jcmusic

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

" do they have the same issues the AA's have?"

I have a set of AL-4's and a set of AA's. What AA issues are you refering to?

The AL-4's have very steep slopes on the tweeter, steep slopes on the mid driver, zoble compensation on the woofer. The sound is totally different from AA's.

Here's the deal, a friend of mine bought a pair of LS II's and was reading about the xovers. He asked me to find out what I could about the xovers in his speakers. I told him about my expirence with AL's Universal's and to this day is still the most notable improvment in my system.

Jay

I have only heard the LaScala IIs at Klipsch Pilgrimages (twice) and at Simply Stereo in Hoffman Estates, Il but I thought they were great...I can understand the wanting more though...good luck...I remember recently someone had a pair of ALKs on audiogon...wonder if he could use them on his 'Scala IIs???

Bill

I agree 100% with Silversport. The La Scala II's have always sounded fabulous to me and others at Hope and Indy, so I would NOT replace the xovers on any basis but a direct comparison. Keep in mind that Stereophile's Sam Tellig thought so, too (with a quibble on the tweeters), and rated them highly in the equipment issues.

I've heard only one ALK Xover set, so can't compare, but do think Al tends to criticize what he didn't design and build. They do get high praise from users, however. I don't recall seeing a direct comparison between ALK and AK/AL/AB-4 xovers.

Obviously no change in the La Scala xovers, or woofer for that matter, is going change your buddy's wanting a sub for strong bass down below 55 Hz or so. The La Scala II's strengths are exceptional smoothness and coherency through out its entire range and exceptional blend between the 3 horns.

I'd like to see PYRO give us a comparison between the 60th Anniversary K-horns and La Scala II's.

Well Larry I don't know much about what AL critizes and what not, but I have seen scientific evidence to the fact that the AA's were flawed. Also I took the plunged and tried a pair of the ALK Universal's and have never looked back. The difference between the ALK's and the AA's was huge in my system, a night and day difference. I have no expirence with the other xovers you named, so I won't comment on them. I have heard my friends LS II's and thought they were great I don't know what type he has, all this came about last night at our monthly audio club meeting. I told him I would do some checking with you guys to find out what I could.

Jay

Jay, thanks for your comments (I edited and added to my post before I saw your last post). I haven't heard the Universals myself.

My understanding was that Klipsch went all out to redesign their xovers around 2002, after the K-horn tweeter and midrange drivers were discontinued by the manufacturer -- something like that. Replacements had to be searched out, and while they were at it, they decided to straighten out the renowned sway-back in the K-horn's bass horn response, along with dropping the upper xover point to 4500 Hz and I guess some other things. The result was the AK-4, a large and complicated xover with numerous caps, coils, and resistors. They developed similar, similar-looking xovers for the La S (AL-4) and Belle (AB-4), which is what your friend has now.

The "all-out" for the La Scala II included beefing up the side walls to 1" thickness, which made a big difference in how the bass and midrange sounds.

I don't doubt that Al, Roy and Paul are FAR more intelligent and brilliant than I but they don't always agree on what sounds best...nor do many of us...I happen to like the AK-4...I believe LarryC and IndyKlipschFan do as well...Al hates them...I also believe Roy is pretty proud of them...I always thought that's why we have Ford and Chevy...

Bill

I think the design of the AL-4 is superior over the ALK but I don't think the parts are as good. If I owned them I would upgrade the capacitors as opposed to buying a pair of ALKs.

People dumping old worn out networks always report an improvement regardless of what they move to. After doing head on comparisons in my Klipschorns with newly built networks, I found I preferred the sound of the Klipsch networks over the long haul.