Raising Sand CD wins 5 Grammys

dtel

• Moderators

Robert Plant and Alison Krauss Cd wins 5 Grammys, record and album of the year.

http://music.yahoo.com/read/news/12174849

2009 Grammy Winners:

Album of the Year: Raising Sand - Robert Plant and Alison Krauss
Rock Album: Viva La Vida Or Death And All His Friends - Coldplay
Rap Album: Tha Carter III - Lil Wayne
Record of the Year: “Please Read The Letter” - Robert Plant and Alison Krauss
Song of the Year: “Viva La Vida” - Coldplay
New Artist: Adele
Pop Collaboration With Vocals: “Rich Woman” - Robert Plant and Alison Krauss
Male Pop Vocal Performance: “Say” - John Mayer
R&B Album: Jennifer Hudson - Jennifer Hudson
Producer of the Year, Non-Classical: Rick Rubin
Female Pop Vocal Performance: “Chasing Pavements” - Adele
Pop Vocal Album: Rockferry - Duffy
Pop Instrumental Performance: “I Dreamed There Was No War” - Eagles
Pop Performance by a Duo or Group with Vocals: “Viva La Vida” - Coldplay
Alternative Music Album: In Rainbows - Radiohead
Solo Rock Vocal Performance: “Gravity” - John Mayer
Rock Performance by a Duo or Group with Vocals: “Sex on Fire” - Kings of Leon
Hard Rock Performance: Wax Simulacra - The Mars Volta
Metal Performance: “My Apocalypse” - Metallica
Rock Song: “Girls in Their Summer Clothes” - Bruce Springsteen
Rap Solo Performance: “A Milli” - Lil Wayne
Rap Performance by a Duo or Group: “Swagga Like Us” - Jay-Z and T.I. featuring Kanye West and Lil Wayne
Rap/Sung Collaboration: “American Boy” - Estelle featuring Kanye West
Rap Song: “Lollipop” - Dwayne Carter, Darius Harrison, James Scheffer, Stephen Garrett and Rex Zamor
Female Country Vocal Performance: “Last Name” - Carrie Underwood
Country Collaboration with Vocals: “Killing the Blues” - Robert Plant and Alison Krauss
R&B Song: “Miss Independent” - Mikkel S. Eriksen, Tor Erik Hermansen and Shaffer Smith
Contemporary R&B Album: Growing Pains - Mary J. Blige
Female R&B Vocal Solo: “Superwoman” - Alicia Keys
Male R&B Vocal Solo: “Miss Independent” - Ne-Yo
R&B Performance by a Duo or Group with Vocals: “Stay With Me (By the Sea)” - Al Green featuring John Legend
Traditional R&B Vocal Performance: “You’ve Got the Love I Need” - Al Green featuring Anthony Hamilton
Urban/Alternative Performance: “Be OK” - Chrisette Michele featuring will.i.am
Dance Recording: “Harder Better Faster Stronger” - Daft Punk
Electronic Dance Album: Alive 2007 - Daft Punk
Bluegrass Album: Honoring the Fathers of Bluegrass: Tribute to 1946 and 1947 - Ricky Skaggs and Kentucky Thunder
Traditional Blues Album: One Kind Favor - B.B. King
Traditional Folk Album: At 89 - Pete Seeger
Contemporary Folk/Americana Album: Raising Sand - Robert Plant and Alison Krauss (Rounder)
Contemporary World Music Album: Global Drum Project - Mickey Hart, Zakir Hussain, Sikiru Adepoju and Giovanni Hidalgo
Compilation Soundtrack Album for Motion Picture, Television or Other Visual Media: Juno - Various Artists
Score Soundtrack Album for Motion Television or Other Visual Media: The Dark Knight
Song Written for Motion Picture, Television or Other Visual Media: “Down to Earth” - WALL-E - Peter Gabriel and Thomas Newman
Musical Show Album: In the Heights - Kurt Deutsch, Alex Lacamoire, Andres Levin, Lin-Manuel Miranda, Joel Moss and Bill Sherman, producers; Lin-Manuel Miranda, composer/lyricist
Remixed Recording: “Electric Feel (Justice Remix)” - Justice
Short Form Music Video: “Pork and Beans” - Weezer, Mathew Cullen
Long Form Music Video: “Runnin’ Down a Dream” - Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers
Recording Package: Death Magnetic - Bruce Duckworth, Sarah Moffat and David Turner
Boxed or Special Limited Edition Package: In Rainbows - Stanley Donwood, Mel Maxwell and Christiaan Munro

Did you hear the audience reaction when it got album of the year? It sounded like there were nearly as many groans as cheers.

I haven't heard it and it may be a fine album, it just sounded like a very mixed reaction from the assembled masses.

Of all the "new" stuff that I have listened to in the last year, Raising Sand is about the best - if you like that genre. But then again, that's just my opinion. I like Krauss and I really like the Krauss/ Plant combo. Different? Yes. After listening to Krauss doing the Union Station concert on DTV, and her couple of tracks on "Oh Brother Where Art Thou" soundtrack, I decided to buy the CD. To me it's worth it. It takes a few listening sessions to "grow on you", but it's well worth it. Does it warrant all those Grammy's? Don't know. I cannot guess the criteria applied to the choices. Great CD/LP regardless. Worth a listen if you get a chance.

Was it just me or did Krauss look cold toward Plant? I didn't quite understand. The first time they won he excitedly hugged her and she left her arms at her sides and stood like a statue. No hug for him. She didn't seem to be very warm toward him all night in fact. I did not see her speak either. Plant seemed to dominate at the microphone. Seemed like he didn't want her to talk at first, or she wasn't interested.

The whole thing between them just didn't look right to me for such successful partners.