My Bose Story...

Youthman

• Moderators

Tonight, our neighbor stopped by. We were talking and I mentioned that my projection screen was taking longer to get here than I expected but it should be in sometime this week. She asked if I was going to have a "surround sound" and I said yes, I already had it. "Oh, are they those Bose speakers?" After I picked myself up off the floor from laughing so hard, I invited her in for a demo. You know how a picture is worth a thousand words...the same is true for a good demo from the Kung Fu Panda (Tai Lung escapes scene). She kept saying, "Wow" during the demo.

It amazes me how many people I run into that still believe that hype. There is usually one common denominator....they know nothing about A/V. Seriously...most people that believe the hype have probably never even hooked up a receiver. You gotta give Bose props in that their marketing team has got their game on.

Ok, it's your turn. What's your best Bose story?

I had Bose, bought them about 15-20 yrs ago. I got them because they were so small and easy to hide unlike my current RF speakers. When I bought them they served their purpose. But Now 20yrs later I wanted better sound and quality that is why I came in here! When I was young the bose cost me about a grand for 5.1. Dont even ask about my current set up but it was more than a grand. You get what you pay for, back then a grand was a lot of money, heck who am I kidding it still is today, but you just buy less with it. I love my current set up now except I think I will upgrade my receiver so I can trigger my Emotiva amps and keep my 7.1. Thinking about Denon or pioneer elite any recommendations about brands or model numbers???

By the way I love the amps the sound has authority, crisp and good defenition. well worth the money. My speakers ROCK NOW!!!!!!!!!!!

My cousin came over a few months ago. Was talking about how his friend hd just bought a new Bose surround system and they where watching some movies. He said he was blown away. I was like how much was that? He said something like $2700. I was like, come into my little room, and let me show you $500 computer speakers from Klipsch. I have my Promedia Ultra's hooked up the then 27" LCD HDTV and a HD-DVD player in my little 8x10 room. I put on Transformers DVD and we watched the first 10 minutes or so. I was like, so what you think compared to your buddies Bose system? He was left spechless. A few weeks later we where talking and he was like yeah, you little system kicks some butt. I was like yeah, awesome bang for the buck, can't wait to upgrade. I showed hit the Heresy II setup connected to the Scott 299D amp, and was he loved that too.

I will say, Bose does do a great job of marketing, but every time I compare my stuff to someone's Bose....well, I haven't lost yet, be it headphones, stereo, iPod speakers, HT, or even the KHO-7's I have on the boat I get awesome feeback about. I have, and still use a pair of BOSE 141 speakers I got for cheap years ago in my garage, does the dirty work, and well are very dirty and dusty. My car has a Bose system in it...it is nice, but to me it sounds muddy and allmost unnatural compared to the Polk Audio 6X9's I had in my old car, those 6X9's kicked some butt.

I work with a guy with a bose system. All I know is he has 701's; and swears by them. Yesturday he had the audacity to tell me that his 701's will put out more bass than my system. I asked him if he had any subs, and he said no. I then asked him if he knew what my system consisted of, and he said it didn't matter; even with my subs that his 701's would easily outperform and out "bump" my system. I asked him if he was serious??? [*-)] And he was........ He even asked me if I wanted to come over after work to hear them. I told him I had more imortant things to do....... Like stated; most die hard fans of bose simply don't know anything about audio, and simply don't know any better...........

• Moderators

Cmon Tommy, be a sport. Go demo his, then it will open the door for you to demo yours. He's pretty cocky to say his system will outperform yours and he doesn't even know what you have. There is no "best" speaker. Not sure if that is arrogant or just ignorant. Serious though, go check them out, on the condition, that he comes over to check your system out. It would be a fun time.

Cmon Tommy, be a sport. Go demo his, then it will open the door for you to demo yours. He's pretty cocky to say his system will outperform yours and he doesn't even know what you have. There is no "best" speaker. Not sure if that is arrogant or just ignorant. Serious though, go check them out, on the condition, that he comes over to check your system out. It would be a fun time.

