to drive a thick maconry nail and make it turn red! LOL I love BRUTAL amps,as brutal as possible and match them with brutal speakers like large Klipsch to get BRUTAL in your face,knock you down,wake the dead sound.Its TheEAR's way to enjoy techno and heavy metal.Man I am not into delicate chamber music.As you must know by now.

Why do you think I matched RF-7's with an ATI 2505? To get the ultimate brutal experience. LOL Let the high sizzle,oh yeah pump up the agressive. Smile.gif

Go brutal go

TheEAR(s) Now theears

Now I kinda Hunched you were into to Techno, but Metal?

Now I understand, Slayer requires many watts, so does 'OLD'Metallica,SOD,Venom,Testament,Exodus,Savatage,Sepultura,Overkill,Misfits?,Megadeth,CannibalCorpse,TypeO,Pantera,Death,CelticFrost,Fates Warning,OLD,Budgie,King Diamond and Mercyful Fate,Anthrax,Acid Bath,And whatever else that'll get your hair movin'.

What kind of Heavy Metal genre are you refering to, Theears?

The term kinda stretches wide.

THANX!

The bass and low end impact is more defined and solid via my 3.5w 2A3 Monoblocks (w/very serious transformers and power supply) then:

1. 14w EICO HF-81

2. 30W ASUSA EL-34 Ultralinear PP (choke input)

3. 25w Monarchy Audio SM-70 Solid State Class A Amp

4. 50w Jolida JD302B PP Ultralinear Integrated

5. And more refined than the 250w Bryston 4B-ST

This is through the 98dB Cornwall I with Alnico. How long will it talke to break the watts myth

kh

------------------

Phono Linn LP-12 Vahalla / Linn Basic Plus / Sumiko Blue Point

CD Player Rega Planet

Preamp Cary Audio SLP-70 w/Phono Modified

Amplifier Welborne Labs 2A3 Moondog Monoblocks

Cable DIYCable Superlative / Twisted Cross Connect

Speaker 1977 Klipsch Cornwall I w/Alnico & Type B Crossover

system one online / alternate components / Asylum Listing f>s>

Many years ago I had LaScalas and a Dynaco 400 (200 wpc), when listening to Thin Lizzey, AC-DC, Rush, Cactus, Budgie, Mountain, MC-5, Sir Lord Baltimore, The Stooges, UFO and such I'd run the Dyna balls-out, I'd have the clipping lamps going. Even 104db speakers need lots of power when doing hard-rock in a realistic manner, whether this is sensible or not not being the point. Ah, the good old days, when Heavy Metal music still had recognizable Blues and Rock and Roll roots. You know what, I think I'll listen to "Zoom Club" by Budgie right now.

Mobile Home,

"How long will it take to break the watts myth"

Yes how long will some snooty(in a good way) audiophiles realise tube amps are not the most practical. Wink.gif

The bottom line is the type of music I listen to needs the BIG wattage I have(well 10% of it)and a little tube job will not do.Sure the VTL Wotan will in spades

Remember I also have Dynaudio Contours,these need big power to play at realistic volumes.Anfd a big qulaity tube amp costs more per watt.

I agree that tube amps sound very full and you may prefer this sound signature.I want to hear it like it is no sugar coating.

TheEAR(s) Now theears

This message was edited by TheEAR to sound less harsh to Mobile and tube pals. Wink.gif

This message has been edited by TheEAR on 02-12-2002 at 10:37 PM

I threw on 'Never turn your back on a freind'

by Budgie.

These guys are Hard and Heavy for the time frame.

Of course, Metallica Ripped-Off these guys.

Excellent Taste in the Ole Heavies, TOM!

I think Theears just told ya to put up yer dukes,

Mobile.

This message has been edited by mike stehr on 02-12-2002 at 10:08 PM

You know, you all are right. Without 200w, these horns can sound anemic. Threadbare. And baby, they do need solid state WATTS! Rightto, John. Not floppy bass tubes for polite audiophilistines.

And to think that Tom's 200w Dynaco 400 was clipping right and left with his 104dB LaScalas. Man....that is POWER baby. Was that with the DYNAGUARD going?

Yeah, well... Selah.

Why argue?

kh

This message has been edited by mobile homeless on 02-12-2002 at 10:54 PM

Quite simply and to the point, John, What Stereo Review article did you get this interpretation from? I still remember your quote of one of Julian Hirsch's 1983 articles as perhaps the nadir of your contribution to the legacy of the JW parts is parts drive.

Favorite John Warren Quote:

"In all honesty-I have no patience for "subtlety (sp?)".

I attend symphonies, I've listened to the biggest pipe organs in

the world, both here in USA and abroad. I know EXACTLY

what makes musical reproduction fun for me and it definetly

IS NOT fancy cables or hot-rodded crossover networks. Like aircraft engines,

it comes down to moving air and for me, the more the better." f>

It is a wonder you have little appreciation or "patience for subtlety". It involves a level of discernment that evidently remains elusive.

The more air moved, the better. Indeed. At least we know where you stand. It's just I don't know if standing or sitting would be discernable difference with you.

kh

ps - Mr. Warren edited his post above while I was responding with this one, thus, it might not seem to follow. I'll think I'll let this one stand. Let's just say he had some "data" there along with a Julian Hirsch take on amplification.

This message has been edited by mobile homeless on 02-13-2002 at 08:54 AM

I was guessing at sensitivity values for the CW, I'd prefer to get them from someone who has actually measured them to an accepted standard. So, it was easier to frame the post in the form of a question (sort of like Jeopardy).

Your 98 dB/W/m value ascribed to the CW is likely at or near frequencies above the CO point for the mid-range horn. For SET amp, you should be interested in LF sensitivity since Watts (with a capital W) are hard to come by in SET offerings AND the CW is a direct radiator with a marginally efficient woofer below 600Hz(or so).

The old post still reads well, even after all these months.

Well I live here in Austin and I could've had these for $700 months ago but passed on 'em. I actually posted about these asking if they were a good deal.

------------------

Outlaw 1050 A/V Receiver

Rega P3 Turntable

AMC CD8b CD Player

Toshiba 3108 DVD Player

Klipsch KG 4.2s(main)

2 Dynaco A-10/V IIs(centers)

Cerwin Vega E-706s(rears)

Cerwin Vega LW-12(sub)

Parasound PPH-100 Phono Preamp

Vampire Wire Digital Interconnects & Speaker Wire