Custom Entertainment Center

Youthman

• Moderators

This weekend, a friend of mine and I made a custom entertainment center to hold my projection screen. What do you think? [:P] Actually, we spent the weekend building an 11" riser for my rear seats. What a job that was. It was my first wood working project. It's a good thing that my friend has plenty of experience working with wood, electric etc. If you are curious, you can see the photos of the project here. The cabinet guy was supposed to come and begin working on the entertainment center/false wall on Sat but was unable to make it. I'm hoping he can work on them this week so I can mount the screen, hook up the a/v gear and bring my speakers back into the theater room. I'm REALLY missing music. Been without it for over a week now. I feel like I'm having withdrawals. Ordering the Panasonic AE-3000u projector today! I'm so excited. Things are finally coming together and we are very close to being able to watch our first video in the theater room. I'll post pics in the Show Me thread once the front wall and surround speakers are installed.

post-27215-13819446074868_thumb.jpg

• Moderators

Hey that screen has legs ! [:|] If your going to have legs on the screen use the female model, much nicer looking ! [;)]

Nice room I wish I had a dedicated room it looks like it would be fun.

Your friend did a nice job on the riser, well made and the insulation will help with noise and vibration. the carpet came out nice. your going to have a very nice room, keep us updated. [Y]

• Moderators

Hey that screen has legs !

Thanks guys. We put a little over 12 hours building the riser. Way longer than I ever expected but then again, I'm not a "handyman" so I had no idea. Carpet took the longest. Neither one of us had ever laid carpet before. Just ordered the projector this morning. Can't wait to get it up and running. Just gotta get the cabinets installed so we can hook everything up.

• Moderators

Where can I get one of those screen holder things?

I think you can rent Youthman out by the hour Stick out tongue

I think you can, but the price is really really high and he only travels first class [ap] but for the right price he will shave his legs before he holds the screen ! [:o] It's one of those if you have to ask the price you can't afford it things ! [Y]

• Moderators

Ok, Michael had got me wondering if I had made a mistake not running the cables through the front wall instead of just dropping them down fromt the ceiling. The A/V friend that was helping me run the wires suggested doing it the way that we did because there isn't much room between the sheetrock and concrete on exterior walls. Since there will be a custom entertainment center/false wall from floor to ceiling, the cables coming down would be hidden. I emailed another friend to see if he thought I would be able to fish the wires down the front wall and install wall plates. This was his response.

I would use conduit.

You only have ¾ of an inch inside that wall. The HDMI plate would need about 2 inches to make the turn with that thick cable.

You would never get plates to work.

Get plastic conduit at Lowes. Get bigger than what you think you need or it will be impossible to get the wires through. 2 inch should be good. Tie a string around the cables and fish it trough the pipe. If you have a good vacuum cleaner just tie the other end of the string around a wadded up piece of paper and let the vacuum suck it from one end to the other. Push the wires into the pipe. Pull all the cables at one time by the string. If the pipe is big enough you can do this easily by yourself.

I would paint it before installing it.

They have spray paint made for plastic that works well or you can prime it and then paint it the color of the wall.

I think it's probably the best approach. What do you think?

A couple of ways to approach the wire deal if you really want to clean it up. If you leave the wires coming through the ceiling you can do a drop detail in the ceiling that would finish out just above the height of the custom entertainment system and it would add another dimensional detail to the room. The second thing you could consider is cutting out some sections of drywall and actually getting the wires run in the rear wall (it's just drywall, mud and paint). The third thing to consider, and I believe someone metioned something similar, would be to build two symetrical details (options are only limited to what you like and what you want to spend.) as chases to get the wires where you want them.

Youth,

Check out your local Home Depot. I purchased a tube like system that the wires are placed in and the outside can be painted. It is flat on one side and has am adhesive on it to stick to the wall. I did this to hind the cable wire in the kitchen for an under the counter TV. They also have a flat system that is "U" shaped, this might even be better for you since you have more wires to deal with.

James

• Moderators

Thanks for the ideas. This is a sketch of what the cabinets will look like except I went with a black slate trim instead of wood so that when the lights go down, the cabinet disappears. It will go from wall to wall, floor to ceiling. Room is 13' wide with 10' ceilings.

post-27215-1381944633302_thumb.jpg

• Moderators

If all the wires will be hidden by the entertainment center, and it appears that they will, who cares, leave them where they are.

Yes, they will, the only time they will be visible is if I remove the panel for the right speaker.

If all the wires will be hidden by the entertainment center, and it appears that they will, who cares, leave them where they are.

Yes, they will, the only time they will be visible is if I remove the panel for the right speaker.

yeah mon, das coo- if the cabinet hides all the wiring, why not leave it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

I decided to go with a simple approach...2" PVC tubing, painted black to match the red/black color scheme of the room.. I cut a notch in the bottom for the cables to come through. Although it will be hiden behind the false wall, it will look tidy when I open the door to reveal the RF-83.

cables3.jpg