I agree with Youthman here. Atleast give his a shot to sucker him in to demo yours...then see if he still holds his opinion after he demos yours. It's the only way your going to change his mind.

I just might have to do this. I highly doubt he'll even come over though. I just told him I just may come over, and he said that he knows it will sound better because he just bought a PS3 for BD......... I didn't say anything about me having it too; so if he is willing to come over, i'll have the element of surprise. Then he started "bragging" about his 701's having such a "live" sound, and sooooo much bass that he has to turn it down on his receiver because he doesn't like all that bass. Once again, I didn't say anything, but I'm thinking no, you turn the bass down so they don't distort.

I've had this problem since I came in about 7 years ago. Bose is sort of a part of military life. It's in EVERY base exchange, and therefore, a lot of military members buy this crap, and swear it sounds good. I've had to hear about how good bose sounds for 7 years! I should get harardous duty pay for that! Even my mom has a pair of 701's. When she came down about 3 months ago, she said, wow, your speakers almost sound as good as mine. I left it alone, and told her that i'll "upgrade" to Bose someday..........

No good Bose stories come to mind, but I am always amazed that when the subject of Audio comes up with non-audiophiles, they almost always have the pre-conceived notion that Bose is the gold standard in speakers. They'll ask what I have, and they usually seem a little disappointed or let down to discover I don't own Bose. It's like they're thinking "Oh, I guess you must not be a real audiophile." Most folks have never heard of Klipsch.

• Moderators

I didn't say anything about me having it too; so if he is willing to come over, i'll have the element of surprise.

Just be careful...he might pull out all the stops and bust out the mighty Bose Wave Radio. That would surely trump your system! [^o)] Definitely let us know how it goes.

• Moderators

Great marketing strategy. I saw one of their commercials last night & almost ordered the system.Wink

You are just not right Arky, [:o] they are convincing aren't they, [;)] even old Paul Harvey tries to sell them on his radio show.

Although they can replace the conventional 5 speaker system with all the complicated wires with a desktop all in one model that " FILLS THE ROOM WITH SOUND" ........[+o(]

What is you got 5 of them and could start them at the same time, 5.0 mono! [:#]

I've had this problem since I came in about 7 years ago. Bose is sort of a part of military life. It's in EVERY base exchange, and therefore, a lot of military members buy this crap, and swear it sounds good. I've had to hear about how good bose sounds for 7 years! I should get harardous duty pay for that! Even my mom has a pair of 701's. When she came down about 3 months ago, she said, wow, your speakers almost sound as good as mine. I left it alone, and told her that i'll "upgrade" to Bose someday..........

Tell me about it! I was in the AF from 1996-2006 and you couldn't be more right; bose everywhere. The only exception was oversees where atleast they had a larger selection - Jamo, mirage, Kef and B&W at the spotlight AV store on base. The BX used to carry Klipsch, but they stopped in the late 90s. Once I wanted to get a part time job at the BX just to see if I could introduce people into the concept of "getting the most out of your money".

I agree 100%. I too have a buddy with Bose 701's and he also claimed to have more bass than my Klipsch KG 5.2's and KSW-300 subwoofer, he has heard my system which will knock the neighbors plates off of their shelves and their house is not attached to mine.

U571 will rattle your teeth and you feel it up the rear and into your chest during the depth charge sequence and he honestly thinks his Bose system hits harder and sounds better. So, I took another freind with 2 demo disks that have Jurrasic Park and U571 on them coded in DTS and another disc from Boston Acoustics and went from one house to the other, aside from both wives saying my system absolutely slaughtered the Bose system. My other buddy called him insane for thinking it was even a contest. The differences between these setups is pretty huge.

My buddy with the Bose simply responds "I was kidding"... ahhhh friends are fun. Now to be fair, his 701's don't sound that bad but their bass is a bit muddy for me, not as tight as the KG 5.2's and musically the Klipsch's dissapear into the room better, heck same in HT. I could remove the KSW-300 from the equation and the conest might have been closer but still an easy win for Klipsch.

I told him when I get the RF-83's I "might" sell him the KG 3.2's so he too can enjoy how it should be heard. :)