1080i.....1080p ??

oldenough

tell us what you have and what you are buying. someone will help you out and explain it to all of us.

i know that if you buy a flat panel tv 32" or smaller get a 720 P. anything bigger get the 1080 P

The question wasn't in regard to anything specific at the moment, but I may up-grade my receiver in the future and a PS3 is on the way. The Tv I have is a panny 43" rear projection, and it is 1080i.

i know that if you buy a flat panel tv 32" or smaller get a 720 P. anything bigger get the 1080 P

That rule is no doubt good for many or most, but I have a 32" Sony Bravia, and, while the difference is small pretty small, I'm pretty sure I can tell the difference between 720p (ABC) and 1080i (NBC, PBS). However, not everyone sees the differences that I sometimes do, on different monitors.

At CEDIA, a few years back, they said anything really 50 to 55 inches below.. It is VERY hard to tell.

The thing is, when your content is "dialed in" at 720p, it is just outstanding!!!!

Now at 120 inches.. with HDMI and a great projector + a great screen, those blue rays at 1080p will STILL depend on the transfer... of those few movies that will shine YES, YES, YES it will shine.

But day to day Broadcast TV was never meant to be 120 inches anyhow... We push it to that! LOL

So all your great sports and HDTV will be at 720p, with a few exceptions at 1080i. It depends on the content

Roger

Not true by definition...

I means interlaced... so half on, half off... (Clap clap .. hehehe... Sorry, I could not resist!! OK, serious now...)

P is progressive, so all on...

That is why in sports occasionally 720p is better than 1080i because of no ghosting....

I would say they are in the same ballpark yes....

What I am trying to convey here is this.. In very few cases, will it ever seem like night n day... in a very good 720p player vs a 1080p one.

Now what you see at any store is 480i or even 480p vs 1080p ..Well of course it looks great too! It better, or something is wrong!

So that will teach me to ask a simple question Confused I guess I'm not gonna worry about it. Anybody got a link to somewhere that may explain what it means in real life??

In terms of real life, 720p/1080i (basically the same thing in real, usable terms) are what you will get from any satellite or cable HD service.

1080p is really only available en masse from a blu-ray player (which you will have with the PS3).

Now, your current TV (I assume) is 720p/1080i. However, you will still see a nice improvement in the quality of your movies (especially in blu-ray form).

Roger can probably attest to that with his Sony BPD-S550 blu-ray he got a while back, and his projector is "only" capable of outputting 720p.

Did I help even a little?

Ironically it can take in 1080p, but your correct, the output (look at naitive resolution) is 720p on my Infocus 7210 as explained.

Between 1080i or 1080p input it has to downgrade it... So 720p is a better format for my projector.

If you have cable, you will get the best picture at 720p too.

If I could today buy a new projector, I would get a 1080p one probably as well.

But with so many out there, it would be a tough one to pic the right one. It is nice to see the prices fall finally. Just like whaen I searched not all 720p projectors are equal... And do not forget to get a fantastic screen to match your room and projector too. <<< This is actually VERY important too. I have a very nice Day Lite one at 106" it is stunning!

You could not touch a 1080p projector for under 10k, 15k just a few short years ago! Now were looking at 3k and below...

So in order again... from worst to best.. 480i, 480p, 1080i, 720p, 1080p.

Look at "naitive resolution" to judge if your HDTV or Projector can do it.

One last thing.. The upconversion of the Sony makes the older movies look almost "blue ray ish" it really is pretty darn good!

In the end...your a safe bet with HDMI in a pre pro....

And a number of years to enjoy it too... I think (gulp) were going to be at 1080p for some time...

So if your looking to jump in.. Your at a good place to start! Go for it!