Prepare for the "Donnybrook in Seabrook!"

Mallette

It's time for the rematch between the contender Frazier Elevens and the unbeaten, untied Mighty Klipschorn. This time I have licked the hum that prevented using the the parallel output from my Super PAS4i preamp such that both systems were driven from the same source. This time, both will be driven by the same source, same preamp, and two ST-70 tube amps, both of which I believe are stock. Further, I am going to make it first come, first serve at what is played so everyone can bring thier own source material they are familiar with. Just keep it reasonably short during the comparison so everyone can get their time in. After that, it will be open season on anything you want to play on either system or equipment you want to hook up and share. The FM transmitter is working nicely so we'll have music all over the house as well as through the new (since last time) Frazer Patios at poolside.

Those staying the night can proceed at will to get drunk and drool, though please avoid the equipment.

The Galveston Bay oysters are SUPERB this year in spite of damage to the beds by Ike, and should still be good. I'll have a couple of gallons on ice.

I'm hoping to get this fixed early enough so that those who will need to stay the night(s) can plan and reserve early. Canyonman, Oldtimer, PM, that means you guys. I'll have three bedrooms available and other space if needed.

I've emailed Todd (SoundTowne) to find a date around the first of April that he can come down along with his ST-70. That will determine the "when."

Dave

PS - Didn't even get the post up before Todd responded:

Dave, Will do. I have a home show sometime around that date and also a product show in Dallas, so let me check. My memory is as long as my _____ is so you might want to drop me another email in a week or so. Good to hear from you. Don’t know if I told you, but I have located a set of KHorns and Belle an old guy has here. Going to check them out soon. Thanks, Todd

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What are Frazier Elevens like? I never heard of them before. Are they big old honkers? I mean horns Big SmileSmile

See the original "Battle of the Titans" thread from about 4 months back for a complete description. In short, no horns, but the Elevens are Jack Fraziers reply to the Klipschorn. Jack and Paul were the friendliest of rivals and PWK told me to my face that Jack Frazier was the only other designer he had full respect for. Placed in a corner, they are 1 db more efficient and extend one octave lower. There were only about a 100 pairs made and this pair is one of the last from 1983. They weigh in at 275 lbs. each and are the size of a small refrigerator.

This is going to be a LOT of fun.

Dave

PS - Sean: We just moved from the DFW mid cities (Flower Mound) 3.5 years ago so you'd have missed us anyway. You're certainly welcome to visit.

Yezzir. I blew it scientifically.

Of course, I can't do much about the rooms, but I'll leave it open to the listeners to move the Elevens as they see fit (and, considering the weight, as their physique allows) and since the amps will be the same and a single preamp will be driving both of them the results should be pretty reasonably objective.

That's why the rematch and a complete change of approach. In my case, I now prefer the Elevens for some things and have some theories as to why...though I don't want to taint the process at this point.

I'd say the mighty 'horns still have the advantage, especially since most of the attendees will be the "home" crowd, but sometimes the challenger surprises even on the oppositions home court.

In any event, it will be a lot of fun and the Kuiverin' Klipsch Klan is always diverse and greater than the sum of it's parts.

Dave

Hi Dave,

I am now working in Katy and staying in Brookshire during the week, so have been out of touch with the Forum and listening in general. No room for Heritage in the RV Sad Count me in for the rematch!

Rick

I've a pair of spare Monte Carlos I'd be happy to place on loan. They're about 10X12X18 and will run off a few watts just fine. AAMOF, I've a spare Super T amp you could run them with.

Dave

• Moderators

Dave,

I will try and be there if the offer is still open. As per usual, in my line of work the more notice the better. I look forward to hearing that Organ R2R tape on that set up and to talking to you more about LP to HD transfer associated with your development of a music server.

Travis

A splendid idea. I have a DBX NX-40 as well as 4BX if you have any encoded tapes. I have a Teac 2300X with the arm broken from the flywheel. This was soldered or adhered by some unknown means and I've never figured a good way to fix it short of drilling the capstan...which would require a machine shop to peform accurately and to thread. The TC-765 is in excellent condition except the holdback tension, which is electronically controlled, is maladjusted and I've not been able to figure out how to fix it.

Regards,
Dave

• 2 weeks later...

Todd (SoundTowne) says his mom is experiencing health issues and he really cannot commit at this time, but hopes to make it. That being the case, I am arbitrarily setting the date as Saturday, 28 March. Please let me know ASAP if you have a conflict and I'll try to change. I really don't have anything that far out so it will not be a problem, but I'd like to get it set in stone.

I MAY be able to borrow Todd's ST-70 as my brother is coming down in a couple of weeks from there. However, does anyone have anything they could bring that would be comparable? I'd really like to match the amps for the Elevens and 'horns as closely as possible.

Dave