La scalla II Xovers

jcmusic

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Al, uses VSWR measurements and optimizes his crossovers based on those models. Just because you have a good VSWR does not guarantee you will get a good sounding crossover. personally I do not care about the VSWR, just the final result. the La Scala II sounds great, tell your buddy to live with them, or move on, they are not a basshead speaker.

Newest LaScala IIs would have the AL-5 networks. Bob

Bob you are the first one to mention AL-5's. Now can you comment on them a little for me? Are they in any way like the ALK Universal's? What would be the differences in sound if you were to swap the two different designs in the LS II's?

Jay

The AL-5 is almost the same as the AL-4, just like the AK-5 is almost the same as the AK-4. The AL-5 has one less resistor in the tweeter circuit which means that the tweeter output is decreased somewhat compared to the AL-4. Just a guess, but perhaps that had to do with response from the new K-77F horn shown below.

I would echo what someone else has already said about the difference between the ALK crossovers in comparison to the newest crossovers from Klipsch. ALK attempts to have his outputs to drivers "sum flat" assuming that the drivers produce a flat audio response. The Klipsch designs use measured acoustic output from the speaker as a whole and use passive EQ "tweaks" to achieve a "flatter" acoustic output. Beyond that, I think actual listening tests may have influenced the final network designs.

Bob

post-9312-13819437838426_thumb.jpg

" I'd assumed the AK-5 was for for the enclosed back of the 60th's"

I have a pair of 60's and I asked Roy if the crossovers in them were AK-5's and he said they were AK-4's.

The only thing different about the xovers in the 60's that I can see is that the xover is a two piece system. There is a top crossover section and a bottom crossover section.

I have a seperate set of one piece AK-4's and a single AL-4 and the two look quire different. The xovers in my 60's look different from both the AK-4's and AL-4's I have.

One HUGE difference between Klipsch factory networks and anyone else's is that Klipsch has EQ in the network. It is a true balancing network, not just a filter. ALK networks have no EQ and are filters only, plus have constant impedance which Klipsch does not.

That is why you see the rough response of the Klipsch AL-4 networks on Al's site. That's exactly how they are supposed to look so that the sound coming out the horn is approximately flat. They are not supposed to look smooth like the response of Al's networks. This was the Klipsch design intention

If you remove an AL-4 and connect an ALK it stands to reason that are going to hear a big difference in sound.

I was hoping someone would include this before I got to the end of the thread. Klipsch had to do a bit of EQ to account for the stiffer bins on the LSII. I have Al's universals in my 84 LS, but I would not consider it in the LS II you'll loose bass performance and Klipsch also EQ'ed the tweeter in the LS II which is really what caught my ear when I heard them in Hope and Indy. I love my LS and would not trade them for any of the Heritage line except for the new LS II. I agree with Kaiser the new LS II is the hands down best improved of the Heritage line bar none IMO.

SpeakerFritz...as I recall from a Pilgrimage just before the 60th Anniversary models came out (and just after I purchased the upgrade kit netting me the AK-4s) that they would contain AK-5s and the difference was very minor...what Bob Crites added is about how I remember it when I asked what was "better" about the AK-5s over the AK-4s I had just purchased...

Bill

The AK-5 change compared to the AK-4 is in the woofer circuit.  Very small change.  One resistor removed.

Bob

Interesting...there's a resistor in series with the zobel network in the woofer circut.......so jumper wire that and you have an AK-5 or an AL-5

On the other hand....there's a few folks that posted that the resistor removed was in the tweeter circut....

Maybe they just ran out of resistors and will put it back in the AK-6

The AK-5 change compared to the AK-4 is in the woofer circuit. Very small change. One resistor removed.

Bob

Interesting...there's a resistor in series with the zobel network in the woofer circut.......so jumper wire that and you have an AK-5 or an AL-5

On the other hand....there's a few folks that posted that the resistor removed was in the tweeter circut....

Maybe they just ran out of resistors and will put it back in the AK-6

If you have one resistor in the woofer circuit, you have the AK-5. Two resistors in the woofer circuit, an AK-4.

Bob

"If you have one resistor in the woofer circuit, you have the AK-5. Two resistors in the woofer circuit, an AK-4."

OK, this is getting tricky.

The AK/AL-4 has two 6 ohm 25 watt resistors in parallel that run in series with a zobel network. electrically that is 3 ohms and 50 watts.

is the AK-5 one 6 ohm 25 watt resistor....one 3 ohm 50 watt resistor..or some other ohm other watt resistor.