Volvo V70....Any thoughts?

Tarheel

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tar,

Another way to get on the dealer's good side is to have all your service done there. From oil changes to air filters to tire rotations. Dealers hate my butt because I do all that stuff myself and more.

Years ago, I bought new an Eagle Talon. Great car and still going strong at over 160k mi. (sold it to a friend). One day I was putzin' around under the hood and found that the deflection angle of the timing belt was excessive. I brought it to the dealer and they even found a service bulletin on the tensioner and gave me weird looks that I would even know what a deflection angle was. :)

Good idea Mighty Favog. The wife is very good at having the maintainance done right to the minute. I wonder how many of us here do our own maintainance? I think Speakerfritz does. I haven't since my first car......a TR3. Thats a story for another day but it had a tractor engine and came with a crank?

Buy a Malibu

Now a days equivalent of a 73' Nova.

I wasn't aware that '73 Nova's were awarded Car of the year 2 consecutive years. Nor that they were anything like the current Malibu/Aura models at 30 mpg and 5 star safety ratings. But hey, I was only driving for a couple of years in '73.

Thanks for all the good suggestions. The wife has made it clear through body language, if nothing else, that she wants the Volvo. So we won't be remodeling the kitchen or enlarging the master suite for now. Cost of repairs is a big dread for me plus breaking in a new dealerIck! will not be much fun.

Now do I self finance and pay myself back monthly or do an adjustable home equity at 4% and claim the deductionHmm

Very good and welcomed advice from all. Thanks guys.

I believe your purchase may qualify under the stimulus packages content regarding new vehicle sales and deducting the sales tax and loan interest. As I understand it, it is good for vehicles up to $49,500 and household incomes of 250K or less - even if you do not itemize. Approximately a $1500 deduction on a $25K car/truck. Purchases qualify between Nov 12 2008 and Dec 31 2009.

I would not factor in deductibility of interest if you can pay cash. That's just me, though. I like things better when they are paid-for.

Note of caution: Financial hardship on auto dealers is prevalent. You need to know that if a dealer takes a trade-in from you and the trade-in is not paid-off, the dealer might be living on a float. We've seen dealer's go under and leave a good number of trade-ins not paid-off. How'd you like to get a new car and have to pay for it AND your old car?

Also, if the dealer goes down and has not titled the new car in your name, that can pose a big pain, too.

Be careful making big purchases in today's market. There are lots of business living on the float the best they can.

Tarheel,

Please post some pictures of your purchase, that will help with the Economic Stimulus of the Country ! Oh and Enjoy Work.

Yeah I know Bill its a heck of a time to make a large purchase. I have stalled for awhile to see how many new projects our small company will get in this funding cycle. We should hear this week and that could make me rest easier (or not). In the mean time I called Charlotte Volvo and they have one exactly like the one we are looking at that is a loaner with 4500 miles on it. I should hear back today. Told the wife and she unenthusiastically said "Oh".....she doen't understand the concept of letting someone else pay depreciation!

Thank you Winchester, Mr.Tech, Fotog and Jeff for your thoughts and to Hypoxia for that link (Ford selling Volvo). BTW welcome aboard Hypoxia. A great group of people here.

I would also vote for the Volvo... they are nice cars & usually their safety ratings are excellent. My ex-father in law being from the Netherlands, swore bythem & owned quite a few, a "Volvo nut" if you will. And I sympathize with you on making a big purchase in this economy, BUT we gots to do what we gots to do!

I myself need to get rid of my 2007 G6 GTP that I am stuck in a lease yet with. I need to find some kind of SUV or minivan... something that's more practical anyway. I was angry with myself today as I was fighting trying put the child seat in the back. I was thinking.... "smart choice you made there" pfft...

Joe,

I feel for you being stuck in a lease.........during this time. However check with your Dealer (that you want to buy from) and see what deal they could make.

I think it would be easier for you to trade In a Car than an SUV or Van or a Truck.................Good Luck to you and Your Back..........

I read the story from the above link. Bottom line is Ford is negotiating terms of a possible sale of Volvo with London bankers. If I buy now what would that mean as far as value, service, parts for the V70? Ironically Volvo is saying Saturn is up for sale as justification for low balling our trade in[:S]

Tarheel,

I feel that right now, Volvo still will retain good name brand value. Volvo is correct, in part. GM is TRYING , or thinking of selling the Saturn brand but is is Just speculation at this point...........only if India, or China would be interested. Reports I've read state that India companies are holding off on any purchases and they think that China will only be buying other Chinese brand companies. At this time frame..............

Bottom line..............they got you.....by the short hairs............How bad does your Wife Want the Volvo? Also consider the Idea that IF saturn does sell, how much More depreciation May happen (bottom dropping out) of the Value.............

.Good Luck.........these are scary times. Lots of New losses, things appearing that we took for granted just two years ago...............Whew.

EDIT;

http://www.motorauthority.com/report-gm-may-keep-saturn-and-rebuild-it.html

Good morning Bill. I showed the wife the report from the link provided but she still wants a Volvo. We had the discussion yesterday about what car companies will be left standing with Hummer, Jeep, Chrysler, Saab, Viper, Saturn, and Volvo possibly being sold and GM and Ford in severe financial trouble. Whats left? Kia, Hyundai.......

Scary times is right. The new rich are going to be those with a job[:^)]