Forte IIs vs Reference stuff

carbon summit

Its been pretty slow at work today so I found myself looking around the Klipsch site and got curious about the Reference line. I'm pretty happy with my Forte IIs and not really looking to change to Reference stuff but I'm just curious if I'm missing anything? I know the Reference family has quite a few members in it so thats a broad question to as but I'll still ask it since I have no point of reference since I've never even heard a single member of that family to help narrow the comparision down.

but I'm just curious if I'm missing anything?

Refrence are great speakers but I would not say you are missing anything. The Forte II is perhaps the best bang for your buck of any Klipsch speaker. The quality of sound you get out of the Forte IIs for what $300-500 is hard to beat!

Are the Refrence better than the Forte IIs? Only you can answer that by listening to the Reference line to compare to the Forte IIs.

I had La Scalas and had to sell them but managed to keep my Fortes and have not felt any real withdrawls since my living room is small and could never use the La Scalas to their potential.

• Moderators

Refrence are great speakers but I would not say you are missing anything. The Forte II is perhaps the best bang for your buck of any Klipsch speaker. The quality of sound you get out of the Forte IIs for what $300-500 is hard to beat!

Are the Refrence better than the Forte IIs? Only you can answer that by listening to the Reference line to compare to the Forte IIs.

I agree completely, although I do love the midrange of the LaScala .

Later in time I plan to get a single Heresy lll for center and use the Cornwall lll's for mains, this would free up some space for the speakers she wants.

, I asked my wife would you want to get rid of all the Forte ll's and switch to H lll's. She said i don't care but you will keep at least one pair of forte ll's just because I like them so much, I agree.

I had RF-7s and found a craigslist ad for $275 Forte IIs. To be honest I bought them intending to re-sell them for a profit on eBay. I hooked them up to my receiver to make sure all the drivers worked properly and fell in love with them. I did several A/B tests and my best friend that helped me pick up for Fortes liked the sound of the Fortes over the RF-7s also. I guess it comes down to preferring a three-way design. The midrange horn on Forte IIs is so smooth and dynamic.

If I would have had upgraded crossover networks in my RF-7s and a proper amplifier it more than likely would have been a much harder decision. But, that would have been a much more expensive road to travel on compared to what I have now.

I have owned both Forte IIs and La Scalas.

IMHO it depends on what you listen to. If you are in into Loud Rock and Movies stay with the Fortes and save some cash. Playing ACDC, Led Zepplin, DMB etc. Loud just sounds better on Fortes.

I recently did a side by side comparison to Fortes IIs and La Scalas and was surprised how good the Fortes sounded with some good equipement but they just did not sound smooth or as accurate on Non Rock n Roll or turned down below roughly 90 -100 db

If you listen to a more Jazz, Female vocals etc. and you need to be able to place the speakers just about any where and still have them sound good, go with the La Scalas. The vocals are great.

If you have good corners check out K-horns.

I need to hear a good set of K-horns in the right room with right amps because the few pair I have heard were not in the best location or with wrong amps so I think my La Scalas with a Good Sub sound better than any of the K-horns I have heard.

It is a little unfair of a comparison since I have Bob's Tweeters and ALK B networks.

The one pair of cornwalls I have heard did not keep up with the Forte IIs. More Harsh in the mids and the bass was not as good as Forte IIs the right distance from side and back walls.

I have listened to Herseys but it was in college, they sounded incredible, a toaster also sounded incredible at that time . . . so I would have to listen to them again.

My Forte IIs have nothing to worry about, there isn't a plan to replace them with the last offereings from Klipsch. I was just curious but as I sit now listing to some music as I type I really see no reason to look any where else. Not to say that there are not speakers, Klipsch or otherwise, that wouldn't sound better but I'm really happy with what I've got now and should just leave well enough alone and enjoy!!!

