Ready to try this again...

mcp

My last experiece with Klipsch was with the Heresy II's. I tried an 8 wpc tube amp and the results weren't great. I now know someone locally who has been making very nice sounding SET power amps from console and organ pulls. I guess my question is: how will the Cornwalls or Chorus speakers sound with 6 - 10 wpc? I found, with the Heresy II's, the bass disappeared when I used the tube amp. My back aches when I think about lugging around either of these brutes. The LaScalas are too big for the room. I don't know if a bookshelf like the RB-75 (maybe with a sub) would be an alternative...any advice?

I would say that many many of the folks here that prefer the Heritage line-up, would say that if they could only own one type, it would with out doubt be the cornwall.....

now onto the amps......they all have there own pluses and minuses especially in the tube realm, there are a lot of variables that influence the characters of these amps.....so it's the type of thing that you need to listen to.......some tube amps are overly warm and muddy the bass.....what you wnt is tight fast bass response like SS has....some tubes do it well, others don't

one of my all time favorite systems was:cornwall II's with a $200 vintage SS sansui AU7900 int......that system did it all, rock, jazz, blues, vocals....and very well....kind of makes me scratch my head and wonder why I have about $12-14K invested now when that $700 system made me so happy

it's very hard to wrong with cornwalls....they are very friendly to a wide variety of amps....l

good luck

mcp,

You no longer have the HIIs?

You didn't mention what the SET was. A quick guess on the bass dropping out is that the impedance swings with the HII crossovers are at fault. It also would depend on what kind of music you listen to. An 8 watt amp just might not cut it for you. My HIIs sound great with my own HK430, and I have been tempted to hook up my 3.5 watt amps, just to hear what they will do. but I don't want to move them back from my LS. I know that my rebuilt Dynaco ST-70 sounded good with the HIIs. I have it out of service at the moment, as I'm swapping out the driver board again (Curcio board to a VTA).

Chorus IIs will want more power than 8 watts. The Cornwalls might work but you probably can't crank them much.

If your SET amp can be switched to 4 ohm, you might want to try that.

Bruce

Yes, I sold the H II's a while back. I just had too many large speakers with the Rectilinear III lowboys that I inherited from my late father in law and the Acoustic Research AR-5's. I will probably regret it someday as I bought the H II's cheap ($150). I wish I had owned my H/K's when I owned the H II's. I think that just a touch of bass from a subwoofer would have made for an excellent full range system.

• 2 weeks later...

It was an Eastern Electric integrated...

I was using an 8 watt Eastern Electric Mini Max with RB-75's and an LF-10 sub. With a JMA Peach ll preamp that was a nice sounding system. I even had Heresy's in there for a while but much preferred the RB-75's.

That system sounded great........but not quite enough "umph" for my listening habits. [:D]