Prepare for the "Donnybrook in Seabrook!"

Mallette

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gents, it appears there is a good chance that George Mims, recently retired MM of St. Martin's, Houston, whose CD set "Instruments of Thy Praise" sent me into rapture artistically as well as technically, will be present with his final solo organ CD.

I'll let you know if he confirms, but he is checking with his agent (the wife) on his schedule. You have no idea how excited I am about this possibility. This guy would have been an E. Power Biggs or Virgil Fox on steroids if that was what he sought. He composed, arranged, designed organs, and built one of the finest music programs on the planet without telling a soul. I've only had the privilege of a few hours with him, but I intend to be a groupie. Awesome musician and artist.

Dave

Gents, it appears there is a good chance that George Mims, recently retired MM of St. Martin's, Houston, whose CD set "Instruments of Thy Praise" sent me into rapture artistically as well as technically, will be present with his final solo organ CD.

Dave. That would be awesome!

I need to get that CD set some day but a bit out of my budget right now but sounds like a must have.

Dangit, Jeffers, that's disappointing. I guess having a job right now is a GOOD thing, though. Send down your HT system... [;)]

Alright, I'll hope your folks are not on schedule. However, for penence join the "Challenge" thread. With the qualities of your system and ears I'd expect some revelations.

To all, I am trying to get the maps together. I promise to have them in time to use!

Dave

If you get this close and can't find it, knock at that house on the corner and ask for directions.

Dang, Dave. Looks like a scene from "On The Beach". ;-)

No can make it. Sorry I missed this thread earlier. Oughta stray from my forum-ghetto more often.

It probably did not come through how excited I am that George is coming. Now I gotta find a way to hide my Wurlitzer D-170. [:$]

Oh, he'll be good with it...probably won't get near it, but he'll be good with it.

He says the organ recital disk is pre-release, so it's a preview.

Bear in mind if you want to meet him he is coming early, around 1. Don't know how long he will stay, but I'll consider slashing his tires.

Dave

Correct, Bruce. In fact, I am in Tulsa this morning for an intense week finalizing a contract for a Learning Management System for my company. However, in short, the party was small but the very best. I spent 9 straight hours listening to music in perhaps the most focused manner I can recall. The last were spent with TubesnHorns (Rick Rigler) and I was introduced to one after the other of things I've missed or overlooked.

However, with all due respect to fellow audiophile Rick and I am sure he will understand, it was the first 5 plus spent with Dr. George Ellis Mims and his friend Taft that were pretty close to life changing.

We don't get into these things here, but let me say obliquely that I believe there is more than luck involved in my meeting this man. I've come to believe that it is only his almost total lack of self centeredness that has prevented his being known in the same phrase (at least) with E. Power Biggs and Virgil Fox. His lifetime achievements in composition, arrangment, conducting, organ design, and performance are monumental. Lest I fail to mention it, his CD set I extolled on earlier here "Instruments of Thy Praise" will be featured for two full hourse on Richard Gladwell's "With Heart and Voice" on NPR April 19th. Told you it was good.

Anyway, we auditioned his upcoming retirement magnum opus recital CD and it's all George...ranging from his arrangement of "The Mission" to "Agincourt Hymn" and everything (except the Widor [:P]) in between. What I learned (without his having to tell me) was that the Schoenstein he designed for that magnificent space at St. Martins is, in my opinion, the greatest instrument of modern times, handilly excelling in range, color, timbre, and capibilities anything I ever dreamed of. From the audiophile side, let me tell my vinyl friends that this instrument simply could not be effectively released on vinyl unless it used the old DBX LP process. The double expression (one swell box inside another) when used to it's maximum allows this landmark organ a dynamic range I estimate to be at LEAST 70db.

The French horn stop sounds like a french horn. Really. The French oboe sounds like, ok, you know. And what George called "a rather large flute" is disconcerting as you can't help but want to see who has lips that big.

No more time, got to get to the office.

Big success? The biggest.

Yes, George and Taft did the "Challenge" and he says he will either post here or send me his thoughts. I will wait as I'd prefer you hear "from the horse" as opposed to the stable boy. However, I will leak that he suggested that "the Klipschorn room sounded more like the church, but the Elevens sounded more like the organ." Figure that out...

I learned that his wife, Leslie, studied piano for 4 years at Juilliard and competed in the Van Cliburn. He also tickled my Wurlitzer D-170 slightly. I introduced him to it fearing he might find it and go "Oh my God, I'm leaving..." He didn't. He found the few stops he sampled "pleasant enough." What a relief.

More later.

Dave

Hey, no problem Dave. I understand your passion so I don’t mind being the afterthought to your most enjoyable afternoon. I think we had a great visit just chilling and chatting and listen to some new tunes.

I will not comment on the shootout; last time I was pre-occupied with the chef duties and this time I really just wanted to listen to music. I have always had a longing passion for Khorns and have not been exposed to them before meeting you. Once I get that out of my system maybe I can really listen to the Fraziers. Hope you understand.

Rick