Again on Jubilee...

john3419

Your comment about room size and Jubilees interests me. I can also see your point about having very large horns in a relatively small rooms. I think most manufacturers who make such large speaker recommend using them in appropriately large listening venues to properly exploit their abilities to portray both the macro and micro dynamics of music, throwing a realistic soundstaging and more importantly, allowing the widely spaced drivers to correct converge within the listening area. Failure to have the listening spot far enough back may result in perceived 'holes' in the response and an uneven response.

Over to you Mr. Caped Crusader's Sidekick...

Giovanni sounds like he has thought it through. I probably have a better shot at hearing his speakers in Italy than I do hearing them in a theater here in the United States.

Adequate room size is one of those things that should be so obvious that it wouldn't need to be mentioned. I mentioned it just in case Giovanni got the wrong impression in other discussions that they are good speakers to sit 6 feet away from.

if the Klipsch company is proud of their Jubilee speaker then they can bloody well list where I can hear one. If they have sold them to only one theater and it is in California I am not going to travel across the country to hear them you are right. Would I travel an hour probably yes it could be arranged.

If you went to a cinema that DID have them, they'd be the 3-way version and not the 2-way version as we're all using them so why would you want to go listen to something that we're talking about and not listen to that which we are USING?

You'd simply find more to complain about.

• Moderators

Adequate room size is one of those things that should be so obvious that it wouldn't need to be mentioned. I mentioned it just in case Giovanni got the wrong impression in other discussions that they are good speakers to sit 6 feet away from.

I never said 6 feet away, if your room is that small you should look at a smaller speaker anyway but you don't need a room any bigger than what you would need for Cornwall or Khorns.

And it's NOT " so obvious that it wouldn't need be mentioned " I would have thought that also but it's not the case.

Ask DrWho if you trust him, it how a larger horn controls the the pattern of how the horn directs sound into the room better than a small horn. Ask and find out, their are many here who can explain it better than me, that's for sure.

It's been mentioned more than once that, surprisingly, Jubilees can sound very good even in what appear to be small rooms. Those big 402 horns control the sound very well, reducing the influence of the room to a certain degree.

As for the 3-way Jubilee, it's meant for large auditorium applications where much higher volume is needed than in the typical livingroom. Accordingly, listening to a 3-way Jubilee in a big cinema wouldn't really tell you how a 2-way Jubilee would sound in your home.

Giovanni sounds like he has thought it through. I probably have a better shot at hearing his speakers in Italy than I do hearing them in a theater here in the United States.

Interesting point. Robin wouldn't travel cross country to hear a pair of Jubilees in a theater (although listening in a theater is what he demands); nor would he cross state lines to hear them in someone's home, but he would evidently rather go to Italy to hear them in Giovanni's home...

Holy Troller, Batman!

• Like 1

I was informed that the 3-way version is NO COMPROMISE! The 2-way is a compromise to fit in a house room easier, not as tall.

For the record, I think you're more interested in trolling than honest discourse so with that said... Perhaps you could show us the thread where you were informed that the 3-way is no compromise and the 2-way is compromised to fit in a room easier by being shorter? Please...the challange is thrown!

I'll say this.

I'd suggest that both the 2-way Jubilee (regardless of HF horn) as well as the 3-way are BOTH designed as no compromise. The 2-way (again, regardless of HF horn since some don't like the 402, this isn't about the 402 per se')... so, the 2-way is optimized for home use taking into consideration the lack of raw output requirements and the 3-way version has its signal divided 3-ways is optimized so it can achieve a higher level of output that would possibly damage our setup. I can quite assure you though that I can make you leave the room before the speakers will blow. You really don't want to be around these things when they're playing with some real juice to them.

Maybe like putting a Cosworth engine into your Indy car and a Honda engine into your.... well.... Honda!

The Honda engine is better optimized for its use and woudln't work very well ripping around the Indy track and the Cosworth engine, while at home on the track at Indy, wouldn't be optimized for driving down to get a 12-pack of beer.