It was just a slow day at work sitting at my desk checking out the Klipsch site and I got curious. Lots to chose from:

Palladium Reference Icon Synergy Heritage

I've heard of Palladium but don't hear too much about them really. Reference is spoken about often and notice them on different member's signatures. I never hear much about Icon either. Synergy is the stuff that Best Buy and the likes sell if I'm not mistaken, not sure if its good or bad really, and of course Heritage we all know.

I guess I asked about Reference because that is what I see most people having or talking about.

although I do love the midrange of the LaScala .

Same here! When you have a very good recorded material the LS or KHorns sound is incredible! The problem is most recording are not great, if your luck they are okay.

The thing I've noticed with Fortes compared to the La Scalas is that the Fortes will take alot of music that sounded bad on the La Scalas and sound okay even good on some on the Fortes.

The La Scalas are soooo unforgiving on bad recordings it was frustrating. That is one of the advantages of Fortes, Chorus, and Cornwalls.

• Moderators

I personally chose the Reference because at the time, the dealer did not have Heritage. It wasn't until I came to the forum that I heard about Khorns and LaScalas etc. I have never listened to a set of heritage speakers but I don't see myself ever moving to them. No offense but I have never liked "old looking" speakers. I'm a very modern type of guy. Don't care for vintage amps, vintage cars, and especially vintage speakers. My RF-83's totally fit the style and soudn that I was looking for in a speaker. Just my personal preference.

and especially vintage speakers.

Now the Heritage is still being made today so it is not vintage unless you buy used.

That is whats great about Klipsch is they have managed to have many different product lines for different tastes.

Reference and Heritage are both great lines.

True but they still look vintage. I prefer more modern looking speakers.

LOL!!

True speaker beauty is in the eye of the beholder! As is the speaker sound, everyone likes different things.

I have not had a chance to hear the RF 83s but did hear the RF 7s which were very good but still think the Heritage line is better IMHO. That is why Klipsch has been smart in developing different lines of speakers at different target markets.

The best thing about the "modern looking" Reference line is the copper colored woofers which gives them a very nice look. You just want to take off the grill cover and put them away so you can see the copper woofers.

The Paladiums speaker cab look outstanding but then they put woofers in that do not match the cabnets to me. To me it is like WOW look at the cabinet and then you see the woofers and it takes something away from the overall apperance IMHO.

I have not had a chance to hear the RF 83s but did hear the RF 7s which were very good but still think the Heritage line is better IMHO.

Well I hate to do it but I know quite a few people who have UPGRADED from heritage Cornwalls to RF-7s. I have also heard about one time when an employee at Klipsch was doing some testing with a few guys from this forum and couldnt tell the difference between an RF-7 and a Khorn that was playing. So take it all with a grain of salt. I personaly have listened to Herseys, Cornwalls, RF-83s and KLF-30s and would not trade my RF-7s for any of them. So it's all subjective but to say that heritage is better across the board is non-sense and has been proven otherwise on many occasions.

IMHO.

So it's all subjective but to say that heritage is better across the board is non-sense and has been proven otherwise on many occasions.

I did say IMHO, In My Humble Opinion. I did not say that anyone who prefers RF 7 or RF 83 are wrong.

Obviously you really enjoy your RF 7s and prefer them to KHorns and other Heritage speakers that is your opinion and I'm not trying to change your mind or bash the Reference series.

Also if people have gone from Heritage to Reference then that is great and I'm happy they are happy but does not change the fact I prefer the Heritage over the RF 7( I will give you the RF 7 will sound better than the Heresy) . I have not heard the RF 83s so I can not honestly say I like the Heritage line better.

I have heard Heritage speakers, KHorns, La Scalas, Cornwalls in systems that sounded very bad but I have also heard them in systems that sounded outstanding! I have also heard RF 7s in systems that sounded outstanding and have heard them in systems that sounded very bad. Both are great lines of Klipsch speakers but I still prefer the Heritage and I am only speaking for me.[:D]