Why you are concerned about either one isn't very clear. Be it as it may... I can understand simple curiosity. I do think you are misguided a bit (or simply practicing trolling techniques) when you are so voiciferous about having someone find a cinema for you so you can hear a 3-way system that by all odds, would have another half dozen speakers in the same room to suppliment the total sonic experience. Virtually all of the Jubilee owners out there save one, have it as a 2-way and if you are honestly intrigued to hear them as they might sound in the home, then it simply makes more sense that you would want to hear them as setup, for home use.

Come to think of it.... since you have a pal in Florida I think you said? PM me on the side and we'll get you in touch with the guy in Florida that has the 3-way setup in HIS home!! I know he's had others over so, aside from not having asked him, I'd bet lunch that he'd welcome an audition.

Another gauntlet dropped.... you ever going to pick one up and follow through or you just going to continue to want someone to find a Cinema for you so you can hear something that no one has?

1st: All loudspeakers (Jubs and even cost no object designs) are a choice of compromises and surely no reasonable thinking person believes otherwise.

2nd: Any given loudspeaker, room, and listener is a unique system that is not repeatable anywhere else so how could we not expect differing opinions?

3rd: Don't feed the Trolls they have nothing to offer and are a waste of your time.

mike tn

I always chuckle quietly to myself when I see people call anyone who challenges their illogic a troll. It must be a lot easier than answering questions intelligently.

The 3-way Jubilee is NO COMPROMISE as a particular individual told me privately. The identity of this individual is not going to be revealed by me other than to say you might be a little surprised if you knew the identity!!!

It does sound to me like the MCM is more promising and less controversial by a long shot. I do not think the Jubilee warrants any more of my time.

and MCMs fit in normal-sized rooms and sound good in them! YesCoolStick out tongue

I guess that depends on how you define "normal." Is that for a room or an owner of the room and the speakers. LOL. I would say the people who do this are NOT normal, and I'm proud to be counted among those.

MWM stands for Magnificent Woofing Machine (well named). While it admittedly IS an odd duck in a home environmnet, it is perfectly workable in an otherwise useless area of my basement, which is H7x D6 x W13.3 feet. The 6-foot depth allows me to pull the folded 6-foot horn (MWM single bin 4 feet deep) out of the corner and put my VMPS subs back there for movies. Meanwhile all the other voice coils are aligned to each other to within 1/8th wave. With the addition of the amazing JBL 2360A horn, the mouth of my mid-tweeter is larger than the mouth of the midbass horn and almost as large as the woofer.............all in the interest of smoother response, Constant Directivity with tighter pattern control, which is what the Jubilee's 402 does very well in a small room. Throw in the Audyssey Dynamic EQ of my new Onkyo receiver and it beats any other setup I have had commercially or in the home for the last 40 years. Good transducers and good signal processing is where it's at, but you have to have the best hardware first.

It does sound to me like the MCM is more promising and less controversial by a long shot. I do not think the Jubilee warrants any more of my time.

They have been around in one form or another for 30 years plus, so they may be easier to find. Unlike the MWM's much simpler horn structure (easier to builld also), the Jubillee bass bin can't easily have phycical alignment with the mid-tweeter horn(s). Sure you can do it by shoving it into the room by about 4 feet, but at that point, it's bass response is just like a LaScala rather than a Khorn, so you either have to make false corners to go with it, or use a digital Xover with timedelays.

Some people do prefer passives. Also, the MWM bin has a rising bass response below 100 Hz. rather than a falling one like the rest of the bass horns. So, it more closely follows the ISO equal loudness curves. It's response drops drastically below 40 Hz., but that is all you need for the lowerst note of an upright acoustic, or electric bass on music.

The identity of this individual is not going to be revealed by me other than to say you might be a little surprised if you knew the identity!!!

Oh, surprise...

It does sound to me like the MCM is more promising

Having heard them side by side with the Jubilees, I'll agree 100%

I do not think the Jubilee warrants any more of my time.

One might hope...

I always chuckle quietly to myself when I see people call anyone who challenges their illogic a troll. It must be a lot easier than answering questions intelligently.

You have always seemed easily amused. [:)]

The 3-way Jubilee is NO COMPROMISE as a particular individual told me privately. The identity of this individual is not going to be revealed by me other than to say you might be a little surprised if you knew the identity!!!

Typical troll tool; unnamed, Grand Poobah on the subject giving you (and only you) the real inside scoop! [:S]

Cool!! Subject closed??!!

• Like 1